Are Personal Trainers worth the money?

Options
Just asking because i am considering hiring one but cant afford more than one hour a week. is this enough to get me on the right track to weight loss and fitness or is this something i will have to invest serious money. PI's here cost about £40 an hour!!

i will of course do other work outs set for me throughout the week. Does anyone have any opinions on this? x

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    what do you need a trainer for? To navigate around all the machines at the gym or to reach a weight loss/strength goal?
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i was thinking to come to my home and help me with the equiptment i have and to work outside as well?? Get my stamina up so i can run etc.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Hell yes! He's like my therapist too.. If I'm having a bad week, he put me back in check and on track =)))
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Hard question. I guess if you have the disposable income and it gets you motivated to show up, it's worth it. Most are expensive and, in my opinion, there are better ways to spend your money.

Taking a couple tours around the gym with a trainer to set up a routine is probably a good idea. Beyond that, the problem may be motivation.

Don't get me started on Motivation and/or Life coaches.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Whether you will benefit from a personal trainer depends on you and the trainer.

I've known truly fantastic PTs that have helped me get great results, they were innovative, knowledgeable, etc.

It kind of depends on what you want to achieve, how much knowledge you have, how self motivated you are.

Stroutman on this forum did a great blog on how to pick a PT... Track him down and get him to send you the link.
  • IanRS
    IanRS Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It can be useful to get a programme and motivation to ensure you stay on track, but if you look around he internet you can easily decide on your own exercise - I guess it depends how well you will stick to it. :-)
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It depends on the trainer and your goals

I have had 3 trainers in the past 4 years - the first I grew out of - she was good when I started but I moved beyond what she could do for me - My second trainer helped me hit a 4 hour marathon - she was totally awesome and we are still best friends - unfortunately he now lives 700 miles away ! My current trainer is my old trainers trainer - he is also awesome - and as a natual body builder he understands nutrition VERY well. Not all trainers understand nutrition - or even you specific situation - you need to interview them - discuss your goals and what they can do for you.
  • snoland81
    snoland81 Posts: 19
    Options
    If you cannot stay accountable to yourself then a PT is worth the money. My friend is a PT and there are people I know she works with that would NEVER have lost the weight on their own. I think a lot of what holds us back from our potential is in our minds. We need to reprogram what we think and why we think those things and I feel like a PT checking in on your progress even just once a week can make you think and do more exercise when they aren't around as well as make healthier choices on food when you are out. Too bad you don't live in my town. My PT only charges about $13 an hour!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I agree I think it depends on the personal trainer and you, if you can find a good match then it is worth it
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the trainer, I've had an experience on both ends....

I hired a trainer at my last gym and lost a measly 10lbs (in 8 months) ... but I gained a ton of information in the process... including a one on one in the grocery store explaining what foods are good vs bad foods... I could have seen a nutritionist and got tje same information for probably about 1/5th of the money (here my training was about $30 for 30 minutes)

Now I am with a new trainer at a different gym... I have gained strength in the lat month I have been with her... she works me hard! and I believe she is my key to sucess... We do not use machines.. and she pushes me when I need that push and even when I don't (for sake she made me jump rope) ... It's only been a month, but I am happy with this purchase (@$50 per 30 minutes)

So it really depends on what your looking to get out of your trainer.... the knowledge that they share with you and the amount of energy they will give you when it comes to working out. Do your research be sure you are getting what you pay for... and not someone that just went online and got a certificate.... You want someone that is going to work for you... after all you are their BOSS>
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have poured all our extra money into a personal trainer for 3 hours a week each and it has made a world of difference!! It does completely depend on the person to though. We both needed someone to give us that extra push and knowledge. If you already have the motivation but just need the knowledge you may want to get one for just once a month to set up a program for you and to help keep you on track. Since my hubby and I both have a long ways to go in our journey we really needed the extra help :)
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    sounds like you have better things to spend your money on - that one hour wouldnt be worth it to me. do you belong to a gym? my gym has a free consultation to show you how to use machines, etc. if you have one, use it for that and then do what you know you need to do and save your hard-earned money for a new outfit when you lose your weight :)
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers are good if you are going to soak them for all they are worth.Knowledge of the exercise and form is a must. Make sure they are showing you 3-5 exercises per muscle group so you can change things up every 4-6 weeks to keep the body guessing. Take notes on the machines/ exercises so you have something to refer back to when you ditch the trainer.

Most recommend 1-2 body parts per day with a day off:
    day 1 back and bi's
    day 2 chest and tri's
    day 3 shoulders
    day 4 legs

total body workouts are good, if you only have a coupld days a week that you can get to the gym for that extra work out....you should have a day of rest for the body part that you exercised before repeating it.

but if you can get there several times a week, then the first option is probably the most efficient.

good luck on your journey
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    My trainer is AWESOME!! I honestly don't think I could have done this without her. It's more than just understanding how the machines work. For me I needed someone to spell out for me what I needed to do, and push me that little bit more. I was my biggest obstacle and I've accomplished things I didn't think I could possibly do.

I also have a workout friend that I go to the gym with...and without him I doubt I would have had the motivation to even begin.

Sometimes we just see the pricetag, but the service is totally worth it!
  • C_Bran
    C_Bran Posts: 254
    Options
    My opinion:

Pay me and I'll send you emails of workouts to do. Better yet, keep your money and I can send you workouts to do.

Trainers are a waist of money. Most people on this site can give you decent information to do adequate workouts and you can ask the people that work in the gym "am I doing this correctly" and I'm sure they will tell you.
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love my trainer! Honestly, I don't need him to show me proper form... I need him to keep me motivated! I have the most difficult time getting in the gym, but having a trainer and appointments for aerobics classes not only holds me accountable for exercise, but also helps me eat healthier since I spend the $$ on training and don't ever wanna feel like I wasted it.

In all reality, people use trainers for different reasons. If you feel like you want one to show you proper form, different things you can do, or work you harder, then by all means it's worth it!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    A good personal trainer can make all the difference. A bad or mediocre personal trainer is probably a waste of money. You don't need a personal trainer to lose weight. Heck, you don't even need to exercise to lose weight. Just pay super close attention to everything you eat, track everything, and balance out your meals and you'll lose weight. However, there's the whole matter of what you'll look like when you lose that weight. It's quite likely that the body you want requires lots of strength training and things other than just pure cardio. If you don't really know how to work a weight room or can't really push yourself very hard, then it could make a huge difference in the way you look and how you feel.

A good personal trainer would be able to tell you what to do and when to get the best results from your body. They would be able to diversify your exercise to prevent injury and give you a total body look which you might desire. They know what you can handle and what you can't and they could intelligently build you up to where you want to be. And probably most importantly, most trainers will be able to push you harder than you could push yourself. Look what Bob and Jillian do every single day on the biggest loser.

I know a lot of people that say they know how to workout really don't. I see a lot of people at the gym using terrible form, that get super focused on a couple muscle groups, that don't workout very hard at all, and seem to be working out without a real purpose. The worst at this are ex-athletes.

With all that said, I don't use a personal trainer. I wish I could afford one, but I can't. I try to watch them workout other people to get ideas and I read everything that I can on training and exercise. I'm doing some of the right things, but I know I'm missing out a lot based on the Total Conditioning class I went to today.

Good luck with your decision.
  • muppetkeeper
    muppetkeeper Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have to declare an interest up front.... my wife is both a personal trainer and a nutritionist!

There are good trainers and bad trainers, but you should always look at a qualified, registered and insured trainer.

In the UK, you don't need any qualifications to call yourself a trainer, so always go for one that is REPS certified, these people will have trained and qualified. That said, there will still be people you may not get along with.

In our experience, 1 hour a week is enough, especially if you are getting dietary advice as well as training advice.

Hope that helps

MK
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    Ive always felt personal trainers are a waste of $$$.... I dont need to pay someone to yell at me & to keep me motivated...and say "come on, you can do it!"

perhaps my impression of PTs is wrong
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It's kinda funny because I never thought I'd like working with a personal trainer, but now that I've tried it, I love it. Not only does my trainer challenge me with new exercises and routines every time I see her, she helps me work past mental blocks and obstacles that I've put in my own way. She's gotten me to do things I never thought I'd be able to do.

I always had the image that personal trainers yelled at you or were borderline abusive. Mine is nothing like that. Not that she doesn't find ways to motivate me, but they are ones that work.

I'd say try it for a few sessions and see if it works for you.