Heart Rate Monitor / Calorie counter

Options
Any recommendations on Heart Rate monitors? I'm looking for one with the chest strap for a more accurate reading. Also, an accurate calorie counter.

Replies

• jacquerd
    jacquerd Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at these, too. I have a HR monitor, but would like one that does calories as well. Polar has some good models for around $100.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    i got my new balance at target for 70.00. it's perfect for what i need it for. you enter your age, weight, gender, etc. and you get yoru calories, etc. easy to use. so worth the money...and i dont have much of it to spend ;)
  • sweetmickey96
    Options
    I have been looking at the "BODYBUGG". It doesn't do the heart rate but how many calories you burn. They use it on the Biggest Loser. Tell me what you think about it when you search it.
  • annpat28
    annpat28 Posts: 42
    Options
    I have been researching for months, it seems that the polar ft7 is the most liked on mfp. I am going to get one today. I am so excited.
  • farrah_eliza
    Options
    I use a polar one and love it
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT7 from Best Buy for $109...Best Purchase EVER.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I have FitBit which counts steps/activity/calories but I'm also looking into a HRM as well.
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    How accurate is the calorie counter on the polar heart rate monitor?
  • lrhopkina
    lrhopkina Posts: 10
    Options
    I have a Suunto - it is great! Has the chest strap, and you can buy additional accessories like GPS as well.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 ($90 on Amazon) and I love it!
  • jesn311
    jesn311 Posts: 43
    Options
    Just bought a polar ft60 this past week, and love it! I checked out amazon and compared them all, and reviewed the comments. Good luck!
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT7 at Academy on clearance for 70$. Usually it's 110$. Glad I got it, been using it since yesterday. Has a chest strap that is comfortable. I hardly feel it at all
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would get a Polar FT7. I have a bodybugg (got in 2008 but did not renew the monthly subscription this past January) and the Fitbit (got earlier this year - no monthly fee) and got the Polar FT7 earlier this month. The FT7 is the most accurate when you are working out for calorie burn. The bodybugg & fitbit you wear all day long if you want to know how many calories you typically burn in an average day. This number was helpful to me to put me in the right beginning category (sedentary / lightly active / moderately active / etc) for your average calorie burn per day. I originally put sedentary bc I work at a desk all day but apparently since I walk around so much before work, at work & after work that label wasn't what I needed bc my daily burn (w/o exercise was over the apx 2000 cal/day).
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at the "BODYBUGG". It doesn't do the heart rate but how many calories you burn. They use it on the Biggest Loser. Tell me what you think about it when you search it.

I have a bodybugg and love it. Message me if you have questions about it.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FS3 from about 4 or 5 years ago and mine does not calculate calories. I do believe the newer HRM's calculate calories. I'm actually thinking of getting a newer one, which will probably be Polar - just not sure which one.

Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

For any of you that bought the Polar FT7 - does that one measure the VO2 (maximimal oxygen uptake) which I have read is important for more accurate results.
  • lhuber1105
    lhuber1105 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    interested in the responses--I have been trying to decide for weeks--I just don't have a big amount of money to spend on one but think one with a calorie counter would be really helpful--I just think my treadmill counts to high and really want to start doing some outside running and would like an accurate count.
  • chris808
    chris808 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi, I've got a Polar FT1 which is the cheapest model. It just shows current, avg and max heart rates reached during a session. In retrospect I'd prefer to have got one which can calculate calories accurately but MFP does a good enough job so I'm happy with the FT1. The most useful feature has been seeing how my upper heart rate has dropped over time as I get fitter and more used to regular exercise. I've started going to a spinning class every week and managed to reach new highs with it!