Why are vegetarian foods never on sale?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
By vegetarian foods, I mean things like tofu, veggie burgers, veggie crumbles, etc. I've been going through circulars and I swear not one of those things has been listed in the 3 months I've looked. Right now they're my biggest expense in my food budget. Luckily fruits and veggies are on sale all the time, but still.

Anyone else notice this?

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    By vegetarian foods, I mean things like tofu, veggie burgers, veggie crumbles, etc. I've been going through circulars and I swear not one of those things has been listed in the 3 months I've looked. Right now they're my biggest expense in my food budget. Luckily fruits and veggies are on sale all the time, but still.

Anyone else notice this?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Check some places like Whole Foods, Wild oats, Earth fare...not sure what's in your market area.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I know! Because they are so much cheaper and you can make them yourself? I don't know. I try to make my own bean burgers and stuff but I guess when you compare meat prices to tofu, etc. it's pretty comparable. I just try not to buy a lot of prepackaged stuff. I find it's a little more expensive to try and cook meat-free for a family of 5.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Check some places like Whole Foods, Wild oats, Earth fare...not sure what's in your market area.
    We don't even have any of these stores in my area...just small independently-owned ones who charge an arm and a leg. I'd really like a Wild Oats to come up here!
  • msarro
    Options
    Think you could list some of those recipies? I'd love to make my own if it would save me over the price for the premade stuff. I have time to cook.
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Anyone else notice this?

Not sure where you are at and what type of ethnic population you have but if you check Indian or Middle Eastern stores sometimes you can find stuff cheaper there that is geared more towards you vegetarian needs. And the cost sometimes is usually cheaper because they have a larger clientale buying the items. Just a thought...plus you might find something new you like.
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Anyone else notice this?

Not sure where you are at and what type of ethnic population you have but if you check Indian or Middle Eastern stores sometimes you can find stuff cheaper there that is geared more towards you vegetarian needs. And the cost sometimes is usually cheaper because they have a larger clientale buying the items. Just a thought...plus you might find something new you like.
  • msarro
    Options
    Most of our local ethnic stores are either Asian or Spanish... I already get my rice and tofu (3lbs of extra firm tofu for 2$!) at the Chinese market :smile:

I'll see if I can hunt down an Indian store too, thanks for the tip! :)
  • turtle
    turtle Posts: 49
    Options
    Veganstore.com has been my pal many a times. They have great deals.