What do you do for a living? I'm at a crossroads.

Options
kuhristeee
kuhristeee Posts: 100 Member
My husband and I were having a conversation this morning about some changes that will be happening in our lives in the near future. In a few months, we are going to the beach for vacation. Fun, right? I know, I'm so excited! Anyway, when we get back, I'm going to start looking for a new job and/or career. And I am so SCARED. Even though it's months away.

My husband has a good job. The month after we get back from vacation, our home will be paid off. That's a good thing and a bad thing. Good, because we won't have to worry with the payment! Bad, because we know we don't want to stay in this place any longer than we have to..and moving away will start the process all over again. Recent changes to our health insurance is going to require us to pay more starting in April. We only have one vehicle at the moment, which will have to change in order for me to work somewhere else for longer periods of time...very stressful to say the least.

Bottom line is, I have to make more money. He's doing all he can at the moment.

I'm scared because I've worked what they call a "dead end job" in the same restaurant since I was 19. I'm 23 now. I have my G.E.D. but as far as education goes, that's it. I want to get a better paying job because we know that in order to get what we want out of life, I'm going to have to get a better job where I can work full time.

I know I'm capable of doing great things, the problem is, I don't know what direction to go. I really don't have any skills, very limited disposable income to pay for training, classes, etc., and I feel like I'm at a stand still.

I was hoping to gain a little insight and advice from some of you as far as careers go. Do you like/love what you do? How did you decide that what you're doing was the right path to take in your life?

Replies

• EdAmundson
    Options
    I am a pasor
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to be a preschool teacher, and was when I was 21.. and then the road led me differently. I wound up not finishing school and landed myself a data entry job, started at $8.00 an hour, which soon led to an Office Administrative Assitant... and now I am an Administrative Manager... making pretty decent oney.

If your not sure what you want to do.. consider a temp agency that will allow you to do multiple things. This will give you experience in some fields that you may not have thought about.

Other opportunities are Nursing.. alot of Nursing Homes offer onsite training well you work... you would start off small and earn your license as you went.

Or is it possible for you to return to school?
  • cwitham5345
    cwitham5345 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Firefighter
  • galaxysue
    galaxysue Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    School crossing patrol (lollipop lady) :bigsmile:
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm in office administration but am working on getting into vet school. That's my goal and I'm not stopping until I reach it.

If you know what you want to do in life, and that career will make you happy, then go for it!

Are there any colleges/universities that around you that have career fairs? Those are pretty informative. Another thing you could do is go to local university websites and just browse the programs they offer. If something looks interesting, make a note of it and then contact the head facility member of that program or go to the registrar's office to get more information.

You definitely want to be doing something that doesn't seem like 'work.' When I get up in the morning, I go to 'work.' When I become a vet, I'll get up in the morning, do surgeries on animals, save lives, make people happy, and get paid for it.
  • KellyS0828
    KellyS0828 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to make more money or have opportunities for advancement, go back to school. I know you have limited income, but if you speak with a counselor at your local community college, she can show you what is available to you for financing. I went back to school in my late 20's, after my 3 kids were born. Best thing I ever did. Now I'm a RN, with many opportunities. Trust me, it would be the best thing for you.
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    wow I feel like I could write a book here - I'm somewhat in the same boat. I can totally relate. I have (within the last 4 months) began looking for a new job. I have my degree - a broad business degree. It was never something I thought i'd go to college for, but I loved it then. I'm not so sure I love it now. Like you, I can't just up and go off to college becaue i've changed my mind. And who knows...maybe i'd change my mind again. :)

Anyway, the job search is SCARY I have been with the same company for 5 years (my first adult real job!!) And now i'm unhappy and I am having mixed feelings about leaving. It's like being in a bad relationship, but it's comfortable so I'm having a hard time. I have had 2 great interviews and i'm hoping to hear back very soon.

All I can say is take it one day at a time, the nerves will get better. And explore, explore, explore - I like the idea of a temp agency where you can get exposure to different jobs and companies. Try not to plan so far into the future (house, cars ect). I do the same thing so I know it's hard not to do, but it's something that I try to remember everyday.

BTW, I thought I almost forgot - I'm 25 years old, I work for a major food company in sales. I'm looking to change into more of a marketing role.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Im a stay at home mom now,but before that I managed an adult bookstore.I loved it and plan on trying to find another job in that field when my youngest starts school.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I am a Financial Sales Advisor...who just yesterday put in my two week notice. I am soon transferring to another job as an insurance agent.
  • Fatbully
    Fatbully Posts: 9
    Options
    I feel your pain. Economically so many are making changes that wouldn't normally take place but the current trend now calls for change. I've gone to school and am over qualified with my BA. I am going back to school to pay off my previous debt for school, crazy, I know. I don't see another way around it and I have two options...1) go to school paying less in tuition with a bigger payout or 2) paying more for school with possibly a bigger payout. #2 is more fun and #1 is more rigid.

This isn't about me and it's about helping you so my suggestion is to do what I plan on doing. Write down your interests, look them over and write out pros and cons of each interest as it pertains to a career. Go to the said job's Job Outlook on google to find out if you have what it takes, as they list personality requirements, basic skills necessary, schooling necessary, projected salary in the next few years and average overall income for someone in the field you are looking at.

Also, meditate on this. It doesn't have to be monk-like. Simply spend sincere time contemplating on whether or not you can see yourself in these fields you are interested in. The job market is so tough right now that I wish you all the luck. If you have school loans hounding you, I feel for you because that's where I am. Don't settle but choose something you know you will stick with.

As for me, I think I'm going with #2 since typing this to you. I need to choose something I will stick with even though the payout potential is there but not certain. Any questions, send me a msg. I'd love to hear how this turns out for you. In the meantime, enjoy that well deserved vacation and try to focus on you and your husband because the job/search will require more time away from each other. Money isn't everything, I always say, even though it makes things easier, it can own us in a huge hurry.

Enjoy the sun and have a margarita for me:)
  • Crissy_jo
    Crissy_jo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a scientist. I went to the local university for a couple of years on scholarship, but really hated it. It was too big for me, I felt lost in a sea of students. I quit and worked two jobs, one full time as a bank teller, and part time developing 1 hour film. Both were ok jobs at the time, but didn't pay much. I knew I needed to eventually finish school.

After 2 or 3 years of working 2 jobs, I came across a community college brochure and found Laboratory Technology. It hAd a curriculum with a lot of science - which I knew I enjoyed, and not a lot of the extra fluff you have to take at a 4 year school (sociology, psychology, art, history, etc). So I enrolled and completed it in about 1 1/2 years. Although it was an associates degree, the coursework was very good and I'm a scientist at the largest pharmaceutical company in the world now. My other option was Medical Lab Tech, but I knew the hours with a job like that could easily include weekends, holidays, nights. That's why I went the other route.

A community college can help you find a program that fits what you enjoy. They have tests you can take, and I'm sure there are even some online. Perhaps start here: http://www.careertest.net/
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    put off moving into a new house and with the extra money finish your degree.
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've worked several different jobs in my past. I'll take you through my various jobs... I worked as a real estate agent for two years. I absolutely hated it. I loved the people I worked with and I actually loved what I did (looking at houses, filling out contracts, etc) but there was just way too much schmoozing involved and I felt sleazy advertising my services to friends and family. There's a lot of upfront costs and the pay is unsteady (but great when you finally do sell a home...commissions are usually around 4,000-6,000). Unfortunately, you can go many months without selling a home. Way too stressful! Plus, I always felt like I was working because people call you at all hours.

Then I worked as a property manager. I loved that job. You work a regular schedule. You sit at a desk all day. The bulk of your work is just showing apartments, answering phones, addressing complaints, keeping track of payments and filling out work orders. There's a lot of down time during which you can read books or surf the internet. It's great. The only reason why I left that job was because you have to be on-site (they provide you with an apartment to live in) and my husband and I bought our first house so we had to move. The only downside was that the pay wasn't great ($10 an hour).

Then I worked as an administrative assistant for a small CPA firm. I hated that job. I made $12 an hour which was nice at the time. The work was not difficult but the bosses were major a-holes and you had to pretend to be busy all the time even though there was really nothing to do. I left that job after just a couple months because I couldn't deal with their many neuroses. But I don't think that is always the case. They were just crazy.

Then I got a job as a salesperson at a local shoe store. I wasn't planning on going back to retail but the job fell in my lap (the manager is a friend of mine). That was probably the best job I've had so far, as far as benefits are concerned. I routinely make between $18-20 an hour working entirely on commission. It's not unheard of for me to make $300 in a day (although that's usually around Christmas time). They have full health benefits (including dental and vision) for full time employees. They offer retirement plans and vacation days. Plus, at my store, they offer you a very flexible schedule. You basically get to choose when you work and how much you work. A lot of people who work there have chosen it as their career. However, I have major issues one of my co-workers (and no real passion for shoes) so I finally decided to give my two weeks notice. I get along great with all my other coworkers, though. So, I have finally decided to say goodbye to the fat paychecks and go back to school to pursue my passion for education.