30DS - push-ups

Options
Today is going to be day 3 of level 1 for me with the 30DS!!!!! Even though it has been tough I have enjoyed knowing that I am getting a good workout and will continue to get a good workout in on the days when I have limited time. The only problem I am having is with the push-ups. In the past I have injured both of my wrists and they can't take the pressure that is being put on them when I do a push-up (even the easier version). I have attempted them both days but I just want to cry from the pain that is in my wrists not the burn in my arms. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do instead of push-ups at that point during the workout? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Do you have a wall nearby? If so maybe you can do wall pushups.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    What about something like dolphin raises (or whatever they're called) from her Yoga Meltdown? It's basically a plank but you're on your forearms instead of wrists. Then you basically push back (so your butt is in the air), keeping your abs tight, and come back down. Still working shoulders, abs, etc, but not the wrists?
  • AFitasticYou
    Options
    I have read that doing push ups on your knuckles will release the strain on your wrist.
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    Level 2 you will spend a lot of time in push up position. I'm thinking the same thing use a wall to lessen the pain. Keep it up and good luck!
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Do you have a wall nearby? If so maybe you can do wall pushups.

Wall pushups are a great modification.
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    you could try doing the push ups on your knuckles if the problem is having your wrists flexed, failing that you could do chest flies and/or tricep extensions to work the same muscles.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have been doing wall push-ups....I just don't have the arm strength yet....
  • im2spooky4u
    im2spooky4u Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have one wrist that is very painful to do pushups with, and one that isn't quite so bad. Some of the things I have tried and have worked at different times are making a fist and doing the pushups on the knuckles so the wrists are straight, having some kind of cushion (like a folded up towel or small pillow) under the hands, for walk out pushups (the ones where you start in a standing position and bend down) I walk out on my finger tips then when its time for the pushup I put the palms down to the floor. And For the walking pushups (the ones on the ground where you walk side to side) I sometimes have to go down on my forearms and "walk" on my elbows then hold plank for a second before walking to the other side.
  • dthompson9405
    Options
    i dont know if this will help since you had injury before. but i saw a video on youtube that talked about doing the perfect pushup and how your wrist (nor elbow) shouldnt hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwRLWMcOdwI
  • kstoll
    kstoll Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow.......thanks for the awesome ideas and tips. I can't wait to try some of them out when I get home from work. The video was great also with some handy tips for push-ups. So glad I found this website.....full of support right when you need it.

Thanks again!
  • tnkbest
    tnkbest Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I find (especially in level 3) that all the plank poses put a lot of pressure on my wrists too. I just try and do the best that I can. So be prepared that there will be more moves putting pressure on the wrists. Stay safe while doing them.
  • kstoll
    kstoll Posts: 10
    Options
    I have been doing the wall push ups and they have helped a great deal. When I do those I don't have any of the pain in my wrists. I am hoping after I build more muscle that I can maybe go back to regular push ups.

Thanks for all your advice!!!