Why do my legs hurt?

Options
Hello Everyone
Sometimes my legs (from about the knee down) are feeling like they want to explode, they get very tight and hard. It becomes uncomfortable even painful to squat to file. I am not a diabetic, it doesn't even run in my family. I'm keeping my sodium levels as low as possible. I can't imagine why this is happening, its not all the time either, just once in a while. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Shirley

Replies

• chris1132
    chris1132 Posts: 58
    Options
    Do you take birth control pills? That sounds like one of the potential side effects. You may want to see your doctor.

I hope you get it figured out!! :)
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    you could be taking in too little sodium or pottasium - sounds like you are getting cramps -
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    if you're working out or running, could be shin splints.
  • tnkbest
    tnkbest Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would suggest having it checke out also. Not a normal thing to happen.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Swelling of the lower legs is called peripheral edema. It is usually nothing to worry about and can simply happen when you stand too long. However, it can also be a symptom of some serious underlying conditions, so do please check with the doc.
  • brafordrm
    brafordrm Posts: 19
    Options
    It could be a number of things. Sounds like some bad swelling though. Either you are straining yourself by exercising improperly or too hard...or you are eating something that is making you retain water. At any rate, if its that bad, you should find out.
  • amandakay3000
    Options
    veins? i have this problem right on my shins. it feels how you explained. i can't really see anything except a bruise now and then, but a doc diagnosed it.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    too lttle pottasium maybe....?......
    if it continues I would go to doctor to get it checked out to be on safe side.
    Hope you figure it out soon....good luck!!
  • skyle954
    skyle954 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks all I'll make a Docs appt and will advise....