How Many Calories do we really burn in Zumba

Options
I have just recently joined the Zumba train and I'm trying to get a range of how many calories you actually burn. Because I did some research and it says you only burn 600 calories per hour. How true is this? Help someone please!

Replies

• Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It depends on how hard you work it. Anywhere from about 500 upwards. My instructor says 800 but i'm not too sure about that.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor during Zumba and I've burned anywhere from 300 calories to 650 calories in a 60 min class depending on the intensity of the class, the motivation of the instructor, and the song/routine choices. Keep in mind that I'm small and lean so I don't burn as many calories as someone who has more weight to lose. I highly recommend getting your own heart rate monitor so that you will have a more accurate idea of what you are burning. We all burn different amounts depending on our age, weight, activity level, overall fitness level, and the intensity with which we workout!
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Min instructor says you burn between 500-1000 calories. So I just log 500. x
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My friend and I also wear a HRM during Zumba. She weighs 170 and at the time, I weighed about 240. We burn between 500-650 calories.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Last time I did Zumba I burned 376 calories according to my Body Media. I weight 162 and am 46 yo.
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well my class is very intense, every time I leave I sweat so much i could ring my shirt out, thats how wet it is. I will ask my instructors tomorrow what they think. Whats the best brand of HRM to get?
  • kajunsarah
    Options
    My HRM tells me I'm burning between 650 to 1000 in 60 mins. It will depend on her dance routine for the day. Our clas is very high intense. So it will depend on how much I push myself in that 60 min.
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Ok, I think i got some clarity now, thanks everyone!
  • kumanisean
    kumanisean Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I went to zumba class last night for an hour and burned 808 according to my heart rate monitor.
  • veggiemuncher12
    veggiemuncher12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 & I LOVE it.. it's simple and costs around $70-well worth the $!