Whey = gas?

Options
Kind of a gross topic, but I've been taking EAS 100% whey protein powder for about a week and a half now and I'm almost considering stopping it because my stomach is so rumbly/gassy! (And we all know what happens after that) I love the taste (chocolate) and I'm not considering switching brands because I already forked out lots of dough for a huge container.

Any suggestions on how to take/prepare/when to consume in order to reduce my rumbly, gassy feeling?

Replies

• andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with the whey but I eventually got used to it and I don't have those side effects anymore....it will get better :)
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Would love to know the answer too.
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think it's just a high protein diet in general. When I'm "on," I'm shooting for 200g of protein a day. Until last week I had never consumed any sort of protein supplement and I still got wicked gas from the high protein diet I was getting from strictly food.
  • gremlet
    gremlet Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I could be totally wrong, but could you be lactose intolerant?

I am, and as well as the usual suspects (milk, cream, cheese etc) whey gives me all the same symptoms. So for me, whey protein and anything with whey powder (like some cereals) is out.

Hope that helps!
  • megsaz
    megsaz Posts: 1
    Options
    You actually answered a question I had! My stomach has been none stop rumbling and hurting. I have recently been eating protein bars for an after workout snack! I now know why my stomach is not liking me lately!
  • LMac423
    LMac423 Posts: 82
    Options
    That's just protein for ya! Definitely cleans you out, that's for sure! Lol.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Most whey protein powders should have little lactose in them, but the body itself takes longer to digest protein, which is why it keeps you fuller longer, but the digestion process will create gas the longer it takes to digest certain foods. It's just a physiological effect from increasing protein intake. I call 'em protein farts. :laugh:
  • allie_00
    allie_00 Posts: 73
    Options
    Thanks for the great responses!

It isn't too bad today, thankfully. I find it the worst when I have two scoops a day. Lol.
  • arodriguez24
    arodriguez24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    drink water before and after it helps a bit, also I find that if it doesn't get better in 2 weeks switch protein brands. It may be that one causing you trouble, like for me there are certain brands I cant handle.