should i just drop out?

Options
sarahazelnut99
sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
It's funny how this subject is actually tied into my weight loss. i started classes at RIT this quarter and im doing terrible. I didnt go to highschool but i got my degree from MCC in liberal arts and ive NEVER failed an exam before in my life. i was always doing everything i could to get an A to the point where a B was failing to me.
Now that i'm at RIT i feel so lost. i got a 65% yesterday on my microeconomics exam, and a 46% on an online financial accounting exam that i spent so long on. the 65 was expected because the teacher is sort of a joke but financial accounting i expected an 80 at least. a quarter cost me abut 10,000 dollars and i have a 2,000 dollar scholarship from doing good at MCC.
Its possible that im in the wrong major...but i also could be in the wrong school.
It just feels like a terrible mistake, i cant stop crying over how hard i worked to get into this school :-(

Replies

• pretentiouskate
    Options
    Tutoring. Is this your first semester? Have you talked to any of the teachers?
  • Angielova
    Angielova Posts: 23
    Options
    what about community college? It's cheaper... Is that where your at now? Its in the past so just try and brush it off. If its too difficult for you then mabye changing your major would be a happier choice for you, or just getting extra tutoring. I've changed my major like 3 times because of the same scenario! ?You'll be OK. I know you hold yourself at a high level, but that shouldn't mean you should beat yourself up more. Hope you feel better!
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think you should explore all the options before dropping out. I would talk to guidance counselor about tutoring, maybe tell the teacher you feel lost, sometimes they will help you after class. If you try everything you can to work it out and then decide to drop out and try something else, you will at least know you tried your best, and that is what is important. Good luck to you.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Well I would suggest taking a deep breath. If you are struggling but still love the material stick with it. It is an adjustment whenever changing learning environments. I was a HS student that studied to make sure I got 100%...but still that meant doing all my homework and reviewing the night before. I got all B's my freshman year in college because I didn't know how to really make studying my job...it took me a while to learn that reviewing didn't equate studying. I felt like a failure that college was not as easy as HS for this smart cookie..:)

I don't know what your study habits are and whether your study habits fits the new learning environment but I will say this...if you feel strongly about the field..ie want to work in that field for at least 10 years then stick with it and work out the kinks...you will figure out how to be successfull...it sounds like that is the kind of person you are...if the major was picked "cuz I am pretty good at math so I thought I would pick this" then it might be time to reconsider and find something that you love.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    10K a quarter is obscene. Thats more than I paid for my very expensive fancy pants private university (graduated in 2007 so not that long ago). Regardless of how well you're doing isn't there a cheaper option? You should talk to your professors re: possibly being in the wrong classes or wrong major or if you are in the right place what you need to work on to improve. Good luck!
  • sarahazelnut99
    Options
    what about community college? It's cheaper... Is that where your at now? Its in the past so just try and brush it off. If its too difficult for you then mabye changing your major would be a happier choice for you, or just getting extra tutoring. I've changed my major like 3 times because of the same scenario! ?You'll be OK. I know you hold yourself at a high level, but that shouldn't mean you should beat yourself up more. Hope you feel better!

i have a liberal arts degree fro Monroe community college and the whole reason why i went there was to get my bachelors in business at RIT s i could try to gt a job in corporate...which is a huge joke since ive been fired from every job ive ever had due to having so many anxiety attacks and always being late some how
  • sarahazelnut99
    Options
    i should just give up and go into stripping, at least id lose weight that way instead of gaining 500 pounds when school gets ****ty
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Is RIT The Rochester Institute of Technology? If so I am familiar with the school, it is my DHs alma mater. I will say that while it was tough going for him -- he said it was the first time he as really challenged -- the education he got there was worth every penny. It laid the ground work for the career he has had for the past 30 years.

Should you drop out? Well only you can answer that question, but bear in mind that your first year in any secondary education facility is always quite a wake up from what ever you were used to before, so I wouldn't do that right away. You said you worked hard to get there. What was it at that time that inspired you to work so hard for this school and not another one? You mentioned that maybe the major is wrong for you. What is it? Why do you think that it might be wrong? And you should not soley judge it on two exam grades. Does the field you are studying excite you? If not why are you studying it?

As to the exam grades, have you determined what you did wrong? Go back and talk to the instructor -- even if he is a joke...try to figure out where you missed the point.
  • sarahazelnut99
    Options
    Is RIT The Rochester Institute of Technology? If so I am familiar with the school, it is my DHs alma mater. I will say that while it was tough going for him -- he said it was the first time he as really challenged -- the education he got there was worth every penny. It laid the ground work for the career he has had for the past 30 years.

Should you drop out? Well only you can answer that question, but bear in mind that your first year in any secondary education facility is always quite a wake up from what ever you were used to before, so I wouldn't do that right away. You said you worked hard to get there. What was it at that time that inspired you to work so hard for this school and not another one? You mentioned that maybe the major is wrong for you. What is it? Why do you think that it might be wrong? And you should not soley judge it on two exam grades. Does the field you are studying excite you? If not why are you studying it?

As to the exam grades, have you determined what you did wrong? Go back and talk to the instructor -- even if he is a joke...try to figure out where you missed the point.

RIT is known for getting people into good jobs and is a really respected school. I really wan to be a pastry chef and i want to own my own business someday. when i was 17 i was determined to be a fine arts major but as time went on i was dating this guy wh made very little money and i realized i wanted to be secure i guess.

i feel like i startd this so i need to stick it out even if i get all Fs...i dont want a W
    and if i cant make any of this better then im done with RIT because its so much money and seeing a grade like that completely breaks my heart, school is all i have in my life. :-(
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Is that school going to make you a pastry cheff?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Hon, you can get a degree to be a pastry chef at a community college. Don't waste $10k just for the name. If you fail, you'll be wasting so much more money than if you failed at a cheaper school. I know you don't want a W but you can retake the class if you drop one you're doing the absolute WORST in. That's after you try to figure out why you're failing and see if you can get help.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It depends -- do you like your business classes and really want to stick with it?

If so, the first quarter at college is always tough. My first paper in microeconomics was a real eye-opener -- I knew that I needed to learn to study. Your college should have a learning center where they can not only teach you the topics, but share study skills as well.

If what you'd really like to do is be a pastry chef -- then go for it! You will probably have alot of fans on this site LOL! Invent an AWESOME tasting dessert that has like, no calories, and has loads of vitamins. Give Paula Deen a run for her money!

Do what you LOVE to do -- the money will follow. I wish I had!
  • Kessiexo
    Kessiexo Posts: 11
    Options
    Try not to get discouraged! I went to MCC and did the 2+2 and going to a 4 year school sent me into a semi-shocked state for awhile. Try your best with grades for the rest of the semester. Email your profs and ask them what your current grade is and what you need to do to get out of the "F" range. I am not an advisor but I personally would rather have a W than an F. A W is not ideal on a transcript but an F has an impact on your gpa and gpa matters when and if you were to transfer schools. If you work really hard for the rest of the quarter and you put your best effort in then you should feel great about it regardless because you made the best of a tough situation. You mentioned you recieved a scolarship from MCC and that awesome and shows that you have it in you to do great academically at RIT also! Summer is right around the corner! Your almost there! Also, you should look into some of the more afforable 4 year schools like Brockport or UB. I use those as examples because they are relatively close if you were staying in the Rochester area. RIT is a great school but if your looking at affordability then its not necessarily on the top of the list.
  • MJKC9397
    MJKC9397 Posts: 15
    Options
    My first question is in regard to the grading system. I know with some professors, they may give what we know as failing grades, but their entire grading system is different, so say a 65 ends up being a B or something like that. I have never figured out the point to that, but nevertheless...

My next question is in regard to your career choice. What good will money do you if you aren't happy? You can rake in the money all day long and be plain miserable. I was in a similar situation, though, upon entering college. I had taken an evaluation test of sorts that supposedly told me what careers I would do well with. However, I knew what my best friend at the time wanted to be, but not me. So I answered the questions to where it would end up recommending that I enter into the same major as her. It worked. She & I even ended up in the same orientation group the week before we started college! ha. As I took my core classes that first semester, I realized more and more I would hate that major. And it did take me a little while to figure out what I wanted to do & which direction I wanted to go in. But I made the right choice for me & switched majors. It seems like such a big, scary thing when your in the middle of it. I understand that so well. It sounds so "typical" to say, but what is your heart saying? You CAN make money doing what you love, too! Life is too short to be stuck doing something you hate all day every day. And it DOES affect your health (including weight issues...) if you aren't happy.

Good luck in your decisions!

P.S. One more suggestion: I'm not sure if the schooling to become a pastry chef is much less than the tuition you're paying now. But if so, why not take what's left & invest it into your future bakery after school's complete? Just a thought...
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    STICK WITH IT PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! When I was 16 I was chosen amongst the best students in my state to attend a magent school for math and science. I lived away from home for my junior and senior years og high school...taking all AP classes and essentially killing myself for the 4.0. I aced the SATs and made my way to college. My major was biochemistry and despite all my preparation it. Was hard. I dropped out thinking I would get a job and go to school fulltime. I enrolled. I got a job. I excelled in both for awhile. My job was going well and dropped out of school. Bing bam boom....I end up with 2 boys...a little more school...a house...a marriage...a divorce. Don't get me wrong, I am happy. My life is very fullfilling and I wouldn't be who I am today without my journey. But I have struggled in ways I could never imagine on the day I was in your shoes. Stick it out. Life is hard, but if you get it out of the way now, you are going to pave a much smoother and successful road for your entire life.
  • aki42
    aki42 Posts: 7
    Options
    Don't drop out, dear. I wouldn't advice that - specially with the current events. The best you can do is to rethink if this is what you really want and if you feel good about this. Then, think about other subjects you like and think about your professional choices.

I don't know much about the American universities so I can't say much. Why don't you check some online courses or, possibly, one of those courses on multiple subjects - what are those called, Liberal Studies? Undefined Studies?
  • kermitcfrog
    Options
    I think you should follow the job line that you would be happy in I gave up a great job as a general manager of a really good restaurant to go back into construction could not stand being in an office all day had to be outside working with my hands. Yes make less money but my happiness is well worth the pay cut, and I a now in the process of opening my own business, so the money will be back. Follow your heart.....