Turkey Tacos?

Options
p_cakes
p_cakes Posts: 282
I'm making dinner tonight and I want tacos...like really bad...and I figured instead of heading to taco bell OR making an unhealthy taco at home I'd make some yummy healthy turkey tacos.
Does anyone have any good recipes?

I was just going to get some turkey, taco seasonings, wheat tortillas, cheese, lettuce, tomato..

Replies

• Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would love to know too(:
  • APirc
    APirc Posts: 6
    Options
    I recommend you use salsa to season the meat instead of the taco seasoning, which is loaded with sodium! Enjoy!
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    when my roommate makes them, she just uses the el paso taco kit and uses ground turkey instead of ground beef. amazing source of protein!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    skip the taco seasoning, too much salt. Add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder (or a LITTLE garlic salt. The sodim content will be much better. Plus you can add hot peppr or other yummy things - like salsa to the meat. I like to add a few kidney beans (drained and rinsed) now and then too.
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I made turkey enchiladas last night.

For Turkey:
    Diced tomatoes (don't drain) (I usually get a mexican blend)
    Taco seasoning - to taste (sometimes I use a whole packet)
    Chili Powder - to taste
    Red Pepper - to taste
    Red Onion chopped
    Fresh cilantro

For Chicken:
    Boil chicken breast
    Shred chicken with hands
    Add all the above seasonings/tomatoes.
    Let simmer

I add seasonings an let it simmer, taste and adjust as needed. :)

Sorry I don't have an exact recipe.
    I always cook from memory.

Squeeze some fresh lime on your taco!! SO YUMMY!!!!

I can't wait to get home and eat the leftovers tonight!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You can make your own taco seasoning!

Here is a link: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=370985

But I think adding salsa is a good idea also!
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Just use ground turkey instead of ground beef and they are very good.
    If you use salsa or picante sauce instead of powdered seasoning watch the sodium also. The picante sauce I had in the house had 250mg of sodium in 2 tablespoons.

Or do a google search for taco seasoning recipe and you will find how to make your own.
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    The turkey enchiladas sound yummy will definately have to try them, but think I will add own seasonings to cut down the sodium. Thanks for sharing.
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing!
    I think I will use this from now on instead of prepackaged stuff!!
  • p_cakes
    p_cakes Posts: 282
    Options
    ohh salsa sounds good, I didn't think aout that. HOWEVER, I'm NOT a big fan of salsa AT ALL. Can you notice it really good? Or does it just add a good mexican type flavor?
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm making dinner tonight and I want tacos...like really bad...and I figured instead of heading to taco bell OR making an unhealthy taco at home I'd make some yummy healthy turkey tacos.
    Does anyone have any good recipes?

I was just going to get some turkey, taco seasonings, wheat tortillas, cheese, lettuce, tomato..

We've done this with turkey burger as I'm a huge fan of tacos and I like them more then with beef to be honest.
  • melissamauney
    Options
    I make them all the time and sometimes I use ground chicken,they are awesome. I don't not use taco seasoning because of the sodium.I also make my own salsa it is really easy.Here is the recipe.

3 or 4 roma tomatos
    1/2 of a medium red onion
    2 jalapeno pepper take out the seeds
    1tablespoon of celantro
    a pinch of salt
    a couple of dashes of red wine vinager
    mix it all together and let it set for a bit.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    If you like a soft shell, consider using La Tortilla multi grain wraps instead of a taco shell. The smaller ones only have 50 cals.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Bump - I want tacos!
  • HoneymoonSlimDown
    Options
    I know McCormicks makes a low sodium taco seasoning too. I'm sure it still has a lot (300mg I think)... but definitely lower than regular premixed seasonings.

Also- La Tortilla factory makes awesome soft taco shells. They make low carb and high fiber shells with only 50 calories, 2g fat, 10g carbs, 5g protein. I love them!!!
  • sarah45040
    Options
    If it's the flavor you want I make a Turkey burger that I love. Either use turkey burger or one of the very lean ground beefs (like an 91/9)

Mix seasoning into patty and grill (either a packet of taco seasoning or your own blend)

Take a sandwich flat bun (like Arnolds) and toast it - best bet is to open the bun, and flip it so the inside is on the outside and then put both pieces in one toaster slot - that way it gets crisp without falling apart

Dice onion, black olive, lettuce or anything you want to add to the burger

Spread 1/2 wedge of Lauging Cow Queso Fresco Chipotle flavor chesse on the bun

Assemble the burger and enjoy.

I've just joined this site but have lost 75 pounds over the last year so I'm all about big flavors. Not sure if that meets needs but thought I would share.
  • cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like to season my tacos with fresh minced garlic, chili powder, cheyenne then add about 1/4 to 1/3 c water to the meat and spices to make a bit of a sauce and I also add a can of black beans to the meat, which ups the fiber and makes it a bit more filling.
  • paleonyx
    paleonyx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Instead of turkey I use TVP (textured vegetable protein) you can buy it at any store, cook and season with taco seasoning and served on the fat free tortillas, YUM- and super light.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing!
    I think I will use this from now on instead of prepackaged stuff!!

I do not buy any type of packaged seasoning now (except Tony Chachere, it's a must in Louisiana, but they make low sodium lol)...I make everything else myself. It's cheaper too!
  • momto2girls
    Options
    We do tacos a lot in this house! I use a little tomato paste, garlic, shallots and cumin to flavor the meat (diced chicken breasts, ground chicken or ground turkey). For toppings I use beans, lettuce, tomatoes, olives (for my youngest daughter), light sour cream and 2% shredded cheese too! I often have a "naked" taco and mix all the above ingredients together and eat without a tortilla. You can find wheat tortillas if that is what you are craving. Good luck!