Carbohydrates, protein and fat ration - losing weight, gaini

Options
For those of you who customize your own settings with a goal to drop pounds, but gain lean muscle.. what is your ratio? I am considering 50% carbs, 30% protien and 20% fat, but I'm not sure if that would work best.

Replies

• Nataliethin81
    Options
    I do 40 carbs, 30 protein and 30 fat. Works best for me. I tend to go over my carbs everyday though but it's mostly from fruits.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    That sounds good, if you want to keep a balanced diet this works great. Others choose high protein and/or low carb. A balanced diet consists of protein from 10-30%, higher is better for growing/repairing muscles (20-30%). Carbs 45-60%, and fats from 20-30%. So you are right in there, should work well.
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm anxious to see the answer myself. I currently have mine set at 45% Carbs, 40% Protein and 15% Fat.

I've had good luck so far ... but wonder if that is optimum?
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    For those of you who customize your own settings with a goal to drop pounds, but gain lean muscle.. what is your ratio? I am considering 50% carbs, 30% protien and 20% fat, but I'm not sure if that would work best.

This is the same setting that I have. I am struggling to get enough protein though and always come too close or slightly over on carbs and fat. I am working on getting a better balance there, but I have also been at a plateau for several weeks. Thus, I am not sure if this is a good ratio or not.
  • sof6bal
    sof6bal Posts: 3
    Options
    We just started the Power 90 regimen and it states to do 50/30/20 (protein/carb/fat) and I'm wondering if this is going to pan out.
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I currently use the Body for Life ratios of 40% protein, 40% carbs & 20% fats. My wife does it so it sounded good.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm anxious to see the answer myself. I currently have mine set at 45% Carbs, 40% Protein and 15% Fat.

Just a question but why so low on the fat%? Healthy fats are great for you and benefit digestion, skin, hair, to name a few. on a 1200 cal diet that would only be 20grams/day, that is not very much.
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    I'm doing Carbs 40%, Protein 30% Fat 30%

But after reading the recommendations below I'm gonna change it.

A balanced diet consists of:
    Protein 10-30%, higher is better for growing/repairing muscles 20-30%
    Carbs 45-60%
    Fats 20-30%
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options

Just a question but why so low on the fat%? Healthy fats are great for you and benefit digestion, skin, hair, to name a few. on a 1200 cal diet that would only be 20grams/day, that is not very much.

Well, I really wasn't sure. I did it like that because I tend to be very close or over on carbohydrates on alot of days ... and I rarely go over on fats. Not a deliberate thing ... I just don't eat many fats anymore. I don't eat meat .. just fish.

I think I am going to change it to 40% Protein, 40% Carbs and 20% Fat.