More MUSCLE = More HUNGRY??

Options
So I added weight training 4-5 times a week to my workouts. I've been lifting 12 lb dumbbells for flys, kickbacks, raises, and presses, as well as machine squats of 120-160 lbs, pulley rows, and ab stuff. I've been doing this for about a month, and I've just noticed an big increase in my 10 am appetite. I eat lunch at this time (I'm a teacher and my day starts at 7:00) and for months a sandwich has been sufficient. Now I crave a sandwich AND something else-- hardboiled egg, yohgurt, cookie, or something else-- in short, about 150 calories more food.

I've heard that adding muscle increases your metabolism but would it be this obvious? Has anyone else experienced a big appetite increase after adding weights?

Oh- I haven't been burning more calories overall since adding the weights, just doing less cardio, still averaging about 500-600 exercise cals/day.

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Weights do burn more calories, just a lot of the burn is after your workout as your muslces grow and repair themselves. Do you take any protein shakes, or have added in any extra protein to your diet? That can go a long way with hunger and helping you get the most out of your workouts.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am finding the same.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    If a change/increase my workout I normally do get hungrier. I do the same cardio in the morning as I have been doing for a while but still eat more for my a.m. snack. If I am changing my workout at all I always make sure to have extra fruit on hand when I am not at home after the workout. I also have a protein shake after my night work out. And if I really want to treat myself I mix my protein shake with chocolate silk light...just a thought (220 calories).
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have added protein shakes, but not as a routine. I drink them once in a while after a particularly tough workout, but otherwise just drink a glass of milk or eat a little granola and yogurt.
  • Brett_Alan
    Options
    I've never noticed any cravings from lifting but I've always had a protein shake or cooked a chicken breast for after workout snack so I don't even give myself a chance to crave food lol
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am finding the same.

Interesting-- we're the same height and weight (almost-- I'm at 150)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I always notice I'm hungier for a just a few days when I up my intensity or up the amount of weight I lift. I add in a little more protein for those days and usually have great results!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    Yup Muscles want food. real wholesome healty food. :-D
  • TheMamaLisa
    Options
    I lift heavy and on my lifting days I find I am ravenous!!! I make sure to add extra protein to my diet that day.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I have added protein shakes, but not as a routine. I drink them once in a while after a particularly tough workout, but otherwise just drink a glass of milk or eat a little granola and yogurt.

it seems you are doing a pretty intense workout, I would really consider adding in a post work out protein shake.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options

it seems you are doing a pretty intense workout, I would really consider adding in a post work out protein shake.
    and a carb for post workout.... don't forget a healthy carb to aid in recovery and absorbtion of those proteins :-D
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I started P90X a couple weeks ago, both cardio and strength work, and i notice on strength days I am ravanous!!! It seems to have calmed a bit this week so far, so perhaps my muscles are calming. Tomorrow is sole weights tho, so I imagine it will be the same.

So yes, I would say that reparing muscles need food!!

Thanks to tips on here, I read that carbs absorb protein too, so I'm sticking to wholemeal bread, cheese and blueberries and yogurt post workout.

Perhaps I will buy the drinks soon, not sure yet.

But my advice would always be, listen to your body; if you're hungry, eat!

good luck hun :flowerforyou: