Using MFP for a week - lost 15 pounds! :)

Options
_Amy_Budd
_Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
I downloaded the MFP iPhone app about a month ago, but didn't start actually trying to lose weight and get healthy until 8 days ago.

I'd been trying to stir myself up to get started for months. Some background on what led to this: I have 2 amazing kids, and I just got through a really messy, long-fought divorce. As that was going on, my father lost half of his foot to diabetes this past fall, and went into kidney failure in mid-December. He's now on dialysis, hoping for a kidney transplant. His foot is still healing.

Last Monday morning, March 21, I weighed in at 329.5 pounds. It is the heaviest I have ever been. 5 years ago, I weighed 298, and in less than a year, I lost 100 pounds. It was awesome. I ran 3.5 miles to celebrate my 35th birthday. It didn't take... for lots of reasons. But that was then, and this is now.

I don't want to repeat my father's story. I don't want to pave this path for my children to follow.

It hit me, late last Sunday night, that I'm going to be 40 in less than 11 months. Wouldn't it be awesome if I could somehow lose enough weight and be fit and healthy enough to run 4 miles to celebrate my 40th birthday?

And something just flipped, in my head, with that arbitrary goal. And so I grabbed my laptop and started a blog, calling it 4milesat40, for me to track my progress, and keep myself accountable, and just make sure that I really process this change in my lifestyle, so that it sticks. Because I really have to get it right this time.

So... Monday morning I was off... Super-healthy eating, and 60 minutes on the elliptical every day. Using MFP to track calories in and out, and journaling on the blog.

I lost 15 pounds. In a week. I know it's a first-week number, and mostly water, and frankly it's proportional to how big I am. But it's still pretty cool, and a great start.

Anyway, I had only used MFP on the iPhone, and just came over to the site today and saw the forums, so I wanted to say hi. :)

Replies

• pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    Options
    That's Amazing! Keep up the Hard Work it will pay off! I love this website and the site has so much to offer! ;)
  • pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    Options
    That's Amazing! Keep up the Hard Work it will pay off! I love this website and the site has so much to offer! ;)
  • tyienna
    tyienna Posts: 39
    Options
    Sorry for your hard times, but you're on the right track! Good luck on all you do and I wish you the best!
  • internetgal22
    Options
    Congrats. Keep up the great work. 15lbs in one week is great.
  • Jessies_journey
    Jessies_journey Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Welcome and Great Job! You'll find alot of support here and we can all get thru our journeys together! :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congrats and keep up the great work!
  • JinnJinn
    JinnJinn Posts: 21
    Options
    Thats awesome! If you did it before, you can surely do it again!! Good luck!:drinker:
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Congrats dear, that's fantastic! Great motivation to keep at it, eh? I've got a smaller start weight (I'm also super short), but I dropped 4lbs my first week and nearly jumped through the roof. That first week loss certainly kept me going through the rest of the month (I hit one month yesterday - 8lbs down). Keep working!! The community here is super supportive and will help you through everything. :)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    That`s awesome!You can do this!!!JUST MAKE HEALTHY CHOICES,EXERCISE AND YOU WILL GET TO YOUR GOALS.T:flowerforyou: HERE`S LOTS OF SUPPORT HERE.
    GOOD LUCK!!
  • malias
    malias Posts: 82
    Options
    Way to go 4miles! That is an awesome first week! Keep up the determination and you will be where you want to be, before you know it! Good to "meet" you and best wishes!
    Mali
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Congrats on deciding to make it stick!! WTG on the 15 pounds as well. We're all rooting for you!!
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Well done, that's amazing! You can do this especially with the support on here. It is my mums bowel cancer and diabetes that has spurred me on. She is still with us but I was following the same weight pattern as her and have decided to sort myself out.

Good luck and feel free to add me if you like
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    How inspirational! Thank you for posting!
  • hotcouponmama
    Options
    That's terrific! I bet you'll be running four miles WAY before your birthday!!
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    How inspirational! Thank you for posting!
  • _LDM_
    _LDM_ Posts: 81
    Options
    Amazing! Keep it up! I love your attitude!
  • joycemhall
    joycemhall Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    WOW! I can't wait to watch your progress. Congrats for taking charge of your life
  • judy02
    judy02 Posts: 19
    Options
    Your story is great motivation thank for posting. Good Luck!!:drinker:
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    .....It hit me, late last Sunday night, that I'm going to be 40 in less than 11 months. Wouldn't it be awesome if I could somehow lose enough weight and be fit and healthy enough to run 4 miles to celebrate my 40th birthday?

And something just flipped, in my head, with that arbitrary goal. And so I grabbed my laptop and started a blog, calling it 4milesat40, for me to track my progress, and keep myself accountable, and just make sure that I really process this change in my lifestyle, so that it sticks. Because I really have to get it right this time.

So... Monday morning I was off... Super-healthy eating, and 60 minutes on the elliptical every day. Using MFP to track calories in and out, and journaling on the blog......

I love reading this: it's the decision process in action. This is that "click" moment that we all have and the rest is waiting for that weight to come off. It can't come fast enough for me. After 15 years of trying and failing, I finally had that "click" moment 2 months ago. I woke up, weighing 312, and said whatever it takes, whatever it costs, whatever I have to change - my job, where I live, my lifestyle - I'm going to lose weight.

Congrats, and keep logging. You'll find tons of support and tons of weight loss success stories to back it up here.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Wow - the support and encouragement here is amazing!!! Looking forward to being a part of this uplifting and positive community. :)