iPod

Options
RoadDog
RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
Since AmberElaine challenged me and my "controversial posts" lately, I might as well round out the trifecta and add iPods.

Love them. Got one. Got players at work, downstairs at the bar, by my BBQ, in the garage, in my car and on my motorcycle. Love music. Listen to it most of the time. I understand the love of music.

Here's my gripe. Kids walking home from school; Earbuds in; head down and texting. Completely unaware of what's happening around them.

Even worse, when I am out walking along trails, I see girls running with earbuds in, totally unaware of their surroundings. Isolated and unaware makes a perfect victim. Couldn't hear a predator if he was right behind them.

Replies

• pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have to have my music when I run. I had quit listening to it for a while and that lasted for quite some time but I started using it again when I run and this is exactly why I only use one earbud. I never have both in when I am running and I am always tuned into my dogs posture etc. If someone is behind me she lets me know whether her ears perk up or if she really doesn't like the person back there she pretty much turns around. She is an awesome watch dog and I can hear them coming because I have one ear that is not being blasted with music.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A valid criticism. Unfortunately, I think most of these same people would be oblivious to their environments even if they had nothing in their ears. Some people are just oblivious (by nature or nurture, who knows), and will walk in front of a train regardless.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am constantly checking my surroundings when I'm out running. And before I go I let someone know & then they know how long it will be before they hear back from me again. Plus I generally run the same routes, but change them up to keep the fishy people wondering which day they will see me again. Also I have several neighbors that keep an eye out for me which is wonderful!

But the kids with the iPods & the iPhones texting at the same time....RE-Dic! :laugh: :grumble: :laugh: :grumble: :laugh:
  • robeeen
    robeeen Posts: 15
    Options
    I can't exercise without music, but I agree with you so I go to the gym instead. I don't want to be hiking outside with earphones in.
  • daniellelorean
    Options
    This is exactly why I don't run down trails. Besides, by running through a trail I feel as if you don't take in the surroundings either. You're simply rushing by, an iPod makes it even worse. If I were to travel down a trail, it would be by walking, no earbuds in. Listen to the birds, the water, and nature. Another note: It also depends what trail it is. If it is a trail in a highly public concentrated place, I would be more weary of my surroundings. If it was a trail close to my neighborhood where I knew most of the people, or a trail on a school campus, I would be less inclined to worry.

As for walking home from school with earbuds in and texting: I do it. When I'm walking back from my classes to my apartment I'll have my headphones in listening to music. If something suddenly occurs to me and I want someone to know about it, I will text them. I feel like listening to music while walking back from classes is more of a: I have something to occupy myself with. After walking the same path day after day after day, it gets a bit mundane. Music provides a bit of an outlet. Also, sometimes I'm not even listening to music, but my professors lectures from the day before so I can constantly be fresh with the information. And, what's funny about this, to me, is that I actually have to stop typing this because I need to get to class before I'm late. :)
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I have to have my music when I run. I had quit listening to it for a while and that lasted for quite some time but I started using it again when I run and this is exactly why I only use one earbud. I never have both in when I am running and I am always tuned into my dogs posture etc. If someone is behind me she lets me know whether her ears perk up or if she really doesn't like the person back there she pretty much turns around. She is an awesome watch dog and I can hear them coming because I have one ear that is not being blasted with music.

Please be careful. Where I walk and where I see everyone running is a beautiful trail called the "Springwater Trail". It's a 40 mile loop and travels through some beautiful country, but there are forested areas on at least one side and in many places both sides. It's very isolated and beautiful, but there are homeless people living in the woods, there are predators waiting for someone to attack, rape or rob. I'm not being paranoid. It happens all the time. I don't want to see you hurt. I'm glad you have one ear open and a dog at your side.
  • Badger1201
    Options
    Accurate assesment RoadDog. Surprised there hasn't been litigation trying to grab some of Apple's money say the iPod was the reason. :laugh:

If I use music when out I only use one earpiece(no earbuds to seal out sound and I have the volume at a level where I can hear comfortably, the outside world.

I do make use of earbuds (insertable) when operating power equipment (lawn/snow equipment) as entertainment/hearing protection. Now if I could only convince the range officer to let me use them so I can listen to some Metallica whilst qualifying.:laugh:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I have my mp3 on me when I run outdoors b/c I NEED music to get through the run. However, I wrap the earbuds around my sportsbra & blast the volume. When I'm able to run, it is at 5am in our quiet village, but I'm scared to death someone isn't going to see me running & I'm not going to hear them coming. ACK!
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I don't use earbuds for the exact reasons you're talking about. I have over the ear ones that I keep loud enough to hear the music and quiet enough to hear any sounds around me. I also don't walk/jog/hike anywhere alone that I'm not completely comfortable walking by myself. Generally, around my neighborhood or at the school track by my house which has a lot of people around all of the time. I'm too paranoid to hike alone. :ohwell:
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I agree - I personally LOVE music and want it with me as much as i can, but feel vulnerable in certain situations with ear buds in...
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am one of those unsuspecting girls...except running down the main drag in the middle of the day with people and cars on either side of me doesn't make me so unsuspecting. I can't run without music! I don't think I would do it on an isolated trail....

Next topic? ;)
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    I only put one earbud in and I am ALWAYS looking around. I also never walk when its getting dark.