Hair Growth...

Options
Ok, so I have a problem which I would totally appriatiate your comments and advice... :blushing: :sad:

Ive always had a good diet, including all fruit, veg, proteins, complex carbs etc. Dispite this, I have one problem, although my skin is great, my hair and nails are brittle:mad: , and my hair does not grow (I cant get it past shoulder length) (My profile pic is extensions).

I keep reading that "your hair ultimately reflects the overall condition of your body. If your body is healthy and well- nourished, your hair will be your shining glory."

Im just wondering why this could be? Im so confused. I just want it to grow so I can get it all up in a hair bobble:ohwell: :yawn:

Replies

• tiffnday
    tiffnday Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't getting enough vitamins...
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Once I started taking vitamins my hair grew one inch in a month, I take Fish Oil 1000mg twice a day and womens one-a-day metabolism
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a vitamin deficiency. I've heard that flax seed is a good thing to add to your nutrition and over time helps with those issues that you are describing. Hope this helps!
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    depending on what kind of extensions you are using, but the tracks you get glued to your scalp can really damage your hair and thin it out. I would recommend taking vitamins and not using extensions! Good luck!
  • ExerciseGeek
    ExerciseGeek Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Once I started taking vitamins my hair grew one inch in a month, I take Fish Oil 1000mg twice a day and womens one-a-day metabolism

Ive been taking multi vitamins for a month, and nothing, so ive bought some vitamin E today and some hair and nail vitamin. Do you think this will do the trick? :wink:
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of hormonal issues that can result in brittle nails and hair. Have you ruled out problems in this area? If you are getting good amounts of protein, another area to look at would be healthy fats, Vitamin E, and Vitamin B12. As these are all nutrients that are important for hair and nail growth. You can have your levels tested to see how well you are able to get these nutrients from your diet. And depending on the result, can make changes to what you eat or take supplements.
  • britia1
    britia1 Posts: 21
    Options
    I have the same exact problem! I take a GNC multi vitamin and fishoil every day, and that has not helped at all. I'm looking forward to see what peopel have to say.
  • ExerciseGeek
    Options
    depending on what kind of extensions you are using, but the tracks you get glued to your scalp can really damage your hair and thin it out. I would recommend taking vitamins and not using extensions! Good luck!

Hey, the exentsions are only clip in ones. I only wear them once a week (whenever I go out) so I dont think its that. Ive been taking multi vitamins too.

I have flax seeds most mornings iwth porridge too.
    Seems like ive tried everything :sad:
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Do you bleach or chemically treat your hair? How about hot curlers/straighteners? Those will damage your hair and will impede growth also.

A friend of mine stopped dying and curling her hair and it FINALLY started growing with no diet or exercise change.
  • SunshineRowe
    Options
    I have alwas had a pretty good diet too, much more nutrition than most people I know and my hair doesn't grow either and it's very brittle... it's genetics, hair growth has nothing to do with your diet. Now on the other hand hair loss does. Bad nutrition can make you lose your hair. But I'm also a cosmetologist so there are some cool products fixing to come out that I do hope will help all of us who can have a nice figure but sad hair.
  • ExerciseGeek
    Options
    Do you bleach or chemically treat your hair? How about hot curlers/straighteners? Those will damage your hair and will impede growth also.

A friend of mine stopped dying and curling her hair and it FINALLY started growing with no diet or exercise change.

I dont bleach it, although I have done in the past.:ohwell: I dye my hair dark blonde from dark brown though when roots come through. I used to use straighteners everyday but cut down on how much I used these and that didnt make a difference. Im going to try to not dye it again, It could be drying it out.

Thanks everyone for your advice :smile:
  • melissapoulin
    Options
    instead of taking normal vitamins take pre-natal vitamins. they have extra folic acid in them, which is awsome for hair and nail growth. or you could just take folic acid. not sure how much though. i have been taking prenatal vitamins since before i was pregnant with my 3 1/2 year old and my hair and nails both grow really fast, and aren't dry or brittle at all. before that, my hair and nails grew really slowly and my nails were always breaking. worth a shot!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    how often r u washing it, mines better if i only wash it twice a week, used 2 wash it every other day, and it took ages to grow and was in much worse condition
  • NatashaAlexandra
    NatashaAlexandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same problem!
    I spoke to a professional hair stylist (She does Kate Bosworth and Gillian Zinser (Ivy from 90210)'s hair so I trust her haha!

She told me that in order for your hair to grow, it has to be trimmed every 2/3 months. Otherwise it goes thinner at the ends of the hair as it falls out un-noticeabley and therefore always looks the same length!

Also, I take Silica - which is the natural mineral already in your hair/skin/nails - so it works really well. The stuff I use is called 'Silica-OK' and I take 2 a day, you can get them from any good chemist but they are quite pricey mine were £7 for 30 (don't know what that is in dollars if you're from the usa).

Another thing - this sounds a bit silly though - when you are washing your hair, especially when conditioning, massage your head for about 2-3 minutes and do it more intense than before - this wakes up the blood in your scalp therefore stimulating growth!

:)
  • ExerciseGeek
    Options
    I aim to wash my hair twice a week too! It never seems to get greecy though which is strange. Im going to carry on trying these suppliments and others mentioned, fingers crossed, wish me luck!! xx
  • kaitlyn12osu
    Options
    I have the same problem but I found when I ate more protein and ate more calories it helped a lot! GOod luck!
  • AllegraWilliams
    Options
    I was always told that

A. Add biotin to your diet. (Um, from my mum who prescribes it for horse feet... but it seems to improve both hair and nails on both equines and humans.)

B. Make sure you are getting enough fats. Healthy fats, without them your hair and nails, and skin tend to become drier and brittler.

Hope you find the solution, but seriously try the biotin it works wonders.
  • samanthalynne21
    samanthalynne21 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do hair, and i recommend some woman to take prenatal vitamins for hair growth. i am taking them right now and im not preggo. they have made a big difference in how I am feeling as well as hair and nail growth!
  • alainaroseg
    alainaroseg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have always had fast growing hair and healthy nails due to genetic predisposition and consuming a healthy amount of protein and vitamins in my diet (whoever said your diet doesn’t affect hair growth, that can’t be true – I don’t have studies to back up my statement, but vitamins and protein are the complete makeup of hair and nails, and if those are lacking from ones diet, then the health of hair/nails will lack as a result). I recently came across an issue with my wait and simultaneously have had your same issue with my hair and nails, hair wouldn’t grow as fast as it normally does, and once strong nails would break for anything. I made myself an appointment for a blood test which determined that I am hypothyroid. I am not taking medication and I’ve seen a drastic improvement.

The thyroid affects so many functions in your body. Common symptoms are mood swings, depression, fatigue, joint pain in hands and feet, body temperature – often cold or hot when others aren’t, hair growth, brittle nails, change in cycle, etc – etc.

I don’t know if taking prenatal vitamins is the best avenue to take in hopes of a solution. Although those vitamins are great in the assistance of hair growth, they are also packed with EXTRA vitamins to supply a baby, and if you’re not pregnant, you might be supplying your body with too many vitamins which isn’t always a positive thing.

Anyways – that’s my two cents. Hope it helps – good luck!
  • alainaroseg
    alainaroseg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ** Forgot to mention -- another common symptom of hypothyroid is weight gain and unable or very difficult to lose! That was the real reason I was investigating every possible reason for my issue..

Anyway- good luck!