Keeping it REAL :)

Options
SK24373
SK24373 Posts: 36 Member
I just wanted to thank some of my fellow MFP'ers who post their challenges as well as their successes and who keep it honest and REAL.

I love it that others also track their beers, snacks and indulgences, maintaining balance.

Just because we are all committed to being healthy and fit, doesn't mean that life doesn't involve making compromises sometimes. I love seeing people record their 9 skittle treats, pudding snacks, beers, pizza and whatever else it takes to get them through!

I am sure that many of you are like me and can be OCD about recording and being accurate. I obsess over every stinking calorie in and burned. BUt...I also know that I live in the real world, and that there will be days when beer, pizza and ice cream come calling :)

It makes me sad to see people beat themselves up and agonize over every pound- although I do it myself. Let's keep supporting each other and reminding ourselves and one another that this is a lifelong journey and commitment. Keep it balanced. You will never be able to live with total deprivation nor should you. Just keep on being honest. Some days will be good, some not so good, but every day that you are conscious of your body and your health, is a good day.

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks either - because the truth is that no one else really cares if you eat a candy bar or skip a workout. We just care that you can work through it and get back on track as soon as possible.

OK that's my soapbox for the day. CHeers MFP Champions :)

Replies

• lynxcoco
    lynxcoco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I keep it REALLY real...I record my shots of Patron!
  • mmiley1111
    mmiley1111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Loved your post. You are so right about life happening. Every now and then one just has to have Ice cream or candy!!! Just post it and try to do better tomorrow
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Love the post! I'm one of those that tracks everything. lynxcoco, I love that you record your shots of Patron! LOL
  • SK24373
    Options
    LOL @LynxCOCO - you are my kinda gal. LOVE IT! an Mmiley - heck yes and you can still look great in a little black dress as you are showing the world.
  • mommy3x
    mommy3x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Love it!!

:happy:
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    LMAO! Yep, I can be a little "OCD" about the calorie counting! Weird thing is I am now at a point where I am working out 6 days a week (except this week - insomnia and allergies have kicked my butt the last 2 days!) for at least an hour a day so I really do NOT need to worry about calories.

Keeping it real can seem obsessive but let's be honest ... beer (alcohol) has a LOT of empty calories. Especially the ones I like. I am a beer snob - I admit it and am proud of it! ;-) Many of my beers are around 250 per 12 ounces because they are higher an ABV - I am what is known in the beer drinking community as a Hop Head ... meaning I like the hoppy beers that some people think are bitter.

I expect to go over in calories on Friday night and/or Saturday but I make up for it the rest of the week!
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Kay, no joke, I take a measured shot glass when I go out and pour my patron from the bar glass into mine so I know how many oz. I have had. And I record it. Plus it has a string around it for your neck! Lol. Yea OCD, and not ashamed of it! :wink:
  • SK24373
    Options
    @Halerjr23- You're a "hop head" - that is FUNNY!!! I know beer and booze have too many empty calories, but everything in moderation :) Glad you are feeling better.
  • MikeK51
    MikeK51 Posts: 317
    Options
    Well said!!! I was also of the OCD type the first 2 months, and would always worry whether the calorie count I got was correct or not. I've since learned to keep honest...but not sweat it to the point of stressing me out. It got very tiring managing it to that degree. Don't get me wrong...I absolutely believe counting calories and being accountable is a great motivator, but like you said...this is a lifestyle. We need to treat ourselves with "bad" food once in a while. In the scheme of things, as long as it isn't every day, we'll be ok!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    LMAO! Yep, I can be a little "OCD" about the calorie counting! Weird thing is I am now at a point where I am working out 6 days a week (except this week - insomnia and allergies have kicked my butt the last 2 days!) for at least an hour a day so I really do NOT need to worry about calories.

Keeping it real can seem obsessive but let's be honest ... beer (alcohol) has a LOT of empty calories. Especially the ones I like. I am a beer snob - I admit it and am proud of it! ;-) Many of my beers are around 250 per 12 ounces because they are higher an ABV - I am what is known in the beer drinking community as a Hop Head ... meaning I like the hoppy beers that some people think are bitter.

I expect to go over in calories on Friday night and/or Saturday but I make up for it the rest of the week!

I too am a beer snob...my beers are not low in calories at all, but ohhhh do they taste so good! :drinker:
  • angie1071
    Options
    Whew..Amen to that! None of us are perfect, every day we just have to keep moving and keep remembering why we are doing this every single day! Being honest with ourselves is the only way to make a complete change in our lives. We are all here for the same reasons, to be happy and most of all healthy and do it the right way!! I'm so glad that we are all in this together!!!
  • C_Bran
    C_Bran Posts: 254
    Options
    Yeah, and unfortunately I keep track of the donuts I sneak that these MF'ers bring to my job!!! By MF'ers I'm not referring to anything to do with this site either.......*kitten*.
  • lynxcoco
    lynxcoco Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Kay, no joke, I take a measured shot glass when I go out and pour my patron from the bar glass into mine so I know how many oz. I have had. And I record it. Plus it has a string around it for your neck! Lol. Yea OCD, and not ashamed of it! :wink:

Dang...I need a string :)
  • MyBeautyIsSkinDeep
    Options
    Thats right !!! Real is the only way to be!! Yes i want to be healthy and eat right, but i will not suffer along the way !!! I will ENJOY my life and Foods is my choice!!! MODERATION IS THE KEY!!!!!:wink:
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yup, I log everything, the good, the bad, the horrible etc... because it will ultimately help me. I like looking back a few weeks in my dairy to a week when I lost a good amount or gained some and I can see what I ate that caused it to happen. It is a learning tool for me. Nothing wrong with logging the bad and the good!
  • kaveril422
    kaveril422 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have to log EVERYTHING, even the Totino's Party pizzas that are horrible for you, but I so love. The only difference is now I actually eat a serving which is half instead of the whole pizza in one sitting. I haven't had anything to drink since I started losing, but I will log that too. Keeping it real ensures that I am not lying to myself cause that's what happens if you don't log.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I agree with this post 100% too. For me, keeping an honest food & exercise journal is about being true to ME, without caring what other people think about whether what I ate (or exercised, or didn't) is good, bad or ugly. In the end, the only thing that counts is my accountability to myself.

If I eat McDonald's for breakfast (which I did today), then I'm the only one affected by the consequences of that choice. Some days, it's a good choice (flexibility & moderation keep me from going completely insane). Other days, it's not such a smart choice, but if I bite it, I write it, so at the end of the day (week, month, whatever), I have a TRUE log of what I've done to compare against the results I see (or don't).