Breakfast is hard!

Options
I have a really hard time eating breakfast and I have been thinking about doing the instant breakfast stuff that you mix with milk. Does anyone know if this can be beneficial or if it is really just a bad idea? I need some input because I do try to eat breakfast but I just don't have an appetite in the morning and I know that I shouldn't be waiting until lunch to eat.

Replies

• MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I would try a protein shake with some fruit added in, like a banana or strawberries or frozen berries, whatever you like. It would provide more nutrients (and most likely, less sugar) for you. :)
  • CurriedGrasshopper
    CurriedGrasshopper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you force yourself to eat breakfast for a while your body will start having an appetite for it.

Take it from me ;) I skipped breakfast for YEARS.. and YEARS.. and YEARS!! lol.

And now I wake up hungry.

Instant breakfast is better then nothing. But a homemade fruit/yogurt/granola parfait or an egg and some fruit is much better.
  • MarkEdwards1
    Options
    Have you tried normal porridge? Can be done in the microwave so nice and quick and will keep you full until lunch.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I can't say much for that stuff, especially without knowing what brand you plan to use. But I can say if you think you can stomach a shake like meal, why not make your own? Just try blending fruit, milk, yogurt, nut butter, whatever tickles your fancy. I like greek yogurt, frozen banana, cocoa powder, and a little PB. Sooo good, and I find even when breakfast doesn't sound so appealing that goes down okay =)
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    You could be eating worse things, but those are generally so processed that I would either suggest the natural oats, and then you can add a splenda, pinch of cinnamon, peanut butter etc.

Or you should try some power bars if you don't have a lot of time. I eat balance bars (peanut butter and chocolate YUM) with a glass of water and they fill me up until I can get a decent breakfast or lunch.
  • Robinone
    Robinone Posts: 6
    Options
    In the morning I am usually rushed but lately I have gotten into the habit of having a quick bowl of Kashi Autum Wheat (like shredded wheat only better) and it really helps me not to over eat later on in the day. And I also feel good that I made time for myself even though it was a quick breakfast it helps to set my day in a positive light.
    Take care and stay active:)

Robin
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Breakfast isn't magical in terms of helping you lose weight. Granted, I'm a fan of it. But I know plenty of people who have reached amazing physiques without eating breakfast. For instance, check out the intermittent fasting website belonging to Marin Berkhan at www.leangains.com.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to eat a big breakfast. I have been eating a half-serving of almonds and 2 california cuties (clementines) and that fills me up until my yogurt at 9:00 AM. Each person is different, but I have learned for myself that 5 small meals a day works best!
  • Gorgena
    Gorgena Posts: 5
    Options
    Breakfast is tough. I usually eat a couple of boiled eggs and some fruit. I think some sort of smoothie would be a great idea though.
  • cayzel_sugi
    cayzel_sugi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people have a hard time to eat breakfast and they skip it. I've always been a big breakfast gal, but I have tuned it down a bit just recently. Now, a medium banana or even oatmeal will satisfy me in the morning and it jumpstarts my day! You should try having fruit or a yogurt in the morning. As long as you know it's good for you, the appetite will come later. =-)
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i would suggest going a fruit smoothie route instead. my fav is 1 cup vanilla almond milk, 1/2 cup vanilla yogourt, 2/3 cup frozen wild blueberries, and 1/2 cup frozen spinach. i also add in 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. the colour...well, not so great, but the taste is so yummy. you can't taste the spinach at all. you can use any frozen fruit you like really. you can also switch out almond milk for soy, or even a pure juice. add a piece of toast on the side to get some good fiber too, and you are set.

i was not a breakfast person at all before this, but you would be surprised at how quickly your body realizes it's ok/good to be hungry first thing in the morning.
  • Gorgena
    Gorgena Posts: 5
    Options
    I think if you're gonna fast any meal, fast dinner. Eat most calories in the morning and during lunch so you can burn it off through out the day. I think breakfast's important though. And no, it doesn't have to be big...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain - I used to skip breakfast all the time too. I used to figure, if I wasn't hungry, I shouldn't eat. Then all of a sudden after lunch I'd be ravenous and would gorge myself with complete junk. Geez, no wonder I got so overweight!
    But trust me, once you get into the habit of eating something and you stay within your normal calorie range for the day for a while, you will develop the habit and may even wake up hungry!

I'm a big fan of trying to eat more whole foods so if you're not going to go with the traditional cereal/oatmeal thing, how about eating a cup of yogurt and some berries and/or banana. And there's nothing saying you can't have a turkey sandwich for breakfast if that suits your tastes. People have breakfast food for dinner all the time, why not have lunch for breakfast? :)

I'm still not really hungry first thing unless I've gone under my calories the day before so I eat my breakfast around 9am most days and my bowl of Kashi oatmeal keeps me plenty full until lunch time.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I think if you're gonna fast any meal, fast dinner. Eat most calories in the morning and during lunch so you can burn it off through out the day. I think breakfast's important though. And no, it doesn't have to be big...

But total energy needs are what they are across a 24 hour period. It's not like metabolism turns off while you sleep. And a deficit is a deficit no matter how you slice it. Based on my research and experience, as long as you're hitting your calorie and nutrient targets, it doesn't matter much when or how frequently they're delivered.... within reason.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with some of the others in here in that you really have to LEARN to eat breakfast. I didn't eat it for years and years and felt sick whenever I did, the thought of breakfast foods made my stomach churn. But I forced myself to eat something (ANYTHING) each morning, a piece of fruit, moved up to a yoghurt, moved up to a fruit smoothie, moved up to now when I have either avocado and tomato or eggs on toast! And feel sick if I don't eat!

So find something, anything, you can stomach a little of and work from there :) Good Luck x
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here... I'm genuinely interested in hearing why some of you feel that she "must" learn to eat breakfast. What benefits will it give her ASSUMING she's not having trouble hitting her calorie and nutrient goals without eating breakfast?
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If I skip breakfast, I completely gorge at lunch time--and usually I'm so hungry, |'ll eat just about anything (including processed crap).

In elementary school, I remember the teachers polling everyone in their classes to see who ate breakfast on a regular basis. The kids that always skipped it turned out to always be more tired than everyone else in the mornings, as well as have a higher BMI

...I know that the whole BMI chart is just that...a chart, but these kids were rotund.

Perhaps it's just the fact that I was raised by parents who wouldn't let me leave the house unless I had food in my belly, but if I go without breakfast, I'm useless in the morning.

I never get to eat before I leave the house though anymore, so my breakfast usually consists of a bagel with pb & chia seeds, or a big bowl of organic oatmeal with fruit that I'll eat at work at my desk when I get the time.

On the weekends, I'll make scrambled egg whites with feta cheese and chives, side of turkey bacon. Just the thought of it is enough to get me out of bed!
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    So funny that you say this because my friend and I were both agreeing that breakfast is the easiest!
    I am totally against artificial flavours and what I do is a natural protein shake using protein powder from the health food store made out of peas, with raspberries and some coconut milk, or yoghurt, or both and whatever supplements.
    Some days I have a poached egg or two on toast with finely chopped flat leaf parsley.
    Other days, just toast with a small amount of toppings.
    I'm trying to eat organic.
    Some days, porridge but you have to be really careful if you add fruit or nuts. about 5g of sultanas OR pecans is do-able.
    coffee is OK, I have mine full fat no sugar. the milk is the only thing that counts. but I try not to have too much as it can contribute to stress which makes you put weight on around your belly.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    If I skip breakfast, I completely gorge at lunch time--and usually I'm so hungry, |'ll eat just about anything (including processed crap).

Not quoting you to speak directly at you... but I'd like to use your statement as an example. In your case eating breakfast makes perfect sense. But that's you. Appetite patterns are individual. For instance, there is a large faction of people who do best (in terms of hunger control, calorie partitioning, etc) fasting the majority of the day. They eat all of their calories in the PM hours (see intermittent fasting). Which is why I said if she's able to hit her calorie and nutrient targets, why strong arm her into eating breakfast?

If she's not hitting those targets, in that she has trouble controlling hunger and intake later in the day when she skips breakfast... than some of these suggestions make sense. I just didn't see her claim to have this problem.

It's not as if metabolism crashes if you don't eat breakfast. Metabolic adaptations happen over MUCH longer time continuums.
  • DavidJPerkins
    DavidJPerkins Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I AM NOT A BREAKFAST person either,,,,,,,,,,,what has worked for me is I take a GNC vitamin shake with a side, either bacon or toast and that has given me the Habit of grabbing something in the AM. With Vitamins (also Healthy) I forced myself to eat something to keep stomach from getting quezzy and now ALWAYS have something. Lately I have added a scoop of protein in the AM. Yeah I waste calories, but it seams to work for me.