"The Wave"

Options
Dauntlessness
Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
Because of the weather I have been unable to go for walks outside until today. Something I have noticed is that people like to wave...a lot. Even 2 young guys honked their horn and wave at me today...so embarrassing..LOL The road I live on is pretty busy but not like a city road, I have like maybe 20 cars pass by every 5-10 minutes.
I have got to the point I try not to look at the vehicles going by me so I don't have to deal with it. Every once in a while I will look and I feel obligated to wave back and when I do wave back I feel like I may be inviting them to stop or something...LOL I am married and have no intention of doing that but that lead me to wonder...does everyone feel this way? Are people as shy as me about this? Do other people look at the vehicles going by or make a point to look away?

So do you:

1. Look away and pretend you don't see them
2. Look and wave
3. Look and don't wave
4. Shake your booty at them, wink and blow a kiss

LOL :)

Replies

• Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I wear headphones and pretend Im totally in my own world...which i usually am
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209
    Options
    i wear headphones, so i cant hear beeps lol:smile:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    If I notice someone waving I just wave back or nod at them.
    It dosnt happen very much where I live.
    But when I lived in a small town everyone that drove by you waved it took alot of getting used to I felt like I was in stepford or something.

I ignore people that honk at me.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I usually start my walks at around 5:00 a.m., so people could be waving or flipping me the bird and I'd never know. :laugh:

What I don't get are the cars that feel inclined to turn their brights on when they're driving towards you. :huh: Does that make me safer or does my blind stubblings give you the giggles. grumble.gif
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Not sure what it could mean in your part of the states but here in the south people wave just being friendly. :-)
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    head down and ignore...
    I'm pretty social, huh?
    Lol
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    LOL, yeah I am in a small town but a lot of the traffic are outsiders. I mean there are some people like the fire chief that wave when he passes by and he always has his 2 bulldogs in the back of his truck that bark at me going down the road. It is hilarious and always makes me laugh!
    But yeah, I am liking the responses to the topic so far, lets keep it going...lol
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    When I'm driving and come upon a walker or jogger, I try to make eye contact and nod a little so they know, that I know, that they are there. Make sense? If I'm the one jogging or walking, I may nod a little or wave (depending on who it is - I live in the boonies, so most people that pass me are locals) so they know, that I know, that they are in the car passing me..... lol! I love my sunglasses though! :happy: It makes it easier to pretend to look at them, but I'm really not......