Why an I failing now?!

Options
I was committed enough to lose 28 pounds!! What happened? These last weeks have been filled with chocolate and ice cream and I feel I have no control anymore! Has anyone else fallen off and then gone on to continue losing?

Replies

• Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    TOM? Everyone has setbacks, get back on the horse and you'll be fine! You can do it!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Its not how often we fall down but how often we pick ourselves up and get back on track that matters. Yes lots of us have fallen off and gotten back on and lost weight.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    Well I know what motivated me so much in the first place was being honest with my food logging. Just commit yourself to logging everything again, even the bad stuff, no pressure in that right? When i get honest with myself again, that's when I get back up.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would say most of us!! Were you depriving yourself of all of those things? Some people can handle total deprivation...but most need a little bit of the good stuff! Make sure to include a little in your diet as a reward now and then but only as a reward...not as a way of life...Don't look at your goals as a weight loss or diet but as a life style change into being a happier and healthier you....one small choice at a time! You can do this!
  • dino_morgan
    dino_morgan Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Honey, I feel ya more than you know! I have been struggling with the exact same thing. Every day I just have to remind myself that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. I want to lose that weight, and I want it to stay gone! The satisfaction I get from eating ice cream or whatever is only temporary, but the satisfaction of feeling better about how I look and how I feel lasts a hell of a lot longer!

Stick with it!
  • mongo2004
    mongo2004 Posts: 11
    Options
    It happens, dont get discouraged. We all have vices, as long as your not completly off the wagon. I use a cheat day every other sat or sun i will still try to eat my cal goal but i love pizza and i will have a slice or 2. save that for a cheat day. most of the time hunger is misinterpeted as boredom or depression or just something to do. You can do it you lost 28 pounds :) keep up the good work
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    good lord yes hahaha, i went all winter without doing any exercise or calorie counting, that was after a 50 lb loss! Now I'm back on track and have lost 6 lbs in two and a half weeks :)
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    You just need another jumpstart to remind you of what you've accomplished and how close you are to your goal! Post a picture of your heaviest weight by your mirror, so you see it every morning/everytime you're in there.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Everyone who has successfully lost weight goes through this. Losing weight is about learning how to fail. It's not just about succeeding.

Don't let the guilt of the last few days catapult you into weeks of backsliding. Don't worry about a couple bad days. In the long, they won't matter much. Just brush yourself off, right now, and start again.
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    We've all been there - try to identify what got you on track in the first place and try to get that determination back.
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up! A positive attitude is just as important as eating healthy and exercising. We all have set backs...hit plateaus, eat something we know we shouldn't. The key to your success is what you DO about it after it has happened!

When you eat that piece of chocolate...or the whole bar....what happens? Do you continue eating poorly the rest of the day because "Oh well, there goes the diet!". OR, do you count the calories, get off the couch and go do enough exercise to burn them off! Don't forget....THAT IS AN OPTION! You can splurge, then do some exercise to burn it off. It's not hard....but it does take effort.

Maybe you need to look at how you have set yourself up to succeed. Do you have healthy food/snack options in your house. How about in your car to ward off those impulse trips through the drive thru? Carry around a few bottles of water in your car so you never have an excuse to grab that soda because you were thirsty and it was the only option.

Do you have a workout/exercise plan? Are you committed to it? It can be as little as 10 minutes a day or as much as 90 minutes! But every minute counts! And it doesn't matter what works for others...you need to find what works for you!

I hope this helps....keep your chin up. Take control of yourself, your body, your eating, and your exercising. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I would say most of us!! Were you depriving yourself of all of those things? Some people can handle total deprivation...but most need a little bit of the good stuff! Make sure to include a little in your diet as a reward now and then but only as a reward...not as a way of life...Don't look at your goals as a weight loss or diet but as a life style change into being a happier and healthier you....one small choice at a time! You can do this!
    I have to respectfully disagree with this, I think "rewarding" yourself with junk food gives junk food more power over your life, and doesn't that make it seem as though eating healthy and exercising is the punishment? I just think that this is "reward" system is sabatoge on the way you view food.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    We've all been there. I think you just lost focus on th eprize. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start fresh. It sounds like maybe you've been depriving yourself of some sweets. You need to think about incorporating them periodically into your food so that you don't feel deprived. The minute you say you can't have something, you start craving it more and eventually you will cave. So maybe if you periodically have it, eventually you will find that you don't need them as often. WHatever you do, don't give up. Start with a clean slate.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    sometimes when I start to lose weight and then get more comfortable with the new skinnier me, I don't feel the pressure of dieting as much and fall off the wagon. Just make sure to get back on so you don't have to start over after working so hard :)
  • Sam_Hain
    Sam_Hain Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wait till the holidays... I gained 6 pounds and am just not recovered from it.

I'm stoked though. I'm starting the summer at my lowest weight in 10 years and the summer months is when I lose the most weight.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I find that it happens to me most once I've let myself get out of routine. If I write it in my schedule to exercise and verbally tell people what my plans are, I'm more likely going to be held accountable for my actions. It's ok to have a treat now and then, but we need to remember those habits that got us here in the first place. Those are always quick to bite me in the butt! Get back on the wagon. You can do it! :):)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Dang, Now I know why ignorant guys always THINK that because something is "wrong" with a woman it is TOM. Just a thought to STOP stereotyping ourselves and maybe others won't.

Anyway, to the Poster's Question: It's like recoil or body rebellion. You will have to fight through it, look at what you have done, what you have not been giving your body or what it may NOW need. What I did is do South Beach Phase One for at LEAST 1 Week/or Atkins Induction Phase to STOP Cravings. Then I began to adjust My Vitamins...I increased My Mega B to 2 per day and My energy jumped out the roof and My Wellbeing is super. Then I recommitted to My Eating Plan (South Beach Phase 2.) No More Cravings and "smoking along" with wt loss, well-being, fitness...

Your Body is in need of something, especially since you have lost weight...stuff is being depleted.
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    last year i lost 28lb and was doing great then i just stopped not sure why but i kinda lost direction , now im back on track , so yes i think you can get back on track and start achieving your goals, dont beat yourself up just get back to logging everything and exercise and take each day as it comes
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It happens..just get right back into it. Have you still been exercising? I guess the biggest thing is to figure out how to get your motivation back. You can do it!!
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Come on Peppers lady, you DO have control, and we're all here to help you. If you let it slide for a while, at the vey least you know what happened and you know what you have to do - even if it seems like an insurmountable obstacle, it isn't. I know - I didn't let myself begin this for over ten years. And we all fall off every so often. Remember how happy you were when you saw the difference in your photos? Go and look at them again... and you'll see you're a beautiful girl who deserves the best treatment you can give yourself.

You're not alone :flowerforyou: