Can you get a toned belly by sucking it in during the day?

Options
Can you get a toned belly by sucking it in during the day?

I have always pretty much let my belly hang loose during my day to day. I know this is a bad habit, but I've never had a big belly, but now that I'm a breastfeeding momma, I'm trying to build back my abdominal muscles.

I love the pilates DVD I have (http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Pilates-Technique-Complete-Intermediate/dp/B000069YWP)
and I've also taken pilates at a ballet studio before, which was the #1 thing which gave me awesome abs.

Now I'm trying to get those awesome abs back (3 months postpartum baby #3) I still have a bit of pudge and I'm doing cardio as much as I can, but basically,

I'm wondering, if anyone makes a conscious effort to suck in their belly button throughout the day?

I imagine this would help with general posture as well as strengthening the abs.

Am I right?

Replies

• cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    I wish...lol...if so I would have had a flat belly all my life. Im always sucking in my belly...lol..Nice thought though!
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I thought I've heard that before too...
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes i make an effort to keep the belly button as far in as I can and not stop breathing :). I think it helps to an extent. Practicing good posture and balance should help keep your core somewhat in shape.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    Actually, sucking in your belly will work those muscles. Years ago when I was big into bodybuilding many bodybuilders recommended that as one of their ab exercises. It is not the best exercise, but it is something that along with planks, side planks and other exercises will help your core to become toned. You still need to lose the fat covering it up though. This will do nothing for losing fat, just strengthen the muscles under the fat.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    Sounds exhausting and like it takes a lot of concentration! I achieved abs by doing 15 minute ab workouts three times a week. I don't think sucking in your stomach all day is gonna do it though.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Not really but you can strengthen them by using Pilates principles. When you are driving, sit up very straight and tall, pull and hold yourself against your seat with your abs, as you pull in exhale to get deeper. If you can manage it this is also a great time to Kegel, it will help hold you in position. Focus on holding your lower abs in place there and imagine getting your belly button to touch the seat back. Hold as long as you can. This is great for your posture as well. I hope I explained this ok. I know how to do it from taking Pilates class's.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Not "sucking in", but I read an article about always trying to keep your abdominal muscles engaged.
  • SwissMaedel
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    When I suck in my bellyB I have better posture, so I guess that is good.

Will keep doing INSANITY to get rid of the layer of fat & then pilates to tone.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I wonder, hmmmm?

That's the main exercise for kegle (sp? Microsoft Word couldn’t help me and I’m NOT googling that at work, lol!) muscles right so perhaps it can have some effect.

Decreasing body fat is what is really necessary, doing a million crunches at night wont do anything but build the muscle underneath so the fat's got ta go!
  • LurayneMarie
    LurayneMarie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I do it everyday, whenever Im in public because Im so self conscious and want to 'appear' as thin as I can when Im around other people!!! Ive joked that I suck it in so much that I technically should have the strongest tummy muscles in the world!!!!:laugh:
    But as far as relying on it to tone you up... it doesn't work :sad: :sad:
  • wildeyezz
    wildeyezz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I wish!

Based on how often I have to suck mine in, it should have disappeared by by now.

:smile:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Nope! Been doing since the 7th grade and still not 100% flat!
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Actually, sucking in your belly will work those muscles. Years ago when I was big into bodybuilding many bodybuilders recommended that as one of their ab exercises. It is not the best exercise, but it is something that along with planks, side planks and other exercises will help your core to become toned. You still need to lose the fat covering it up though. This will do nothing for losing fat, just strengthen the muscles under the fat.

i do this all the time. it doesn't get rid of the fat on top of the muscles, but it can strengthen the muscles and improve posture. i did it all teh time before i got preggers. now trying to keep it up again. my tummy has gotten all kinds of weak and lazy since carrying a baby in there.
  • hotelsierra
    Options

:drinker: i completely agree with this! !~ ! Good Luck!
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Your stomach won't shrink without dieting, but Denise Austin (fitness guru and mother) does say that you can tighten your abs at your desk by scrunching your stomach upward as if you were zipping up a tight-fitting pair of jeans. She says if you do this every day you will see results in a few weeks. I have been looking for the reference on the web where I first read this but can't find it. But I remember it well.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Here's something:

http://www.sharecare.com/question/abs-any-time

If anyone can tell me how turn this into a real hyperlink, I would appreciate it.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Not really but you can strengthen them by using Pilates principles. When you are driving, sit up very straight and tall, pull and hold yourself against your seat with your abs, as you pull in exhale to get deeper. If you can manage it this is also a great time to Kegel, it will help hold you in position. Focus on holding your lower abs in place there and imagine getting your belly button to touch the seat back. Hold as long as you can. This is great for your posture as well. I hope I explained this ok. I know how to do it from taking Pilates class's.

I approve of the promotion for Kegel exercises. Go sos! :bigsmile:
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Phil I just knew you would find this! LMBO!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Nope! Been doing since the 7th grade and still not 100% flat!

You are a woman, it isn't supposed to be 100% flat, it is supposed to have nice feminine curves.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Here's something:

http://www.sharecare.com/question/abs-any-time

If anyone can tell me how turn this into a real hyperlink, I would appreciate it.

This is the best you can do. I believe only internal links (ie ones to other posts on MFP) can be actual hyper-links.