What works to slim arms?

Options
I'm watching my calories, working the abs and walk 45 flights of stairs every evening.. I notice I'm slimming in the legs and waist but my arms are as fat as ever.. What had actually given you results in slimming the arms?

Replies

• rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    I'd love to eliminate the bat wings, too. What works?
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've lost 1.5" of arms this month! I don't know what exactly to attribute it to, I do weights (lots of reps, 5-10lbs weights), zumba and step aerobics as well as some other classes that don't target arms. For the later 2 I have my arms up a good portion of the time. Good luck!
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I honestly use the shake weight and my arms are toned- works wonders for the shoulders too....
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Do cardio and weights exercises for your arms. You can't really spot reduce but working your arms will help.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat unfortunately--

A lot of people on here wish they could ditch their hips or waist but 6 mo in my arms have barely budged (about 2 in total). But it's just the last place that it will come off for me (and I'm kind of thankful its in a kind of 'out of the way' area :smile: )

BUT that doesnt mean strength training and such arent GREAT in the mean time. I do a mix of body weight exercises (push ups, Chair dips, resistance band workouts) and yoga (a LOT of down dawging :wink:) And though the size of my arms is still less than what I would like, I am noticing the muscle tone coming out quite a bit :smile:

Good luck!
  • azb9
    azb9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You actually can NOT spot treat... Unfortunately!

Fat is throughout your entire body including your organs. Also, fat burns from the last place it was formed (newer fat cells are easier burned then older fat cells). For instance, if you gained the weight last on your stomach this may be the first place you see results.

It looks like you are focusing on cardio, which of course is great to get your heart rate up, but actually studies show the better (meaning most efficient) way to burn calories is strength training and circuit training. By increasing the amount of lean body mass (muscle) your body is transformed into a calorie burning machine!! Also, mix it up...keep those muscles wondering what you are going to do next, this will help prevent muscle memory!

So, even though you can't spot treat your arms... keep burning calories and getting that heart rate up, then you will start to see the results ALL over!!
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Like many have already said. spot treating is not possible. Now can you work that muscle and build it up to tone it? Yes!! However, you can have beautiful muscles underneath a layer of fat. ( Not saying you do) So the ultimate factor is to lose weight all over and in the end revealing that lean muscle you have built. Hope this makes some sense. The one move I do love to tone my triceps is skull crushers.
    Oh and one more thing. You want to lift as heavy as you can, with good proper form. A lot of women believe that if they lift light and do high reps that this will help tone them up. To see a signficant change you have to lift enough weight to do that. With high reps you will build up endurance. Good luck to you!!!