Calorie Deficit

Options
According to MFP, my BMR is about 2,030 Cals a day. With a 1200 calorie Net intake. Giving me me a daily deficit of over 800. But the bmr calcular shows my bmr at about 1600. Is 1200 cals a good number for me with little exercise?

Replies

• ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight? I can't see 1200 calories being good for a male to aim for on days without exercise, not unless you are about 5'2 and under and just at around 110-120lbs.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    According to MFP, my BMR is about 2,030 Cals a day. With a 1200 calorie Net intake. Giving me me a daily deficit of over 800. But the bmr calcular shows my bmr at about 1600. Is 1200 cals a good number for me with little exercise?

I'm no expert, but that sounds kind of low to me. I'm on a 1200 intake as well. Seems like it should be higher than that, especially for a male.
  • MissNicholas
    Options
    From what I've read, 1200 cals is too low for most men. I think it'd be better for you to up your calorie intake and use exercise to create the deficit.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't eat below your BMR. From what I've been taught in my certifications and college coursework, you shouldn't eat less then 80% of your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, which is BMR + Activity not counting exercise + Exercise. If you do, then you promote more muscle loss and fat storage.
  • wisem2540
    Options
    What is your height and weight? I can't see 1200 calories being good for a male to aim for on days without exercise, not unless you are about 5'2 and under and just at around 110-120lbs.

I am actually about 5'3 Currently weighing about 170. I need to get down around 140. Does this help?