Am I eating too much protein?

Jackie0127
Jackie0127 Posts: 71 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
I haven't even had dinner yet, and I have already used all of my protein, and with tonight's planned dinner (salmon), it puts me over at around 35 grams over. This doesn't include the post exercise shake I wanted to have which included protein powder.

Am I eating too much protein?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Replies

• sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    i wish i could help you out but im not sure myself if its alright to go over in calcium, proteins, and vitamins
  • royam01
    royam01 Posts: 123
    I always try to go over on that. The estimate they give is very low. Protein helps you repair and build muscle-nothing wrong with that :) and it helps you stay fuller longer.
  • Are you aiming for at least 100g per day?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    If you are using the default setting in MFP for protein, you are not near eating too much. That setting is way too low. You may want to change it to at least 25-30% of your calories from protein as it will help you lose weight.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    If you are a healthy adult - eat away.
    Kiddney function is ok - eat away.
    I eat a ton of it. today is 148. Some days I push 200g....
  • Jackie0127
    MFP has me at a daily goal of 45g a day. Is that too low? I thought that too, that protein helps repair and build muscle, and Im working out everyday. But since I just started, I just started paying more attention not only to my calories, but the protein intake as well. Should I still drink that shake post-workout?
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    My protein is always over since I've changed my eating habits. It's good because as someone has already said, it helps your muscles and you stay full longer. Good luck.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    that is a tricky question to answer. it depends on your activity level and weight. Ie I have my settings with 10%of my calories from protein.. Here is a great article on protein.
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

Edited to say that the reason mine is set to 10% is becuse I'm traing for a 1/2 marathon in two weeks. When it's over I will increase it up to 25%. :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I doubt it, you'd have to eat an awful lot in general to get near to too much protein. I had 153g today, and aim for at least 100g. The amounts MFP give you are set to 15% and many people think that it's too low, it should be seen as more of a minimum rather than the most you can have :)
    You can set it to a higher % if you want, in custom goals I think. As long as you're having a balanced diet of carbs/fat/protein it won't matter.
  • I always go over my protein amount too and was curious about the same thing. I have read that you should have 7 grams of protein/ 20 pounds of body weight. I'm at 140 and therefore should have about 49 grams of protein/day. My fitness pal allows me 52 grams a day, which is very similar. I've read that the negative side affects of too much protein occur on the kidneys, as they cannot always process the amount put in your body. If you are working out regularly, especially some weight training, you are supposed to have more protein to replenish your muscles. I wish that when you imputed your workout, it would not only give you back more calories but protein as well.
    Moral of the story, as long as your not extremely over your protein level consistently, and working out, I think it is fine!
  • luckyme65
    luckyme65 Posts: 16 Member
    Protein is a better choice of food over any carb. My best dieting success has come from high protein and low carb. I would almost switch the protein and carb number if you want faster results. I can lose 3-4/week doing it this way.....the protein makes you feel more full and takes more energy for your body to "burn" it.....a perfect meal would be a veggie and/or salad, with salmon/chicken/low fat beef or steak/shrimp....also be careful with the protein shakes having too many calories, I mix my vanilla powder with crystal light. Have a light protein snack (turkey slice) before bed to continue the burn through the night ! GOOD LUCK! :-)

PS Protein can only hurt your kidneys if you're not drinking enough water....which is key! Lack of hydration is the cause of many ailments in our country..... 1/2 your body weight in oz. is what your should have/day.
  • Jackie0127
    Awesome! Thanks!! That red number scared me!! LOL
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    If you go to goals and lower your carbs it will increase your protein. I had the same problem, everyday I was over.
    Someone suggested I lower the carb to 45% a day and it increased the protein. It helped me stick to the program and
    I love the results. See if this works
  • ericzintx
    ericzintx Posts: 32
    Yeah you can get away with more. If your interested in preserving more lean muscle while you are working out, you can easily get away with 1g of protein for every pound that you weigh daily. I eat 162g daily.
  • Jackie0127
    I just changed my settings like pds suggested, lowering the carbs to 45% and it increased the proten to 40% by itself. Now I have a goal of 120g a day of protein, and not as much carbs (which I wasn't eating too much of anyway). I've been watching sugars on it as well, what's the recomended amount of grams of sugars I can have? ie. the protein shake
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Depends on how often and how hard you are working out. Most days I try to shoot for 90-95 grams of protein.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I just changed my settings like pds suggested, lowering the carbs to 45% and it increased the proten to 40% by itself. Now I have a goal of 120g a day of protein, and not as much carbs (which I wasn't eating too much of anyway). I've been watching sugars on it as well, what's the recomended amount of grams of sugars I can have? ie. the protein shake

Sugars are added to your carb count. Watch the sugars because they raise the carbs. I find if I add what I want before I eat it
    I can make better choices. If I have a cookie I give up a piece of bread.
  • Jackie0127

Sugars are added to your carb count. Watch the sugars because they raise the carbs. I find if I add what I want before I eat it
    I can make better choices. If I have a cookie I give up a piece of bread.
    That's a great Idea! Since I am preparing most of my meals the day before, and I've been taking left overs for lunch. I should do that! I don't think I am eating too many things containing sugars, since I am aiming to a lean high protein diet, but I am new at this, so it's easier to miscalculate something.

Thanks to all of you guys that commented! It's a big help!!
This discussion has been closed.