Post Workout Food

Options
Hey everyone!

So I don't know about you guys but I am always starving after I work out for an extended period of time (about an hour to 1.5 hours) and I never know what is the best to eat after a good workout. Does anyone have any tips?? I want to make sure to keep it healthy but also filling and replenishing. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!

-Meredith

Replies

• BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I heard that cereal is a good post workout food. And the calories are relatively low for those as long as you aren't eating really sugary cereals.
  • internetgal22
    Options
    Smoothie. Banana, yogourt, strawberries, ice, maybe some protein powder. Enjoy!!!!
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Some people like to do a glass of chocolate milk right after, gives you a little sugar and some protein as well. I picked up a box of cocoa almonds last night in 100 calorie packs. It was a nice snack with just a little bit of sweetness.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    quick lean protein and healthy carb. you can do a whey protein shake and carb, OR a Recovery mix/drink with water that has carbs and protein.

I take ON, 2:1:1 Recovery. (optimum nutrition).

but food works too!
  • jrlitt76
    jrlitt76 Posts: 52
    Options
    I usually have yogurt and friut with whey protein powder added, milk, or toast with some peanut butter on it,... those are good to replenish after that kind of workout
  • SunshineRowe
    Options
    I eat real light before my workout...just fruit but after my workout that's where my complex carbs come in. Oatmeal, rice cakes, and then usually a protein like eggs or tuna. I am never hungry. As a matter of fact it's almost 2 right now and I have not even finished all my lunch cause I'm full.
  • melissamauney
    Options
    I make me a smoothie. I use the yoplait frozen fruit and yogurt. and mix in 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder. It yummy and satisfying. 8 oz. is 177 cals and without the protein powder it is 110.
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    Good post! I am going to keep this for reference. Thank you!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    Fast acting carbs, like fruit... and a clean low fat protein like chicken, whey, egg whited or nonfat milk. Both the fast acting protein and the carbs aid in recovery. After a workout is a great time to eat fruit because your body with USE the sugars to help with recovery instead of storing them. :-D I have alos heard chocolate milk... obvously not something everyday, but to know that it is OK after a workout now and then... YUM. ;)
    Avoid fats, post workout usually because they slow down the absorbtion process which you want to be quick after a workout.

I also make green juice for some of my post workouts drinks. The natural carbs in the veggies and fruit are really great. Also, because your stomach is empty after a workout your body takes all the nutrients from what you ate or drank and absorbs them, putting them to use! :-D
  • discojesus
    discojesus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It depends what kind of workout you do! If you are doing strength training, it's important to eat a lot of protein to rebuild your muscles. It's also important to pair the protein with carbs so that you will have an insulin spike, which facilitates protein absorption. If all you're doing is cardio, then I think the important thing is just not to gorge! I mostly do strength training, and I love a smoothie with frozen fruit, nonfat milk and whey powder. Around 200 calories, full of protein and delicious.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    It depends what kind of workout you do! If you are doing strength training, it's important to eat a lot of protein to rebuild your muscles. It's also important to pair the protein with carbs so that you will have an insulin spike, which facilitates protein absorption. If all you're doing is cardio, then I think the important thing is just not to gorge! I mostly do strength training, and I love a smoothie with frozen fruit, nonfat milk and whey powder. Around 200 calories, full of protein and delicious.
    agreed :-D

Although when I am in a hurry and don't feel like making a smoothie when i get home... a little shake shake in a shaker cup and a nectarine are my friends on my way home from the gym! :-D
  • mkalinski333
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! These are all very helpful :) I can't wait to go to dinner tonight after my workout with all of these new meal ideas!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a banana before, and after my workout I always go for something with high protein, like a bowl of Greek yogurt and berries.

I usually work out in the morning though, so I tend to eat breakfast after my routine when I come home (scrambled egg whites with turkey bacon...yum!)

If I need an extra snack though, I don't like to include it in my food diary--my body needs the extra calories on gym days anyway, but that's just me.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    For muscle tone retention, you are supposed to have some protein.
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    Recovery drink works great, but the key is to have it right after your work out.
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and fruit
  • ekbwk
    ekbwk Posts: 13
    Options
    I generally eat a bowl of cereal or whip up a jamba smoothie! Half the package is only 110 calories and most sugar is natural from the yogurt in it.
    I crave chocolate milk, so I try and eat honeynut cheerios, or oatmeal squares.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    Hey everyone!

So I don't know about you guys but I am always starving after I work out for an extended period of time (about an hour to 1.5 hours) and I never know what is the best to eat after a good workout. Does anyone have any tips?? I want to make sure to keep it healthy but also filling and replenishing. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!

-Meredith

I like to eat some protein if I have done a particularly long workout. It helps your body repair itself and recover from what it has just done. I have a protein shake and sometimes I'll add in a frozen banana with it. I love the Kashi cereals. Most of them are pretty high in protein. My favorite at the moment is the Kashi Go Lean Fiber Twigs/Soy Protein cereal. It's awesome!
  • motoxmom1
    motoxmom1 Posts: 85
    Options
    Lowfat chocolate milk is the perfect balance of carbs and protein for post workout muscle recovery and really helps to satisfy me!