same workout, different burn

Options
im 8 weeks into turbofire. im noticing that the amount of calories burned per work out is decreasing for some of the tapes, but i feel like im working out with the same intensity. is this normal. is it good or bad? and advice?

also, if you dont eat back your exercise calories, is it harder to lose weight?

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Your heart is getting stronger so your heart rate isn't getting as elevated. Calories burned is dependent on elevated heart rate. It means you're getting healthier! yay!

I have been running into the same issue. Just think of the positive side instead of the negative. You have proof that your body is getting better at exercising!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    As you get fitter you have to work harder to burn the same calories!
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight you caloric burn will usually be lower. I change my weight on my HRM every time I chart my weight loss and I have noticed that the caloric burn is lower as my weight gets lower.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    To your last question... I think that these forums have like 1 million posts about this, so its really hard, but you have to do some research and make up your own mind - and than maybe change your opinion if you were not right in the start:)
  • jmecale72
    jmecale72 Posts: 214
    Options
    I notice this is happening to me now. It's kinda frustrating, but it's helping me to work harder.
  • nicole00lynn
    Options
    makes sense. sucks a little though :) thanks!
  • Soooze
    Soooze Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and it's depressing. My intensity is the same but my calorie burn decreased quite a bit. I always burn around 200-300 cals for an 1hr workout where it used to be more like 500cals. I find it depressing because I workout the same and I feel like I don't get as much benefit. I even asked a friend of mine to run using my HRM to see if it registers the right amount of cals burned! I don't know if it's my HRM or me...

On the 'eating workout calories'... I tested both eating them and not... and eating them has been more beneficial for me. If I didn't eat them, my total calorie intake was less than 1200 (recommended to at least eat 1200).

Hang in there. I figure I can't give up on my workouts.. I still feel much better and firmer working out!
  • bdgstone1
    bdgstone1 Posts: 18
    Options
    What Alecta337 said...also its important to remember to eat WELL on top of a good work out...

I went for the easy low glycemic list and it satisfied my hunger and taste buds...

Think of it this way...there is LESS of you to move around so your body has to work less to get around and work out etc...so you burning less for the same amont of energy...

Fix: Increase your work out...not even a lot...just a little to get back that extra 200-300 kcals you lost since you last weigh in...you'd be surprised how easily you can make them up...

I try and keep my burns up at or over 1000 kcals a day...I started doing 6 miles a day and now I have added 60-90 minutes of boxing (the heavy bag) as well as strength training (essential they say) and I am seeing AMAZING results...

e.g. on my heavy work out days I do at least 70 minutes on the bag (1040 kcals), plus 30 minutes of weight training (light weight, 4 sets 30 reps per set) and 60 minute on the treadmill.

My light days I box for 60 and do 3 sets of 30 reps at a light weight (50 lbs for me now - but it 20lbs a year ago - so be o to start light weight - you want reps and sets to build strength and muscle) its a quick 90 minutes and it gets the day started great.

...anyway..that's what I do...works for me..

G

4332622.png
  • nicole00lynn
    Options
    SOOZE - i was thinking the same thing! i really considered taking my HRM back and being like "are you sure this things working right?" but then i looked at how many calories my mom burned per workout (shes really fit) and its way less than mine, so I figure its probably accurate, I guess ill just have to start doing more. good luck to you!
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    as for the second question, I think it can be. I stalled with my weighloss when I first started TurboFire. After I began eating more for about 2 weeks, I started to see the scale move again. If you look in your Fuel the Fire book, the formulas they use to calculate calorie intake indicate that you should eat your calories burned. I had to learn it the hard way. If you are seeing a plateau in results, try eating a little more for a week or so and give it some time.

Here is what I did. Before I started Turbo Fire, I had my MFP settings to lose 2 pounds a week. So after getting frustrated with my plateau and realizing that I needed more food, I changed my settings to lose 1 pound a week. Now I am no longer in the negative for net calories. I sometimes have to eat a little more to get out of the negative. It was hard as first, but seeing the scale move down was such a relief. Hope this helps.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    makes sense. sucks a little though :) thanks!

It sucks a LOT! :(