I need help... how do you do it???

Options
UUuugghhh... I had a three day weekend and did horrible. My Grandmother turned 88 on Saturday (Yeah Grandma!!!) so we had a party for her. We ate fried Chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, angelfood strawberry short cake, apple slices with carmel, etc. Sunday went to brunch with friends I had not seen awhile and had the 2 eggs, 2 sausage, hashbrowns and french toast breakfast. Yesterday hung out with mom and she took me out to lunch where I had chicken fried steak because it was on special and cheap. That came with mashed potatoes and gravy and fried corn on the cob. I am so use to eating like this and need to stop this very bad habit. How do you all do it??? Help please! Ohhh... and the worse part... I did not work out at all during those three days. :sad:

Replies

• idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Start over with today and put the long weekend behind you. don't beat yourself up for it, just pick yourself up and begin anew. One day at a time, one step at a time :)
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Take a stand and be stubborn! You are the only one who can make your decisions and the changes you need to make for your health. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! I believe in you, now you get to too!!!!!!

Log everything and don't get defeated!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Log everything you put in your mouth when it happens.. if you know you have to claim it, you will begin to see which foods are worth it and which ones just aren't. Having to confess my calories keeps me straight!
  • simplepuremaddness
    simplepuremaddness Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The best way i have found is to get a buddy who helps who when u feel the urge to munch through unhealthy foods :D U just need to retain your body to notice when its full.
    :D tomorow is another day :D a journey of 1000 miles began with a single step after all :D no one said weightloss would be easy
  • gidjet11
    gidjet11 Posts: 86
    Options
    Reading this just made me hungry! lol

Seriously though, just start over and go from today. Maybe the next time you go out try incorporating something green into your meals. Veggies, salads...they are all good food too and its setting a good example for the people around you! Best of luck! :bigsmile:
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I agree with the others. Just start again today. What's done is done and there's no point worrying about it now.
  • Try eating only half of your plate. Or say to yourself if I have this fried chicken I'll have some salad as well. Like idahogirl said don't beat yourself up over it. I had a bad weekend as well, but I found out that I got more exercise in than I thought, and I ate lots of fried and butter filled foods as well. But with my cheesy baked chicken I made sure to eat a salad no dressing.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Just remember that you don't have to eat the bad things just because everyone around you is. Even if that's all that is there, just eat until you're satisfied and then take your attention off of the food!
  • CollegeGirl19
    Options
    There's a cereal commerical out there that says "It's always morning somewhere."
    To me, mornings signify a brand new start and letting go of past days, so if it's always morning somewhere, you never have an excuse to not start over RIGHT NOW.
    Put your weekend behind you and start fresh right now. :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what happened this weekend, just start again. Make a commitment to healthy eating and next time choose healthier options.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    workout now!!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady... I started really tracking in November, and it wasn't until after Super Bowl Sunday that I really got a hold of my weekends. You have to find what works for you. For me, that meant changing my loss from 1.5lb/week to 1lb/week and allowing myself to eat my maintenance calories on the weekends (Saturday and Sunday). Now, I'm trying to get to the point where I only have one bad day on the weekends, and eventually none. You have to play around with this and find what works for you. You have to be patient and know that these kind of thigns will happen. I travel a lot for work, and because of what I do there's always chocolates, wine, cookies, brownies, etc. in my hotel room. If I want one, I have it, because I know that if I don't, I'll end up having 4 later instead of one now.

Your best bet... get to know yourself and be aware of what triggers you. I know that being around my parents triggers me (they go out a lot, eat bad, etc.) so I try to plan our visits around coffee breaks or at a lounge where I can get a single glass of wine instead of sharing the fried chicken they'd order at home. You'll figure it out eventually =)
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    This is how I do it, and I'm definitely no expert.

For the birthday party, I would eat beforehand some stuff that I knew was good for me at home or bring something that I liked that I would eat. And spend the time talking to everyone as far away from the food as possible while constantly drinking water.

Then for the breakfast out, I have started choosing healthier options, such as the wheat pancakes, turkey bacon, turkey sausage, etc. at restaurants. Still not the healthiest of choices, but it's stuff that I like and that is better for me.

For the dinner out, I would pick something that is again on the healthier side that you still like to eat. I also try and drink water before going and while eating to help fill me up more. If there's nothing that you like besides the bad stuff, just eat half and get the other half to go home with you (I did this at Olive Garden on my birthday, I really like the chicken fettucini alfredo, so I just ate half and brought the other half home).

It is definitely something that comes with time and you have to get used to. I am not a healthy eater by any means (I don't eat veggies and like hardly any fruit), but I'm trying to make healthier choices in the things that I do eat. YOU CAN DO THIS (if I can, then anyone can!) Don't beat yourself up about it because there's nothing that can be done now. Just keep logging everything plugging along.

:)
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If it was easy we'd all be thin. This takes committment - you have to WANT to do it, which means cut out the rubbish and do some cardio, or you will never attain your desired goal...

Good luck!

David
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Log everything you put in your mouth when it happens.. if you know you have to claim it, you will begin to see which foods are worth it and which ones just aren't. Having to confess my calories keeps me straight!

I agree with this so much. "Which foods are worth it" cuz some of them ARE WORTH IT. Everyday you are starting anew so make decisions that will make you feel good later and give yourself a cheat day once in a while, but avoid the three day in a row thing. You ARE in control of what you eat, regardless of it being on special. Move on, move down (scales) and just MOVE. It'll be okay.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    When fried chicken is present, I go with only a drumstick, forgo the potatoes and try to find a veggie. Small portions of everything when there is a potluck type thing. I fill up on a salad and eat an apple 1st when the menu is out of my control. Go for grilled, broiled and foods without sauces and cheese. Log everything, the good, bad and ugly (add a column so you can track sodium if you don't already). Logging allows you to internalize how behavior affects your efforts.

Beyond that, it is done and over with. Move forward and use it as a learning experience.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    you have to make good choices....when you look at a menu, note all the items on it that are ok to eat for your diet and choose from them. learn how to say no to yoursef.
  • wwaaffllee
    Options
    preplan your meals so that you know exactly what you are going to eat, and how many calories you are consuming
    its really helpful :)
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You can eat all of those things, but you have to watch your portions. Whenever I go to events that have food like that, I take a plate and fill 2/3 of it with salad - no dressing - and/or steamed/cooked vegies - no butter. Yes, 2/3! (Actually, I often just eat a plate of salad first - no dressing - and then on the second plate fill it up 2/3. ) On the 1/3 that remains I put tiny portions of the fattening stuff - fried chicken, etc. Then I eat 2 bites of salad, 1 bit of chicken, 2 bites of veggies, 1 bite of mashed potatoes, etc. Before you know it, I'm full and satisfied. Then, of course, log it in. As for dessert. 1 bite. Yes, that's right 1 bite. (To tell you the truth, I don't even do that anymore since I have completely cut out sugar.) Good luck!
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    [/quote

exactly!]