Fried okra

Options
icandoit
icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
Last summer, our family heading our for a cross country vacation. We noticed once we got out of New Mexico, it was fried food from there on out. It was fun for the kids to try different things,
We were not able to try rattlesnake because it was not season. My son loved the fried okra. He had it several different times. He had been asking for it, so I made it.
I did not want to deep fry it in veg oil.
I got the okra frozen-
thawed and dipped it in egg and rolled it in seasoned bread crumbs. In a pan I added about 2 tbls olive oil and let it get good and hot.
Dropped in the okra and browned fir just a few seconds. Then placed on a cooking cooling rack, placed in oven at 350 for about 10 minutes, sprinkled with reduced fat parmesan cheese, and served with nf ranch dressing. I must say, it was really good.

Replies

• icandoit
    Options
    Last summer, our family heading our for a cross country vacation. We noticed once we got out of New Mexico, it was fried food from there on out. It was fun for the kids to try different things,
    We were not able to try rattlesnake because it was not season. My son loved the fried okra. He had it several different times. He had been asking for it, so I made it.
    I did not want to deep fry it in veg oil.
    I got the okra frozen-
    thawed and dipped it in egg and rolled it in seasoned bread crumbs. In a pan I added about 2 tbls olive oil and let it get good and hot.
    Dropped in the okra and browned fir just a few seconds. Then placed on a cooking cooling rack, placed in oven at 350 for about 10 minutes, sprinkled with reduced fat parmesan cheese, and served with nf ranch dressing. I must say, it was really good.
  • Najah5150
    Najah5150 Posts: 170
    Options
    Yeah....fried okra is the bomb! My mom is from Loiusiana...so I def know all about the fried food. I grew up on it. And of course when my mom cooks for me now...I eat it from time to time. I swear...she makes fried cauliflower...it's so good. She made it for dinner on 12/30/07. That was the last time I had fried food. Personally, I don't really eat fried food at home. Mostly everything I make is baked. My kids and my bf love fried chicken (cause I make it the way my mama does) and I barely make that. They will really have to talk me into making it...cause I won't want to.
  • zmonster
    zmonster Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Girl I live in North Carolina and they fry everything here! Okra, mushrooms cauliflour, twinkies, reeses cups, ice cream...you name it! Raised in Florida where we ate lots of broiled fish and veggies, definately a culture shock. After 14 years here I have gotten use to the fact that tea is actually sweet tea and your imagination is your limitation for fried food. I must admit that I do not eat anything fried as a rule but fried okra is one of the foods that make me rethink that decision. Love it. :love:
  • icandoit
    Options
    Girl I live in North Carolina and they fry everything here! Okra, mushrooms cauliflour, twinkies, reeses cups, ice cream...you name it! Raised in Florida where we ate lots of broiled fish and veggies, definately a culture shock. After 14 years here I have gotten use to the fact that tea is actually sweet tea and your imagination is your limitation for fried food. I must admit that I do not eat anything fried as a rule but fried okra is one of the foods that make me rethink that decision. Love it. :love:

Fried ice cream in cornflakes if to die for. We had it in MO. Fried pickles are sooooooo good too. We had those in TX. Oh man, it does taste better fried. :cry: :sad: :sad: :cry:
    At our fair, they served fried Pepsi-I have no clue how they do it.
    Sweet tea-I worked at a truck stop and we always knew what part of the country people were from when they ordered sweet tea. When the fun truckers would come in and order sweet tea, I would bring their tea to the table and stick my finger in it and tell them it doesn't get any sweeter than that. They all got a kick out of it.
    Well, back to reality-bake not fried:smile:
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You can also buy okra that is already breaded. You just pop it in a 400 degree oven and theres no need to fry. They come out crispy and delicious.
  • icandoit
    Options
    You can also buy okra that is already breaded. You just pop it in a 400 degree oven and theres no need to fry. They come out crispy and delicious.

Do you happen to know the nutritional facts???
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    You can also spray stuff with cooking spray. Something I learned at a semi-famous spa here in town.