I need to be slapped and then beaten!

Options
I am just so :grumble: about the #@&*#^@& scale. I started weight training yesterday and I know that the scale will slow down because of the weights and such, but the beotch isn't moving! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: I mean last week I got down to 172 and Monday I was back up to 175. WWWWWWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!?

It is the most discouraging feeling in the world. :frown:

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I am just so :grumble: about the #@&*#^@& scale. I started weight training yesterday and I know that the scale will slow down because of the weights and such, but the beotch isn't moving! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: I mean last week I got down to 172 and Monday I was back up to 175. WWWWWWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!?

It is the most discouraging feeling in the world. :frown:
  • christelpistol
    christelpistol Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    you cant beat yourself up over it. just think about all the positive things you are doing FOR yourself right now. heck, the fact that you're even working ON your body is the first step.

i mean cammaaaaaaaannnnn.... you've ALREADY lost 37 pounds. that's pretty impressive.

just keep up the good work!
  • lina1131
    Options
    I've lost 33 then 35 then 34 then 33 then 37 and then 33. The scale is the biggest beotch I know. :laugh:
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    If you just started weight training then there are a zillion (yes, a zillion) reasons that you could have gained. I'm going to throw fluid retention and muscle gain out there as possible reasons.

It will come back off. Even if it doesnt and you are gaining muscle, so what! You will look better, feel better, and the scale will just have to get over itself. You are doing great, keep it up!
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I know it's discouraging, but you are doing a good thing!! You are gaining muscle! Have you seen any difference in how your clothes are fitting? I know we tend to get hung up on the scale thing and it's easy to be a "scale watcher". Remember, it's how we look that's more important and a better indicator of our progress. My husband recently went away for a few weeks. With my increased free time I stepped up the weights and ended up gaining a pound and a half. I was PISSED even though I know it was muscle. Not kidding, one of the first things my husband said to me when he got home was "did you lose more weight?" THAT was a good feeling! So try to only weight yourself once per week, take your period into consideration as a lot of women gain a few pounds the week before, and take it easy on yourself!

We are here for ya! :smile:
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I hear you.... I just started doing some weights at the gym this past week and now my scale says I am up 2 lbs but I can even feel the fluid retention. I took off my rings this morning because of my fingers. Its ok... It will get better. You know how sometimes they say that things have to get worse first before they get better. That is how I am seeing it right now. Soon I will start losing again.

Connie
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    ahh habibti! It's ok, don't freak out...yet!

Like the others pointed out, look how far you have come! and there are so many various reasons why the scale is bouncing around... How about instead of weighing you take measurements instead...

that way even if you are not happy with the scale numbers you can have the tape measure numbers to rely on. If you are converting fat into muscle (and we all know muscles weighs more than fat) and the scale is not moving..you could be toning up quite nicely and it will show when you take measurements.

Maybe you need to go to Al-Amirs for some bellydancing cardio :laugh:

I dance around at work singing this in my head...my co workers think I am crazy

Allah 3aleek ya sidi
    Albak dab fi eedy
    W'ana illy biek dari (ana ana)
    Wa bi 3omrana shari (ana ana)

HAHAHA
  • eHarris
    eHarris Posts: 160
    Options
    don't worry about it hun, you're doing a fantastic thing for your body. I usually start gaining weight the minute I lift a weight, heavy grocery bag, or backpack. lol Your building muscle mass, strengthing your body, fortifying your future! Sorry...I get excited about weights lol.

Just remember if you feel your bulking up too fast you can lower the weight and do more reps. You get the same effect ...just no bulk. Thats what I have to do or I come out looking like the Hulk. :wink:
  • lina1131
    Options

Like the others pointed out, look how far you have come! and there are so many various reasons why the scale is bouncing around... How about instead of weighing you take measurements instead...

that way even if you are not happy with the scale numbers you can have the tape measure numbers to rely on. If you are converting fat into muscle (and we all know muscles weighs more than fat) and the scale is not moving..you could be toning up quite nicely and it will show when you take measurements.

Allah 3aleek ya sidi
    Albak dab fi eedy

HAHAHA

The last time I went there (which was years and years ago) it was total trash. I wonder if it has changed?! My husband actually is a professional tabal (playing the darbekeh) and has played at Al-Amir many many times! if I were to run around in public belly dancing, i'm bound to blinde someone! :laugh: :laugh:
  • lina1131
    Options
    Thanks for all the support guys! I know the scale isn't something to rely on, but man, it's nice to see the ticker number go up and it's been stuck at 37 for months! :grumble:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I thought this was a kinky gutter gang thread :)
    Moving on!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you're truly in a caloric deficit, you aren't going to gain muscle, unfortunately. It's not physiologically possible. Here's a previous post of mine that explains why:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/26340-muscle-gain-anybody-have-any-facts

However, you can attribute it to water gain associated with increased glycogen storage that follows resistance training, as well as food waste. We aren't 100% regular every week. If the scale keeps going up, you may have to re-evaluate your activity level, caloric needs, and whether you're taking little bites of things that you may not be recording. But don't stop the resistance training--it's not going to cause fat gain.
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Allah 3aleek ya sidi
    Albak dab fi eedy

HAHAHA

The last time I went there (which was years and years ago) it was total trash. I wonder if it has changed?! My husband actually is a professional tabal (playing the darbekeh) and has played at Al-Amir many many times! if I were to run around in public belly dancing, i'm bound to blinde someone! :laugh: :laugh:

CRAZY GIRL! I went back in June when I came home for a visit. I miss that place... so many memories there! I used to go there when I was 16 hahaha sad part it is pretty much the same ppl always there the same music. they opened a 2ndlocation that is supposed to be pretty good. but I have not been.

if ur not down for belly dancing try hip hop abs... i like it!
  • mamajones
    Options
    Well, the scale can be your worth enemy, lol. :laugh:

But, I would rather see a 1-3 pound change, than, say...10 pounds. Keep going you are doing so good! 37 pounds is amazing!!:flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Moving on!

lol:laugh:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Moving on!

:laugh:

:blushing:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    But don't stress the weight. 1 to 3 pounds could just be water weight and you could weigh less tomorrow.