Subway

Options
Do you realize that the flatbread and the wrap at Subway both have more calories and more carbs than the 6" whole wheat bun? Go figure! So much for thinking it's the smarter choice!
Just a little tidbit for the day. Splurge for the bun!

Replies

• SueSee
    SueSee Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm always at loss when I go there: I never know what to order, even before I began this change. Now I just get the turkey on wheat with veggies, or turkey and ham on wheat and veggies. Still a treat!
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    In a "eat this and not that" book it said that "enter high percent here" (sorry, forgot the actual number) would eat MORE calories at Subway then they would at McDonalds. It said it was because people felt Subway as a "safe" zone and didn't think about it like they would at an "unhealthy" place.
  • Restlessme
    Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Really? That's a bit disappointing to learn, but I actually like the flavor of the flatbread by now.
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    Subway is great, but it also has loads of sodium in every sandwich. But i guess its still a better choice than burger king or mcdonalds
  • miatavixxen
    miatavixxen Posts: 373
    Options
    load the veggies, ham and turkey and no mayo... i stick with mustard. :D still makes a yummy sandwich.
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I get the 6" Turkey on wheat, no cheese or mayo, just veggies & mustard & vinegar. Yum, yum, yum!!!!
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that tidbit.
    Yet another reason I love this site. I like all the great information that other members contribute to this site.

Like so many others I like going there and for some reason thought the flat bread was a better choice.

Thanks again.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOVE Subway! I discovered the same thing a while back and just stick to the whole wheat bread now. I usually get the Turkey Breast, Roast Beef, or Sweet onion Chicken Teriyaki with loooots of veggies and no cheese. Typically I don't even add any sauce to it unless I have already hit the gym in the morning...all three are under 400 calories if no cheese and no sauce are used. I like that I'm getting to the point now where a 6 inch is almost too much. I am completely satisfied most of the time with just a mini sub. Happy Subwaying! :-)

I should note that I also only get a bottle of water and no side. Which keeps the whole meal under 400 calories.
  • anitanz
    anitanz Posts: 72
    Options
    I love Subway! We eat it for lunch at least twice a week. I get the wheat bun because it has less calories than the wrap and it isn't so messy to eat. I think it's fine as long as you use the nutritional menu to help you make your choices, and watch the calories in the sauces (the ranch dressing has 97 cals). It goes without saying that you should aviod the cookies.
    The 'guilt free low fat smoothies' that they do here in NZ have almost as many calories as a sub!
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    In a "eat this and not that" book it said that "enter high percent here" (sorry, forgot the actual number) would eat MORE calories at Subway then they would at McDonalds. It said it was because people felt Subway as a "safe" zone and didn't think about it like they would at an "unhealthy" place.

same with anything that says diet... subway doesn't claim to be diet, but you have the ability as an adult to make better choices there calorie wise anyway...if you look at all around nutrition they are still crazy high on sodium.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I love the turkey on wheat. I can forgo the mayonnaise but I gotta have cheese. My brother used to work at Subway and would bring bags of the cookie dough home. We'd eat it frozen. How awful is that?
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yeah I noticed the flat bread was higher than the wheat. I looked it up before I was going to try it one day, even before MFP. I like their 6" club with only veggies, vinegar, and mustard. Still high in sodium, but it is not a daily or even a weekly meal either.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    LOVE Subway....I always get the 6 inch Turkey on wheat with no cheese and sweet onion sauce YUMMY!

Not sure why they did the whole flat bread thing...

And Subway it A LOT healthier than McDonalds. Anywhere you go you should look at the nutitional info beforehand...Subway has a ot of options.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Anywhere you go you should look at the nutitional info beforehand...Subway has a ot of options.

Sometimes I look at the nutritional info while I'm there. I :heart: my Droid. Who would have thought a phone would help me lose weight?
  • ekbontje
    ekbontje Posts: 36
    Options
    I LOOOOVE Subway! I discovered the same thing a while back and just stick to the whole wheat bread now. I usually get the Turkey Breast, Roast Beef, or Sweet onion Chicken Teriyaki with loooots of veggies and no cheese. Typically I don't even add any sauce to it unless I have already hit the gym in the morning...all three are under 400 calories if no cheese and no sauce are used. I like that I'm getting to the point now where a 6 inch is almost too much. I am completely satisfied most of the time with just a mini sub. Happy Subwaying! :-)

I should note that I also only get a bottle of water and no side. Which keeps the whole meal under 400 calories.

This is exactly what I did. Actually, I added the swiss cheese, but it still kept me at 330 calories for turkey on wheat with tons of veggies! And with 22g of protein, I am perfectly happy with that count for a healthy dinner on the go!
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    My favorite sandwich is the roasted chicken breast on wheat, use reg. mustard and load up on veggies and it's a feast!
  • travelprincess
    travelprincess Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love the veggie with honey mustard, wheat bread. :)
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    yummy now im craving subway i usually get the turkey and swiss on whole wheat with lettuce onions pickles jalepenos and mustard and vinegar