Constipation ... solved at at last!

Options
A sensitive subject I know but I thought I would share anyways, Im sure Im not the only one.

Since making a change in my eating habits I have been afflicted. Before when I used to eat rubbish, I was as regular as clockwork, you could set your watch by me, I was that regular :0)

I eat plenty of fibre, veggies, fruits etc so I thought I was not going to have an issue. I drink masses of water a day too. All to no avail. Never mind the pain and bloatedness the amount of time wasted on the throne was getting ridiculous :0)

I first tried a supplement, MgO7 ... it worked ... too well. Im not popping pills for the rest of my life if I can help it. The threat of blood pressure medication was one of the triggers that got me to change my life so Im not swapping those for some thing else just to 'live'.
Then on to Activia-not ... my wife swears by it ... I just swore at it. I need to apply for my refund, it did not work and its so danged expensive calorie wise and sweet. Next !

Yakult ... the little bottle of probiotic, a bit better but boy what a calorie bomb (50 cals for a 2.7 oz bottle) and not much better than taking a pill every day.

Wandering through the supermarket last week and it struck me ... how about a real 'live' natural yoghurt? Probiotics and hopefully not too expensive on the calorie front.
I can remember my Gran's natural yoghurt straight from the cow as a kid. Granma's natural laxative :0)

I found 'Mountain High 1% Natural Yoghurt'. Its 140 cals a cup but I have found all I need is a 1/4 cup and Im back baby ... huzzah! Its now a regular part of my breakfast. Natural yoghurt is a bit of an acquired taste I know but, you can sweeten it with some honey or similar if needed.
They are a company based out of Denver so I dont know how widespread their products are. Dannon (who make Activia) also make a natural yoghurt, I have not tried it but its probably miles better than the much hyped Activia.

The key is to look for bacteria listed in the ingredients ... their names look scary but they are really your friends, get them inside you and let them do their work :0)

Now where are the refund forms for Activia-not ...

Replies

• ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    congrats!!!such a (pardon the choice of words).. relief!! *grins*

for me the answer was.. more water (i found that at 10 glasses of water a day everything works smoothly *L*)

Funny how well our bodies tell us what it needs sometimes huh? *S*
  • MandyC82
    MandyC82 Posts: 73
    Options
    Glad you worked everything out lol :happy:
    I took a probiotic the other day for a couple days (for no reason in particular they were just around) They were the Culturelle brand and I was totally backed up for the two days I took it. I never have had a problem in that department (knock on wood) and I couldn't believe how much it backed me up! Weird.
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be funny but...eating a Clif Bar with a cup of coffee is like laxative for me. I've never been so regular in my entire life.
  • karyolpk
    karyolpk Posts: 1
    Options
    Fiber one chocolate bars are deadly to my system. Had to quit eating them at work! ;-) I'll give the natural yogurt a try- thanks!
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    Thanks for the info... glad you solved your problem!
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    If you're looking for a good tasty one try the Chobani Greek Yogurt!! They also come in flavored (peach, raspberry, strawberry, honey, etc) all for about 140 cal for 6 oz. And they are TASTY!!! 5 probiotics instead of the typical 2 in others. Not too sweet, a little tangy! Also has ZERO FAT! So it's really a winner all around. :) All natural, nothing artificial or unidentifiable. :)