Need tips to get that last 10 lbs off!

Options
Hey everyone!! I am 5'3, 124 lbs, in which no I am not overweight. I have been trying a long time now to get these 10 lbs off, back to where I used to be with a flat tummy!! It seems like nothing I am doing is working, so I am going to increase my calories and see how that works. Any other tips out there?? I am so tired of the scale not moving!

Replies

• carolsohn
    carolsohn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • amara2354
    Options
    * change up ur workout a lil bit that always does it
  • sstonewall
    Options
    If you go to the gym make sure you are in that "Fat burn" range when doing aerobics, when you start to get up to the levels that are considered "cardio" you actually start burning less.
  • brookesready
    brookesready Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am very curious to see the comments. I too am 5'3, bu t129 lbs. I can never seem to lose more than a few pounds. Sometimes I feel doomed lol. I was stuck at 130 for weeks. Then after logging all my calories etc. last week I lost 1.2 lbs. The frustrating thing is that before logging I was basically eating the same things and same amount. So I'm not really sure what changed. How long have you been plateaued?
  • padigirl
    padigirl Posts: 32
    Options
    Eat more protein, drink more water, eat celery, melons, cukes and amp up your exercise! I read that is how to break through a plateau! Good Luck!
  • chelsealjames
    chelsealjames Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you go to the gym make sure you are in that "Fat burn" range when doing aerobics, when you start to get up to the levels that are considered "cardio" you actually start burning less.

how do i know when i'm in "fat burn" range?
  • countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options

This is actually not true. I was having trouble putting it into my own words, so I've copied and pasted this from one of the many websites I have read about it on.

"Target Heart Rate For Fat Burning

There is a lot of confusion about the "fat burning zone" and the "cardio zone" that the charts on the machines refer to. The idea that you burn more fat at a lower heart rate is a half-truth that doesn't tend to be very helpful.

When you do a cardio workout, you're using your fat stores and your food energy for calories. At a lower heart rate, you burn a higher percentage of those calories from fat. However, at a higher heart rate, you burn more total fat calories, as well as plenty of those food calories that just would have been stored as fat, anyway. Basically, it makes sense to stop worrying about what "kind" of calories you're burning, and to just burn as many as possible."

Copied from, http://www.myfitnesstrainer.com/free_fitness_library/p150/target_heart_rate_for.php

And a little more about it...

The body does burn a higher percentage of calories from fat in the 'fat burning zone' or at lower intensities. But, at higher intensities, you burn a greater number of overall calories which is what you should be concerned about when trying to lose weight. The chart below details the fat calories expended by a 130-pound woman during cardio exercise:

Low Intensity - 60-65% MHR High Intensity - 80-85% MHR
    Total Calories expended per min. 4.86- 6.86
    Fat Calories expended per min. 2.43- 2.7
    Total Calories expended in 30 min. 146- 206
    Total Fat calories expended in 30 min. 73- 82
    Percentage of fat calories burned 50%- 39.85%

From The 24/5 Complete Personal Training Manual, 24 Hour Fitness, 2000
  • chelsealjames
    Options
    I am very curious to see the comments. I too am 5'3, bu t129 lbs. I can never seem to lose more than a few pounds. Sometimes I feel doomed lol. I was stuck at 130 for weeks. Then after logging all my calories etc. last week I lost 1.2 lbs. The frustrating thing is that before logging I was basically eating the same things and same amount. So I'm not really sure what changed. How long have you been plateaued?

I actually gained 10-15 lbs 2 years ago, and I have been trying now for about a year to get it off. At one point I even went to the extreme of eating like 1000 calories a day, which caused me to hold onto fat. I'm gonna try to eat small meals throughout the day and increase my calories i think. Just now when I logged my food though, it told me I was going way over in my protein. But I keep hearing "more protein! more protein!"
  • TennisLoveGirl
    TennisLoveGirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know what the difference is between the "fat burn" range and "cardio" range ?? I am 5'3" and am working on getting down to 135 lbs. Haven't plateaued yet...
  • brookesready
    brookesready Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I actually gained 10-15 lbs 2 years ago, and I have been trying now for about a year to get it off. At one point I even went to the extreme of eating like 1000 calories a day, which caused me to hold onto fat. I'm gonna try to eat small meals throughout the day and increase my calories i think. Just now when I logged my food though, it told me I was going way over in my protein. But I keep hearing "more protein! more protein!"

I gained my weight 2 years ago too. I have been trying hard to lose it for a year also. I was 128-126 last August and could never lose more than a few pounds. I had some life changes and gained a few more pounds around the holidays bringing me to 134 (Jan 22nd 2011). Weird/ personal question, but are you on any birth control pills? I feel like that was contributing factor to my weight gain and possible culprit as to why its so difficult to get off.

As far as the protein goes I believe more to be true. Myfitnesspal.com sets your protein in the lower range of percentage. I believe 15%. I customized mine to a goal of 30% protein.
  • chelsealjames
    Options

I gained my weight 2 years ago too. I have been trying hard to lose it for a year also. I was 128-126 last August and could never lose more than a few pounds. I had some life changes and gained a few more pounds around the holidays bringing me to 134 (Jan 22nd 2011). Weird/ personal question, but are you on any birth control pills? I feel like that was contributing factor to my weight gain and possible culprit as to why its so difficult to get off.

As far as the protein goes I believe more to be true. Myfitnesspal.com sets your protein in the lower range of percentage. I believe 15%. I customized mine to a goal of 30% protein.

I am taking birth control, but I was taking it even when I weighed 114, so I don't really know if that's a big factor or not. I've heard before that the science behind it is that the estrogen triggers something causing you to want to eat more, not really that it causes you to store fat, if that makes sense.
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    I am on my last couple of pounds and what is working for me is upping my water intake, upping my calories (I started at 1200, and I upped to 1400 calories) , and I changed my exercise routines and DVDs up. That is what I am doing right now and it is slow and steady to win the race.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that the final few pounds aren't really the hardest too loose, but instead the slowest to loose.

This is when diet is the most important. I wish I could say more but someone is yelling at me to get back to mowing...
  • spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I see folks say BUMP alot on this site what does that mean or stand for?