How much is too much salmon?

Options
MegJo
MegJo Posts: 398 Member
I Love salmon, I never use to cook it for myself until recently. Now I find myself having it at least 3 times a week.
Do you think there are any negatives to this?

I love all sorts of fish but I feel the most comfortable cooking salmon - any ideas for cooking other types of fish?

Replies

• drward
    drward Posts: 10
    Options
    I've heard that Salmon is one of the healthiest fish you can eat. It is full of the Omega stuff they talk about. My family eats it almost every week! Try it mixed with Brown rice and a steamed veggie! Yum!
  • Kaylalovewell
    Options
    i'm right there with you! i love salmon! even when i go out to eat, i get salmon! yummy!!
  • johnandholli
    Options
    I don't think there is such thing as too much salmon. It is one of the fattier fishes, but it has all that Omegas in it. Cod is an easy fish, cook til flaky like salmon use light butter product, lemon juice and italian type herbs or lemon n herb or lemon pepper. It is a mild flavored fish compared to salmon.
  • sstonewall
    Options
    Can never go wrong with george formaning everything although a frying pan works just about as well. I eat fish constantly too and salmon truly is one of the healthiest, just make sure when you buy it you are buying wild caught as i doubt there are any additives in wild salmon. Also try Swai Filets. i know my local wal mart had a sale recently (not sure if it still exists), and i was able to get 2lbs for 6.50!!! it is a white fish like haddock and can be prepared by broiling or frying it. Add a little hot sauce or crushed red peppers and your other favorite herbs and you are good to go!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I love salmon, too. If you have a Costco membership, the frozen bags with 7oz portions works out well $$$ wise. Salmon is very healthy, however there are risks in eating large quantities of it when it's farm raised as opposed to wild caught. Even wild caught can have issues if the waters have higher levels of contaminants. I'm no expert in this, but I'm sure there's some good info on the internet regarding this. I wish I knew the "safe" amount, although I'm not one to worry a lot about chemicals and what not. It's hard enough worrying about calories and nutrition! :smile:
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I think you only need to worry about it if it is everyday several times a day. Fish has a small amount of mercury in it. But I here if you eat it 3-4 times a week it is very good for you.

Ever make salmon patties? Yum! My fav!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Watch Albertson's. Im not good at cooking so fish can intimidate me. Alberton's has it pre-seasoned and you just put it in a glass pan and presto. They season it to get rid of it, but if you call the meat counter or ask when you get there, they will usually season it for you. Make sure they cut off the scales though because that is a pain. I have noticed that since taking fish oil, I now crave fish. I used to NEVER eat it before. hhhmmm.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    salmon is really good for you, its pretty low in mercury too, unlike tuna which is high...
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    basa and/or tilapia are good too
  • mel_0920
    mel_0920 Posts: 11
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's delish and very healthy and high in omega 3 oils. If you get bored of Salmon and want to switch it up, just get some other fish like Tilapia, Tuna, Mahi Mahi so you can feel better about not turning into a Salmon yourself :) just kidding. Enjoy it, it's good for you.
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    basa and/or tilapia are good too

Tilapia!!! love it!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    You can have too much fish? :noway:
  • SDLester
    SDLester Posts: 24
    Options
    Salmon is my most favorite fish. O'Charleys has a cedar plank 9 oz Salmon dinner that is a killer!! I get that once a week with asparagus and broccoli.Tilapia and sea bass are also a very good fish! Fish and chicken I could go on and on :) Anyone needing a friend please send a request. I have meant my weight goals but still log my diary daily...I also allow friends to view ;) Helps keep me in line :)
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You've gone overboard with the salmon when you start bathing with it or sleeping with it at night.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can have too much salmon, but its alot before it gets to be a bad thing. According to Levenson CW and Axelrad D. Too much of a good thing? Update on fish consumption and mercury exposure. Nutrition Rev (2006) 64: 139-145, salmon's murcury content, for a 3oz serving, is around .01 parts per million. The daily recomended dosage for a man is around .19 and females its .14. That means you'd have to eat 42oz of tuna a day to become bad. Talapia has the same amount. Canned light tuna has .12. Canned albacore tuna is .35. Just something to think about.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    You've gone overboard with the salmon when you start bathing with it or sleeping with it at night.

Live, raw, or cooked?
  • monica208
    monica208 Posts: 229
    Options

Omg that is so funny
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Live, raw, or cooked?

Live. Lol!
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Its great to know there are some fish lovers out there!! I'll try the other suggestions too!!

I'm off to go get my salmon bath ready :laugh: