Buying tips for A HRM??

Options
okay, just decided to purchase a HRM and pulled up thousands...:noway: Anyone have any suggestions on one? Do they really work? Is it worth the $$?

Replies

• clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    okay, just decided to purchase a HRM and pulled up thousands...:noway: Anyone have any suggestions on one? Do they really work? Is it worth the $$?
  • chelle1717
    chelle1717 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar F-6 (coral color) about a month ago and I :heart: it! I got it at ****'s Sporting Goods & it was about $110. I'm still getting used to some of the different settings, but overall I think it's great and definitely worth the money. I'm more confident that I have my calories correct for the day & I'm not overestimating (or underestimating) calories burned, which could lead to weight gain instead of loss. Whenever I see people question calories burned in an aerobics class or during a workout video, I think how easy it would be to find out with a heartrate monitor!

And now, ladies and gents, my commercial is over. :laugh:
  • chelle1717
    chelle1717 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh, and P.S., the Polar F-4 or F-6 were recommended to me by a friend who is a spinning instructor, if that helps lend any weight to the decision.
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar F6! I finally broke down and got one and haven't regretted it at all! I've even worn it all day on the excercise setting, just to see how many calories I burn in a typical day. I burned way more than I had thought, so I was able to up my calories :bigsmile: I started with one from Wal-mart that was just a watch, but I got tired of having to push the buttons to check my HR every couple of minutes. With the F6, I can even put the watch on the bike during spin class so I can keep my hands on the handlebars and still monitor my HR. It's definately worth the money. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar F-11 on ebay for $130 (Great deal considering the gym I go to was trying to sell me one for $169!) and I love it! Now there's no more guessing on how many calories I burn, and I don't have to use the workout machine's "estimate", which is always much higher than what my HRM says!

I think that you need to decide how many features you want your HRM to have, and go from there. I know that the Polar F-11 does so many things other than tell you how many calories you burn.

Good luck with your search! I think no matter what HRM you decide to get, you will love it once you do!
  • arjames82
    arjames82 Posts: 154
    Options
    I also have the Polar F6 and I absolutely love it! It is one of the best fitness investments I have ever made, next to a good pair of running shoes.
  • clewliss
    Options
    So, I've read about the chest strap? What is this and does it come with the HRM?
  • arjames82
    Options
    It's an elastic strap that you wear around your chest (at the bra line) that measures your heart rate constantly. If your HRM doesn't come with it, then you're probably going to have to hold your finger on a sensor somewhere on the watch. I initially brought a HRM w/o a chest strap, but I hated it because it didn't give me constant readings. I traded it in for my Polar F6 which comes with the chest strap and it's great. The chest strap was a little uncomfortable in the beginning, but once i learned to align it with the bottom of my sports bra, i no longer had a problem. Unfortunately, that tip is only helpful for the ladies.:bigsmile:
  • clewliss
    Options
    It's an elastic strap that you wear around your chest (at the bra line) that measures your heart rate constantly. If your HRM doesn't come with it, then you're probably going to have to hold your finger on a sensor somewhere on the watch. I initially brought a HRM w/o a chest strap, but I hated it because it didn't give me constant readings. I traded it in for my Polar F6 which comes with the chest strap and it's great. The chest strap was a little uncomfortable in the beginning, but once i learned to align it with the bottom of my sports bra, i no longer had a problem. Unfortunately, that tip is only helpful for the ladies.:bigsmile:

Thank you for explaining that! I was looking at the Polar F6 and read about the chest strap but didn't see one so I was unsure about that part! I'm thinking I will ask DH for one for my b-day Nov 13! Thanks again:smile:
  • arjames82
    Options

Thank you for explaining that! I was looking at the Polar F6 and read about the chest strap but didn't see one so I was unsure about that part! I'm thinking I will ask DH for one for my b-day Nov 13! Thanks again:smile:

I'm a November baby too (27th-Turkey day this year)! Happy early birthday to you!
  • clewliss
    Options

I'm a November baby too (27th-Turkey day this year)! Happy early birthday to you!
    Oh wow! We'll have to have a b-day party!! I guess we'll have to keep it healthy this year:happy: