Kombucha

Options
Ok this guy at work is over here advising me to drink this along with a healthy diet and excercise and I will lose. I looked it up and it sounds like a bacteria....I mean who knows...it might eat away at your organs or something.....but they sell it at Henrys on Laguna which is a health food store......
Any one ELSE ever heard of this drink?

Replies

• _LDM_
    _LDM_ Posts: 81
    Options
    Hahahah! Yes, I've heard of it and I love it. It is VERY good for you. Start with grape - it's my favorite!
  • chris1132
    chris1132 Posts: 58
    Options
    I have two bottles of the citrus flavor sitting in my fridge waiting for me to drink them...but the floaty bits at the bottom kind of turn me off. Haha. Maybe I'll give them a try tomorrow!
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    it's really good for you, but only going to help with weightloss if you drink it like you are supposed to with the right diet ect... and i think it tastes like *kitten* hahahaa
  • susannamn
    Options
    Yes, oh, yes! I love it too. I started making it myself last summer. Don't be afraid. Although most people I've asked to try it either love it or hate it. My favorite brand is Synergy. I like the Mango or Trilogy flavors.

Good luck and don't be afraid. It really is good for you. I can't say that it has helped me lose any weight but I feel good drinking it.
  • Arielnesika
    Arielnesika Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha, yes the drink is basically the waste from a big old fungus. Kind of.

My parents are big hippies and when I was young it was a thing in their group of friends to grow kombucha. It is a big saucer-shaped fungus/bacteria culture that would grow in a solution of Lipton tea and white sugar. The hippies would talk about how much energy and magical powers it had but I have a sneaking suspicion that it could have been all that caffein and sugar that they weren't used to! Awesome. The nicely packaged versions that they sell in the health food stores are pasturized, etc. so it's really not that gross. I've just always been a skeptic.

Here's the wikipedia article on it. And it really does look exactly like the picture on the right!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha
  • m0_0m
    m0_0m Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff. It's all bubbly and delicious. Except for the plain/original flavors. Ugh! Those taste like alfalfa.
    It's pro biotic, detoxifying, and anti-oxidant rich.
    I'd like to try making my own someday. As the commercial stuff is pretty expensive.
  • hamsmash
    hamsmash Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hmm it's fermented tea, couldn't find any conclusive evidence of detoxifying properties. I suspect any benefit is from the original tea having anti oxidant properties. Fermented with yeast and bacteria that creates a SCOBY. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCOBY

and it's .5% Alcohol by volume
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    eat away at a organ hmmmm whatever makes the scale move to the left lol jk ! try it n of course lemme know!
  • bespatter
    bespatter Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I drink a little bit everyday, usually the plain kind with some ginger juice in it. It's sooo good. It's chock full of probiotics and B-Vitamins. I CRAVE it now!
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm in love with this drink. I drink G.T Kombucha (its the store-bought kind)
    I wouldn't drink it because you think its going to make you lose weight. There is no scientific evidence that suggests this. Who knows about its health benefits. I drink it because it tastes good to me :) It also makes me not want to drink soda!
  • RebelBrew
    RebelBrew Posts: 55
    Options
    My chef instructor got me on the m when I stared this and i am down 28 pounds It is normaly my breakfast and if i dont have one I feel like *kitten* and "off" the rest of the day. I have had almost all of the flavors of GT's Kombucha. thay are awsome.
  • Ashrenalls
    Ashrenalls Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    http://www.kombuchahome.com/

Pretty interesting.