Peeing out water?

Options
When someone is retaining water and then they stop retaining water... Did they pee that water out? I noticed that I gained 2 pounds right around the time I began taking in a lot of sodium (3000mg + daily) and decided to cut back to my usual 1200 - 1500. I noticed I began peeing a LOT more and the water retention is going away. That's why I ask! :)

Replies

• fitnezrox
    fitnezrox Posts: 41
    Options
    You will lose it through urine and sweat.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    technically i guess yes you are peeing out that water haha your body is eliminating all the water it was holding due to sodium.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's how it works. :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yep! It could be released through urine, sweat, probably poop I assume! :happy: But yes. You can always increase your water intake as well and that will help with water retention.
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Really? How does that work? Drinking more water to hold onto less water I mean.
  • Texaganian
    Options
    And respiration. You breathe out an amazing amount of water and also lose some from your skin even when you aren't breaking a sweat.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Yep! It could be released through urine, sweat, probably poop I assume! :happy: But yes. You can always increase your water intake as well and that will help with water retention.

Exactly this! If you're retaining water, especially due to sodium, increase your water intake. I don't know how it works, but I've had a few doctors, nurses and a pharmacist confirm this.

It seems backwards to drink more when you're retaining but it will help. I've been there. If I don't drink more, it takes longer to flush it out of your system.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Since salt (sodium chloride) is a poison - yet we need a little of it to survive - the body keeps it properly diluted so that it is safe to use. When we eat to much salt, the body retains more water in order to dilute the extra. When that excess salt is finally excreted, the body then gets rid of the extra water - or else the salt needed would be TOO diluted.

- This is why weight can fluctuate a couple of pounds daily, depending on your salt intake.

- this is why most people have quick weight loss the first couple of weeks into a diet; since they watch their food, their salt intake also usually goes down, and the body then sheds pounds of water it has been retaining.

- this is also why it is recommended that you weigh in weekly instead of daily. It's easier to see actual weight loss rather than daily losses and gains because of water retention.
  • az1cowgirl
    Options
    I am prescribed water pills because I retain water like a camel. When I do have high sodium days I will see it on the scale the next day. If I then increase my water intake and limit my sodium, it exits through urine. I only take the water pills when my ankles disappear!

Hope this helps!
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will definitely tinkle it out especially if you drink a ton of water a day after consuming tons of sodium.

I had a salt binge over the weekend and tried to make up for it by drinking a lot of water on Monday. I was running back and forth to the bathroom all day. I think I may have broken a Guiness record for number of visits to a toilet in one day.
  • fitnezrox
    fitnezrox Posts: 41
    Options
    You may want to track sodium and sugars on your daily food log. So you have an accurate account of both of them. Both tend to stall weight loss. Sodium by way of water retention and sugar by turning into glycogen in the body and then storing in your fat cells since our bodies cannot burn off and metabolize large quantities of sugar.

Oh yes, and lemon water is a great natural diuretic.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Really? How does that work? Drinking more water to hold onto less water I mean.

if you're dehydrated, your body doesn't want to give up its last reserves, so you "retain" water. When you are drinking plenty and your body sees no shortage in hydration, it releases the hold and you pee a lot more. You should aim to get your pee really light yellow or even clear, then you know you're well hydrated!