Frustrated!

Options
Ive hit a brick wall here, and i need an explanation from anyone who may know an answer?
I've been coming on MFP almost everyday for 6-8 weeks.
I do everyone it tells me to, and i work out 3-5 days a week, burning between 400-900 calories a day.
i always make sure i consume a lot of those calories back, so i do not put my body in starvation mode.

My problem is, I HAVEN'T LOST ANY WEIGHT! whats the deal here?

Replies

• spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    you are underestimating the calories you are eating and over estimating the calories you are burning

eat less but don`t drop below 1200 per day
  • lazywriter
    Options
    Well, here goes. I don't eat back my calories. I've decided not to. I do not burn thousands of calories a day -- or even a week. I DO exercise 4x a week, and I run 3x a week. But I don't eat back the calories. I've lost 2" on my waist, 8lbs, and 2" on my hips in 1 month. I think the "eating back of calories" is for the 90lb fifteen year olds who join and then burn 1000 calories a day on the elliptical and want to eat just a pack of gum and a sandwich all day. This is all purely my opinion, though. I vote you go a week without eating back calories and exercise while sticking to 1500 cals a day. See where that takes you.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Not an expert, but I might suspect that you are either underestimating your food calories or overestimating your workout calories (or some combination of both). There may, of course, be issues specific to your body and situation that are having this result. I am sure you will get great feedback.

One other thing I would suggest is taking measurements. Sometimes, the scale doesn't tell the full story about the changes your body is going through.

Best of Luck!!! I can imagine that is a very frustrating circumstance.

--Carter
  • thogue29
    thogue29 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hey - I'm thinking it might not hurt to have some blood work done. This will ensure you don't have any defiencies that are causing your body to resist the efforts you are putting in. Just a thought...I hope things turn around for you soon...don't give up!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    you are underestimating the calories you are eating and over estimating the calories you are burning

eat less but don`t drop below 1200 per day

I agree. Measuring food has given me a better visual of calories, Bought heart rate monitor for calories burned. I am not consistent, but know when I am eating right. How are your measurements. Stick with it!
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I agree about not eating back your calories. I did that my first week (ate my exercise calories) and didn't lose a single thing. Now, I don't eat them at all or eat, at most, half my calories from exercise. I know it must be frustrating... hang in there!
  • wanitalilly
    wanitalilly Posts: 108
    Options
    I'm right there with ya! I have lost very little weight in the 40 days I have been tracking. But look at it this way, you are not harming your body, and you're are on the right track. Just don't lose hope. Mess with your calories. I didn't lose until I upped mine. Good Luck!!
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Here's a really good article that may help you to understand, diagnose and breakthrough your plateau:
    http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2011/01/unexplainable-fat-loss-plateaus-explained.php

Good luck!
  • bleumagoo18
    Options
    I dont eat all of the calories i burn, maybe 100 of them tops!
    MFP has me set on a 1400 calorie diet, which i always eat.
    I eat whole grains, lots of protein and vegatables and fruit, i cery rarely eat crappy food.

I have lost 2 inches in my waist and 2 inches in my hips, but i went from 145 10 150 in the last two months.
  • Soooze
    Soooze Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Been there. Done that.
    Here's what I did: I had my weight loss per week setup at 2 lbs/week which gave me 1200 cals per day. This is darn near impossible without fainting when working out twice/day. So, I changed the setting to 1 lbs per week, that gave me 1350 calories. I also realized that sometimes not eating the workout calories would bring me into starvation mode (-1200cals) so now I make sure that the minimum I EVER eat is 1200 cals... I eat some of the calories burned working out but not always all of them.

In other words, say I eat 1350 cals and workout for 350cals = 1000 cals .. I would then eat 200 cals minimum.

Does it help?

Also, something else you may want to check is your sodium intake. In my case, it makes a huge difference if I go over the recommended daily intake. And like someone already said, take measurements, especially if you recently started working out the changes may be in inches, not lbs lost.
  • brittanyhkirsch
    Options
    you're doing everything right as i can see. just drink way more water. don't eat back the cals. you lose. and eat lots and lots protein. you have about a 15 minute window after working out to fit in as much protein as you can. :)

Lay off the carbs man. I've lost 5 pounds doing that.
  • Rzimmermano
    Options
    you're doing everything right as i can see. just drink way more water. don't eat back the cals. you lose. and eat lots and lots protein. you have about a 15 minute window after working out to fit in as much protein as you can. :)

Lay off the carbs man. I've lost 5 pounds doing that.

Hey Britt! You sound just like me:)
    :happy: