Alcohol :(

Options
rusta
rusta Posts: 29 Member
Ok... so I don't want to come across like an alcoholic...... but I am struggling to cut alcohol out of my diet.

I seem to be doing really well during the week - but when I head out on a Friday or Saturday night - or sit back a watch a game of football - BAM! I basically drink my whole allowance on top of what I have eat.

Does anyone have any tips for low calorie / kilojoule alcoholic drinks - or tips for cutting back?

Also - if I am still meeting my kilojoule goal - but some of those kilojoules come from alcohol, will I still lose weight?

Replies

• CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could always bank your work-out calories and drink them on the weekend. However, not to further rain on your parade, but alcohol has another setback in addition to the raw calories and that is that it slows your metabolism. So, there is a compounding negative effect.

Good Luck!!! Switching to from beer to Scotch helped me, but we each must find our own path.

--Carter
  • mrstashii
    Options
    I love beer and if you like it you should definitely get the bud 55 calorie beer! :)
  • ponchita08
    Options
    oh, me too :( I am 23 years old and I still like to go out and have a few drinks. I fancy whiskey and I try not to drink a lot but I still haven't found a good solution to the calorie problem.
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    There is a website called getdrunknotfat.com. Gives you calories vs. alcohol content.
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    this was actually the hardest thing for me, especially being 22. i love to drink. and i dont want to cut it out of my life. I try on days I know I am going to drink to eat fewer calories, but still get enough food so i dont feel hungry. I have cut back a lot on the amount of alcohol i drink though, because there isnt really any way around it. Make sure after drinking to get plenty of fluids the next day, because it does set back your metabolism, but lots of water will help to reboost it, and also rehydrate you.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I cut out alcohol during the week altogether when I used to have wine almost every night and now only let myself drink on Fridays/Saturdays. That lets me get my party on without blowing everything. I watch what I eat even stronger on Fridays so that I have some extra cals for my party.

just be prepared for the "alcohol bloat" - for two(ish) days after you drink you retain extra water.

I'm a vodka and sugar free (insert energy drink here) or a vodka a "diet" cranberry kinda girl. Save calories on the mixers and leave them for the alcohol. ;)
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Guinness very dark, very filling, 170cals per 12oz serving.
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot a while back... but when I made a lifestyle change and started getting healthy and exercise, alcohol just wasn't appeasing anymore. I wish I could paint a pretty picture for you, but alcohol is just plain not good for your diet, no matter how you twist or turn it... one or two drinks are okay but if you are talking about 6 or 7 beers, a few margaritas and what not on a regular (every weekend) basis, it's a diet sabotage... BUT it is okay, (i think) to do it once in a while.. Too much of those empty calories are hard to tiptoe around!!! :-/ Maybe you should drink one or two of those light beers, I am sure those are okay :) those 67 calorie ones? and babysit a little bit, just so you don't finish and add one more.. Ugh shots are the worst... On my birthday i took 7 shots and I didn't even realize it...But you can do it :)
  • Carm52
    Carm52 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do vodka soda water with extra limes :o) It's a little bitter at first, but with a little extra lime, you can get used to it!!
  • LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    Options
    Are you an aussie? Im a kiwi and can sympathise - it's so hard to cut it out of your diet!
    I would say, switch from wines/beers to vodka & soda where possible....and work out more. Well, thats my plan, anyway. good luck!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I struggle with that balance too. I recently figured out that no alcohol means i stay on track better. I know that sounds dumb but if i have liquid calories, I also tend to eat more. My husband and I are 25 now and we need to change our lifestyle so as a result the drinking is stopping. do what ever you think is best but be careful, drinking can creep into you life more then you realize.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    There is a website called getdrunknotfat.com. Gives you calories vs. alcohol content.
    hey - thanks for that Good reference site. I like how they back up their cal counts with where they got the info.
  • kbarton26
    kbarton26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you like margaritas: At Specs Liquor store they have packets called "Zilch" They are 0 cal margarita mix packets that you combine with tequila and water. They're awesome!
  • rusta
    Options
    I have pretty much stopped drinking during the week now.... and am finding that I can do like an hour of kickboxing on a Saturday morning - then I feel less guilty about the 6 or 7 ciders I have on Saturday night!! It does make any exercise on Sunday not very appealing though!

I guess I just have to weigh up what I want more - booze or solid weight loss!
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm a whiskey girl myself.:drinker: My diet regime is : Mondays are always, always Fruits/vegetables until dinner and dinner has to be healthy on Mondays. If I had more than my share of liquor over the weekend than Tuesday may be a repeat of Monday. The rest of the week I eat what I want and drink what I want. and don't ever feel deprived. I also work out at least 5-6 times a week (bootcamp, JM Dvds, or elliptical depending on time). Good luck, you will find what works for you to enjoy the journey and maintain your health! It's only taken me 43 years!! :noway:
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Beer is probably the WORST alcoholic beverage to drink. The carbs and sugars in it play havoc with your metabolism, but they also tend to lay fat on your midsection ('beer belly' is real). ;)

I'm like you - I want to be able to have a drink when I feel like it. What I do is have a scotch on rocks, then follow with a full glass of water. Rinse; repeat. Not only am I able to track the cals appropriately, they are kept to a minimum. Also, the extra water helps slake any 'thirst' I may be feeling, keeps me going to the can like a couple of beers would - and minimizes any hangovers the next day (dehydration being one of the prime components of a hangover).

Works for me.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Ok... so I don't want to come across like an alcoholic...... but I am struggling to cut alcohol out of my diet.

I seem to be doing really well during the week - but when I head out on a Friday or Saturday night - or sit back a watch a game of football - BAM! I basically drink my whole allowance on top of what I have eat.

Does anyone have any tips for low calorie / kilojoule alcoholic drinks - or tips for cutting back?

Also - if I am still meeting my kilojoule goal - but some of those kilojoules come from alcohol, will I still lose weight?

A vodka and Cranberry (Diet) is only about 70 cal. no carbs. and you won't drink as much as you would beer. Sip it, it last longer.
  • rusta
    Options
    Beer is probably the WORST alcoholic beverage to drink. The carbs and sugars in it play havoc with your metabolism, but they also tend to lay fat on your midsection ('beer belly' is real). ;)

I'm like you - I want to be able to have a drink when I feel like it. What I do is have a scotch on rocks, then follow with a full glass of water. Rinse; repeat. Not only am I able to track the cals appropriately, they are kept to a minimum. Also, the extra water helps slake any 'thirst' I may be feeling, keeps me going to the can like a couple of beers would - and minimizes any hangovers the next day (dehydration being one of the prime components of a hangover).

Works for me.

I'll happily drink scotch - but not by itself..... maybe with Sprite Zero or something? Would that be better that cider?
  • rusta
    Options
    If you like margaritas: At Specs Liquor store they have packets called "Zilch" They are 0 cal margarita mix packets that you combine with tequila and water. They're awesome!

Wow that sounds awesome! So you only have calories from the tequila then? Specs is that in the US?
  • brittanynwillis
    Options
    I completely understand, when I go out of the weekends, it's hard not to drink all your calories in a night. (esp. since my favorite drink is a whiskey sour!) I've learned that anything mixed with Sweet&Sour mix is out of the question. I try to replace my mixers with something that's zero calories (diet cranberry, diet coke, etc) and that way you only have the actual alcohol to contend with.

Also, I know besides the high caloric alcoholic drinks, I'm a terrible snacker after a night at the club: be it McDonalds or any 24hr food place! So, besides the drinky-drinks I also have to contend with the 2am snack-attack! My solution for this: I just try to convince myself I'm not hungry and go to bed....but if there's no claiming the beast, I avoid the fatty-fast foods and make sure I have good snacks/foods at home (already prepared for easy grabbing). I made a really good tuna salad (only 100 calories) before a night out, came home had a couple bites and crashed.

Good Luck! and hope some of this helps!