Hi, my name is Kim, and I am addicted to food!!

Options
Ok, I have a LOT of weight to lose, would love to lose over 200 lbs!! I've been looking at some before and after pics and may I say, WTG everyone!!! Anyone else start out not being able to exercise and still lost weight?!?! I would love to here from you. I had surgery on my back in 2004, and my physical abilities are very limited. I really need to lose some weight before I exercise. Just really bad out of shape!!!

Replies

• thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    When I started (riding bike) I could not ride it a half mile and I hurt not the next day but two days later. It took that long for the stiffness to hit. But you just have to keep doing it, you will have some pain but you need to deal with the pain and push yourself a little bit more each week. Increase your work outs at week levels not daily. Today a year later I average over 20 miles on each bike ride with my longest being 71 miles.

You will find good support here, just keep checking in each day and ask questions.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You should start by dieting for the first few months. Reduce your calorie intake by using the Food tracker, and the weight will start coming off. Once you have lost some weight, start to regularly excercise.
  • susancelli928
    Options
    Hi Kim. Everyone can exercise even if it walking around your house twice, When I first started my weight loss last year, I was over 300lbs (which is the biggest I ever was as you can see through my profile pic) Now even though I am still obese, I feel better and look better. You did the first step by signing up for MFP. Just know people are here for you whether you have a bad day or good day. Good luck and van I just say, find supporitve people to make your friends on here that understand what exactly you are going through.
  • 2011_4mygirls
    2011_4mygirls Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    So glad to have you here. I am pretty new too but everyone seems so encouraging and motivating. You will be able to lose weight without exercising, but it will be harder. It is all about calorie intake just start counting your calories. Can you exercise your arms at all? If so then just start doing arm lifts (even without weights). If not, don't stress you can do it!
  • bogle34
    bogle34 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to food too, it has control of me not good!! Welcome, we need the support & don't give up, it takes patience...
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    if you have access to a pool, a friends or a rec center.....get in one and just do laps or take a class for water aerobics they both will work and the water is a great cushion for the joints...hope that helps
  • MammaEllis
    Options
    Hi there!

When I started out I weighed 369 pounds. As you can imagine, I couldnt do much in the way of exercise. Actually, I promised myself that for the first 50 pounds, I WOULDNT exercise! I wanted to focus on getting my food under control before worrying about activity.

My adivce... track EVERY SINGLE THING you put in your mouth and stay at your calorie goal every single day.

You can make it happen. You will start feeling better and better with each pound that drops and before you know it you will have the energy to start dipping your toes in the exercise pool!

Best wished to you!

830631.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a LOT of weight to lose, would love to lose over 200 lbs!! I've been looking at some before and after pics and may I say, WTG everyone!!! Anyone else start out not being able to exercise and still lost weight?!?! I would love to here from you. I had surgery on my back in 2004, and my physical abilities are very limited. I really need to lose some weight before I exercise. Just really bad out of shape!!!

Hi Kim,

Welcome to MFP! I'm addicted to food too and I had about 200 pounds to lose when I started as well.

Exercise doesn't have to be strenuous to work. When you're as large as I was ... the goal is just to MOVE! If you look on the web, there are even exercises you can do seated in a chair. So it can be done. I started out with 20 minute intervals of exercise 3 x a week and now do it for 30 minutes a day about 4 - 5 days a week. I still don't do it everyday .... but it's about progress not perfection.

You'll find great support and tools here that will help keep you motivated.

You can friend me if you'd like.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You should start by dieting for the first few months. Reduce your calorie intake by using the Food tracker, and the weight will start coming off. Once you have lost some weight, start to regularly excercise.

This is exactly what I did for the first two months. I am just now starting to exercise regularly. My schedule is nuts and I knew that if I tried to change too many things at one time I would give up because I wouldn't be able to keep up. I started off needing to lose about 50 pounds or so and am already down 14 pounds just by eating better. Some days are better than others, but the two things that have helped me the most are trying to keep meals to about 400 calories and being armed with safe snacks while I am at work. I portion everything out. For example. I LOVE cheese and crackers. Before I would have eaten what would amount to like 8 servings or something like that. Now when I buy cheese I cut it immediately into 1 ounce chunks and then I bring only one to work and a single Wasa Crispbread which I break into about 6 pieces and then I take a small bite of cheese from the chunk and eat a piece of the cracker. I still feel like I am getting to eat something I love but have scaled it down immensely! Please add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • McBoBo
    McBoBo Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi! Welcome =) You are in good company here! I started off last summer by seeing a nutritionist weekly and she monitored my foods and gave me a lot of food education. A medical or workout professional may be able to give you some simple/basic/easy excercises that can still give you the cardio benefit while you change your lifestyle (diets end, you need to make a lifestyle change =) Use the food tracker and ask questions...be honest on everything. Best wishes to you on your journey :)
  • summerfun21
    Options
    It can absolutely be done Kim. I have a co-worker that lost 30 pds and when I asked him what he did to lose the weight; exercise never crossed his lips. He said he watched his caloric intake and made smarter choices about what he ate. Obviously once you are able to, definitely incorporate the exercise part of it.

You can do it. And before you know it, you'll be posting those before and after pics also:)
  • Strawberry34
    Options
    Thank you for your comments! Feel free to add me if you want to.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP about 6 weeks ago, I was pretty skeptical. I want to lose 150 lbs, and as we both know -- those big numbers can be daunting (to say the least). So I started really slow, committing to lose just 1/2 lb a week (that's the minimum amount of weight the system allows, I think) and NO exercise. Five days or so in, I was already starting to think differently about how, what and when I eat. The accountability that MFP offers is exactly what I needed, apparently. Six weeks later, I'm happy to report I'm 20 lbs. down ... and I've actually started walking a bit once in a while.

I can relate to the whole pain thing, so if you can't do much exercise right now, don't worry about it -- and don't let that stop you! Changing your eating habits alone will have quite an impact. As you begin to lose pounds, you might think about focusing on stretching exercises and such, to help you limber up. I'm sure you're very familiar with those if you experienced the joy of rehab after surgery. I had both knees replaced in 2003, and sister -- if we can survive rehab, we can do this. :D

A couple of tips I've picked up along the way: Don't focus on the big number. It can be overwhelming, and it's going to take time to lose it. Instead, set small, easily attainable goals. For me, every glass of water I drink, every single pound and 1/2 inch I lose are big, big victories. And -- drink lots of water. LOTS. Makes a big difference when it comes to shutting down hunger pains. And every time you have to get up and visit the loo, well ... that's good. You'll be moving more. :)

Feel free to friend me if you want some company on the journey. Go, you!
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Good idea. Maybe walk a half mile or so during this time and work up to a mile per day.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hey Kim!
    Glad you decided to join us! I have been here 6 weeks and when I started out I could only walk about 10 min and I just increased it slowly. If you can't do that then what others have said about doing the decrease in calories will get you losing weight. Just be sure to track everything that goes in your mouth and get your intake of water up to 8 glasses. I increased my water gradually and now I probably drink 10 glasses a day on an average. As the weight comes off your back will get feel better. I dont have a back problem except when I walk it stiffens up. I just stop and stretch it and move on. Now as I am 28lbs lighter I can walk longer before my back stiffens up. You can do it! Just stick with it and if you need motivation just ask as the people here can give tough love and as well as compliments! I still have 92lbs to lose but 6 weeks ago I had 120lbs to lose. Take your time and keep going one day at a time. Even if you slip, just start a new the next day! Don't get discouraged. You can do it!!

Friend me if you would like!
    Kathy
  • daniel721
    Options
    hey guys my name is Daniel, I'm just starting off as well.... all of your words and advice seem to hard for me to achive, I've tried it before but something just ends up knocking me off the wagon, I eat well, make healthier choices, exercise, start to feel good, but then bam! I'm back to square one.... it's such a downer man! :/ I hope and pray with this new step I will be able to find the strength to stay on the wagon, not just for my self and my future but for my family and friends....
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim and welcome to MFP! I just started today and like you I have alot of weight to lose,, Its going to be a mission but one im ready for! if you are unable to get up and excercise try excercising sitting down or even laying down.. small leg lifts and arm rotations, etc are little ways to sneak in excercise! also they have a set of stationary pedals that you are often used in physical therapy that are great for people of limited mobility as are resistance bands! Good luck! Im sending you out a friend request!
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim, first of all I want to say that when I joined MFP 2 months ago I had 225 pounds to lose. I am down 35, but stuck in a plateau that has haunted me for a week now. I definitely DO NOT exercise everyday. Some days I exercise a lot, other days not at all. Exercise plays a role in weight loss, but calories are what really matter. And exercise comes in many different forms. For some people just walking around their house to the bathroom or the kitchen is the only exercise they can do. It does not matter what you do so long as you move once in a while. So don't let the exercise thing bring you down. Your body will be in shock by having a reduction in calories and will drop weight from that alone.

Best wishes on this journey!! My suggestion would be to not only find friends on here, but join groups. I am in two groups and absolutely love them. They offer support and challenges that keep me focused and going even while I am stuck in this dang plateau that has stopped the scale.