how to stop binging/stress eating?

Options
I really need help with motivation and ways to control stress that don't take a lot of time! I'm a full time college student writing a thesis as well as working 32 hours a week. My stress level is really high, and when i'm stressed I eat. That, plus being the new kid/thinnest person at the office, I'm always being pestered to eat more, and people don't understand why I'm on a diet/different approach to food. I've had eating disorders in the past, and am feeling overwhelmed. any suggestions?

SW: 123 (12/28/10)
CW: 118
GW: 105-110

Replies

• ashleighlvschris
    Options
    I would like to know too....
  • BusyMomma2012
    BusyMomma2012 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew! I stress eat bad
  • vanzeem
    vanzeem Posts: 107
    Options
    I got the book "break free from emotional eating" and it really helped me. My biggest problem was when i was at work i got very stressed, irritated, or whatever. The book helps you to step back and think about why you want to eat and if you're really hungry or not. It helps identify certain triggers and how to deal with them... just an idea. Good luck!
  • mnkris10
    mnkris10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I tell myself (sometimes when I catch myself) food is nourishment, not comfort.
  • livlinde
    livlinde Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm struggling with the SAME thing! I just get the urge to consume- and then I'll eat a whole container of ice cream or something fatty and excessive. It's especially bad during "that time of the month." :( I'm going to try doing something artistic, like drawing, painting, or knitting when I would normally eat from boredom. Tell me if you discover a strategy that works!
  • siurzua
    siurzua Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do the same, it just happen today =(
  • Bexster88
    Bexster88 Posts: 35
    Options
    Wow, I feel like I just read about myself in your post. I'm a full time grad student too who works 30 hours a week, which makes my stress eating a huge problem!! I get the same comments at work about how I'm getting too skinny and need to eat more. The other day I got referred to as "Ms. Healthy", which I am totally okay with :)

The best things I've found to help me are to first of all keep all sweets and junk food out of the house and stock up on loads of fruits and veggies. Secondly, I drink crystal light a lot, especially the energy ones for low-calorie caffeine boosts on top of the sweet tooth killer. Another thing that really helps me is chewing gum. I keep a lot of different flavors, like the strawberry orbit and watermelon trident, so it's sweet like a dessert. It's still a constant struggle for me every time a big test, project, or paper rolls around though. It just takes practice at overcoming the urge to eat.

I hope this helps!!
  • Christ1st
    Options
    I seem to do it alot, it's depressing. I hate when i do it. I'm like a kid when they get home from school want to eat everything.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    black coffee got me through school

sugarless gum perhaps

or make yourself brush your teeth 5 minutes before snacking -- that bit of self control is often all it takes

eat clean and healthy and take a multiviatmin+mineral so you're not deficient in anything
  • Christ1st
    Options
    Yhe Thing with me is ,I sometime cook for my family and that become really hard, because i start snacking. the Only thing i can thing of is run past the ketchen when i get home and go to my room.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Please come join our support for binge eating thread! :) I've had a problem with bingeing for the last two years, and since joining this thread, my binges have been steadily decreasing from 3-4x a week to 1-2. We are a very welcoming bunch and would love to have anyone join who needs the extra support. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186531-support-for-binge-eating-disorder

PS -- I'm a college student as well and I had some disordered eating issues in high school, so I can relate to you in regards to that. Let me know if you want to talk and feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • riascott
    riascott Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also need the answer for this. I cannot be just a little naughty. Its all or nothing with me and theres no inbetween. I feel like I am almost possessed when I binge and I just keep eating and eating and I have no idea why. I feel so guilty too but i dont stop.

Usually it starts with a healthy breakfast, then perhaps one slip up. At work its always someones birthday and Im either really good and decline chocolates, cakes or biscuits or I dont. On the day I dont I am really annoyed with myself and I then go on the roller coaster.... I think I will rule today out as a bad day and it just absolutely uncontollably snowballs. Ive been known to eat a whole block of cheese and even take the time to make cupcakes so that I have something sweet to binge and end up eating all 12. along with everything else I see. My binges are always 6000 calories plus. I feel physically sick and cannot move at the end of a binge day and I hate myself for doing this to my body but Im actually out of control.

I wish I could accept eating one cookie or one cake hasnt ruined my day and its not the start of a huge downhill bingeathon.

I hope that posting here helps me find someone who can stop me thinking this way... Ive thought about hypnosis for this.. Does that work?

Can you tell me a little more about the book that helps control binges?

Sorry for waffling on... x
  • oJoyGasmic
    Options
    I like to chill for 10 minutes and read a book. I suffer with an ED and have an unhealthy relationship with food but you shouldn't let that drag you down.