i have no willpower

Options
I am so frustrated with myself because I literally can't even follow mfp and stay within my calorie goal for a day. I am very discouraged and on the verge of quitting. Has anyone else ever felt similarly? :/

Replies

• twilightisbeast
    Options
    yes. we all get that way every once in a while but we have to just push threw it.:smile:
  • werryanne
    werryanne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yep. Today is the first day in a WHILE that I'm under my calories...and I'm under by *1* calorie. UGH. I just want to eat.

Though... I feel like doing it today is going to help me do it tomorrow, and maybe the next day too....

Keep at it!!
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i hear you, especially because my personal trainer told me to up my cals and my fats to way more than I feel comfortable. stick with it though! up your cals if you need to! as long as you're being healthy I'm sure you will continue to lose the weight... you can do this!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Why are you here? Why do you want to lose weight? How do you want to transform your life?

Spend some time reflecting on this... once you're ready, you'll make it work and you'll do what you need to do to make it happen. Will it be easy? No. Will you make mistakes or have bad days? Certainly. But you can't let the bad days get you down.

It comes down to you - only you can decide that you want to change.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Don't quit. I just joined and was ready to quit the first day- I binged within the first 4 hrs. I never thought logging a food diary was going to help me at all- figured the exact opposite. When I realized that although I screwed up, I didn't sabotage my ENTIRE day AND the day before ( which is what I figured). I don't know you but join me in this journey and we'll do it together.
  • 18moonpie
    Options
    I always have a hard time to reach calorie count stay with it I just started but it is worth it when you look back and say this is what I acheved
  • blondskyeyes
    blondskyeyes Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Even though I log my food I had months where I could not seem to even have the power to stay with in my calories. The most important thing to remember is that you cannot change what you have already eaten but you can change what you put in your body from her on out. Why don't you try setting out your meals so that each meal is about the same calories so you can interchange them to fit what you want to eat for that day.
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    Yes. And I did quit... for 3 months.. and I took it hard. I gained 10 pounds in those 3 months. I was just disgusted with myself. What it comes down to is that if you want it, you'll do it. It's hard work! But nothing works unless you do. I came back and I'm more motivated than ever. In 2 weeks I've already lost 4 pounds and I'm not stopping this time. What really helps me is to join challenges. It makes it fun. Right now I'm doing the 30 Day Shred. As far as staying in your calories, it takes effort and planning and it's okay to slip up once in a while. It's a learning process and nothing to feel guilty about. We just have to go through it to learn what works and what doesn't.. but stick to it and you'll see very quickly that it's worth it. Promise.
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've decided that the best way to look at mfp is not on a day to day approach. Definitely log every day, but don't count today as being who you are and the progress you're making (or not making). Look at the reports page. Figure out how you're doing over time. Sure, you may not be there every day, but are you making the right choices most of the time? Stick with it and you will see a difference. And thanks for giving us all the chance to give you a little pep talk. I needed it to hear it myself today.
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    I must be tired. I thought that said I have no wallpaper. But anyway, ya we all get that way. Just try to stick with it and eventually it will get easier.
  • Amyeeeeeee
    Amyeeeeeee Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    uh of course. I started watching what I ate back in Jan.. was doing good, lost 7 lbs.. starting fitting back into my size 16 jeans which made me so happy... then I got sick with allergies took a week off of work and guess what happened??? I gained back 7 1/2 lbs and it made me furious. I also didnt log in daily and I think thats where I went wrong so NOW Im back still sick but still trying. I have lost 1 1/2 lbs of that 7 and 1/2 I regained. I am determinted to loose 50 lbs total and I dont give a damn how long it takes. I know you can do this because you are already at that first step... you are on here and asking for support. If its okay I wanna add you so I can send you emails and support here and there. You feel free to do the same :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    When I got stressed about not hitting my goal....

It dawned on me that it's not hitting a number exactly, but falling within a range consistently...
    So, I went to the goals section and kept playing with the data I input. to get the following info
    You can figure out yours, but here's the idea...

To lose 1lb/week I get 1240 cal (target)

To lose 1/2lb/week I get 1470 cal

To maintain my GOAL weight I get 1670 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over my target by 400 cal
    I should still lose (maybe a little more slowly, but no reason to throw in the towel).

To maintain my CURRENT weight I get 1720 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over my target goal 500 cal
    I should not gain. So I'm not losing any ground. (I can take a break and then pick-up where I left off)

Even if I am not hitting every goal dead on I'm still doing much than I was before MFP.
    which, for me, is reason enough to stick with it.

Remember, it's not about being perfect it's about doing better.
    No matter where you start from it's all about taking baby steps.
    Later you look back and realize that all those baby steps add up to something substantial.

Also recently read a couple of articles, one said that one factor in successful weight loss is having measurable goals.
    I think this site is great for that. The other said that the slower you lose weight the more likely you are to keep it off.

Good Luck! Keep at it!
    and
    BE KIND TO YOUR SELF
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Why are you here? Why do you want to lose weight? How do you want to transform your life?

Spend some time reflecting on this... once you're ready, you'll make it work and you'll do what you need to do to make it happen. Will it be easy? No. Will you make mistakes or have bad days? Certainly. But you can't let the bad days get you down.

It comes down to you - only you can decide that you want to change.

I second this. You have to know what you are working toward and you have to believe it is valuable. Just picking a number on the scale to aim for is not a goal.

WHY do you want to lose 20 pounds? What does losing that 20 pounds do for you? How does it change your life? What does it enable you to do that you can't do today? What does it prevent that you don't want to have in your life?

Sit down and really think about the WHYs, not the numbers.

You DO have willpower. What you don't have are clearly defined, meaningful goals.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've kinda hit a wall, even though I'm doing the right things. But hang tight you'll settle in! Sometimes just knowing you have to enter it in your food journal will make you not want to eat it. (Make your diary public, then know that people are looking! That helped me.) I still have bad days, but they are getting better.
    Add me as a friend if you'd like, we can cheer each other on! We can do this!
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I thougt the wallpaper thing was funny. . . Lol.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    ugh, i hear you. lost 20 pounds, hit a wall, then joined mfp a little over a week ago & by logging everything and paying attn to cals i've lost 5 more pounds. suddenly something went stupid in my brain yesterday morning and the last two days have been awful. I've only quit eating cause my tummy hurts. Its pathetic. but tomorrow is a new day. I've put the fork down tonight, drank a crap load of water, and tomorrow am getting back on the wagon again....lol i say "tomorrow" but since it's actually the next day already then that means today is a new day, and today i am back on the wagon.
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Don't let your emotions get the best of you. Starting today just don't give yourself an excuse to go over your calories...don't justify it, just say no!:) Then once you have one day down you will feel a little better which will help you get through day 2, 3, etc. Just don't let it become an emotional thing, I do that a lot and all it does is make you beat yourself up. Try to think logically about food, before you eat listen to your body and see if you are actually hungry or if your mindlessly eating or if you just want it for taste, etc. Only eat food as fuel. Change your thinking from emotion to logic and you can do it!!!!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Ho many calories are you on?
    I was on 1230 and found that very hard, especially when I had a day of no exercise. I upped my calories by 250 and all of a sudden it's been much easier, many days I stay well under that (so at my "old" calories of 1230).
    It's all in the mind for me, now that I feel I have a little more breathing space, I'm less "obsessed" by it - even though in the end I usually don't even need the extra 250 cals.