Calorie Question

Options
Maybe some of you more experienced MFP peeps can help me with this. I have a dish that I am going to sook but I have no idea how to factor the calories for the meal. I have nutrition labels and I am ready to do whatever I need to! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• soon2bgaudet
    Options
    Maybe some of you more experienced MFP peeps can help me with this. I have a dish that I am going to sook but I have no idea how to factor the calories for the meal. I have nutrition labels and I am ready to do whatever I need to! Thanks in advance!
  • msblondy16
    Options
    kudos to you for counting! i do not cook at all so i only eat things that i can calculate calories for. how sad is that?
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    If you add all the calorie counts for the ingredients together, then divide by the number of servings. You can do the same for protien and carbs and fats too. Hope this helps!
    Robin
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Okay there is a site I think it's called sparkspeople or some thing that you plug your ingredents in to and it figures everything for you. Then you go to foods and add a food not on the list and type in the info. I'll go look for that site quick.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I did it the other day by dividing all my ingredients by 1/4 (my guess on what I was going to eat) and plugging in each one individually.

I probably over estimated by a bit, because I ended up eatting much less than a fourth of it (made a whole lot of soup). Worked out well though and figured it was a decent estimate. Takes a little time, but worth it.
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options

Thanks! I love to cook, so I will definitely be using this!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    i add all my ingredients as a meal, then save it under my name and title.
    (jeannie's meatloaf)

I select, then divide by serving size.

So when I eat my meatloaf, I select 50% cuz I love my meatloaf and cant stop eating. Then I post the next day how I went over on my fat and protien because I ate a pound of beef.

Sorry...OT...
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I used the sparkpeople recipe calculator a couple times and cannot stand it. Too many steps, too many complications. Now, I simply write it all out, counting calories in the ingredients, dividing by how many servings I think I'll get out of the dish. If it's something I will make again, I enter it as a personalized food here (example Lauryn's Homemade Ranch, although I don't think I made that public for other's to search the food database for) with calories per serving.
  • eHarris
    eHarris Posts: 160
    Options
    (jeannie's meatloaf)

So when I eat my meatloaf, I select 50% cuz I love my meatloaf and cant stop eating. Then I post the next day how I went over on my fat and protien because I ate a pound of beef.

Sorry...OT...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: did you see this from the other day? Its on a thread here somewhere...

Man chews through belly-busting 20-lb. burger

CLEARFIELD, Pa. - It took Brad Sciullo 4 hours and 39 minutes to finish a marathon. A meat marathon, that is.

The 5-foot-11, 180-pound western Pennsylvania chef is the first person to eat a monstrosity called the Beer Barrel Belly Bruiser: a 15-pound burger with toppings and a bun that brought the total weight to 20.2 pounds. The mountain of beef is the product of Denny’s Beer Barrel Pub, about 100 miles northeast of Pittsburgh in Clearfield.

Sciullo, 21, of Uniontown, said he was surprised he finished the sandwich Monday. “About three hours into it, things got tough,” he said.

When asked what possessed him to eat a burger that big, Sciullo said: “I wanted to see if I could.”

The burger included a bun, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, onions, mild banana peppers and a cup each of mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard and relish, pub owner Dennis Liegey said.

For completing the challenge in the under-five-hour time limit, Sciullo won $400, three T-shirts, a certificate “and a burger hangover, as I call it,” Liegey said.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I use the sparkpeople recipe calculator all the time. It makes things a lot easier since my Mother-in-law bakes quite a bit. I can eat her goodies without wondering if I'm logging the right amount of calories!
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I used the sparkpeople recipe calculator a couple times and cannot stand it. Too many steps, too many complications. Now, I simply write it all out, counting calories in the ingredients, dividing by how many servings I think I'll get out of the dish. If it's something I will make again, I enter it as a personalized food here (example Lauryn's Homemade Ranch, although I don't think I made that public for other's to search the food database for) with calories per serving.

I know what you mean. I usually will just google the name of what I'm making and find something with similar ingredients and use that info
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    (jeannie's meatloaf)

Sorry...OT...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: did you see this from the other day? Its on a thread here somewhere...

Man chews through belly-busting 20-lb. burger

CLEARFIELD, Pa. - It took Brad Sciullo 4 hours and 39 minutes to finish a marathon. A meat marathon, that is.

The 5-foot-11, 180-pound western Pennsylvania chef is the first person to eat a monstrosity called the Beer Barrel Belly Bruiser: a 15-pound burger with toppings and a bun that brought the total weight to 20.2 pounds. The mountain of beef is the product of Denny’s Beer Barrel Pub, about 100 miles northeast of Pittsburgh in Clearfield.

Sciullo, 21, of Uniontown, said he was surprised he finished the sandwich Monday. “About three hours into it, things got tough,” he said.

When asked what possessed him to eat a burger that big, Sciullo said: “I wanted to see if I could.”

The burger included a bun, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, onions, mild banana peppers and a cup each of mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard and relish, pub owner Dennis Liegey said.

For completing the challenge in the under-five-hour time limit, Sciullo won $400, three T-shirts, a certificate “and a burger hangover, as I call it,” Liegey said.

Nothing quite that big... But my 15 year old has gone in the last two years to try the Hudson's burger challenge. It's a 1 lb. burger (two half pound patties) that you try to eat in under 3 minutes. He's smarter than some, because he gets it with only ketchup, and he'll let it sit (while they stand and watch you--to make sure you're not cheating, I guess) until it cools down enough to eat. Last year, it took him 3 minutes and 41 seconds to do it, this year 3 minutes and 12 seconds. And then the kid sits and eats his fries while the rest of us eat. And jokes that afterwards he could eat another. I don't think he could, but it's always the skinny ones who surprise you at those dumb food contests... The 85 lb lady who one the grilled cheese eating contest... lol
    Robin