Still confused re: Polar FT4 and FT7, please help

Options
jrbanta
jrbanta Posts: 4,264 Member
Okay I've read everything on here regarding the Polar HRM's FT4 and FT7. Someone mentioned the battery in the FT4 has to be changed by the manufacturer but the battery in the FT7 can be changed by the owner. I was researching the FT4 online and I read one description that said the battery could be changed by the owner. Is this a newer model/revision? I'm interested in the FT4 but don't want a HRM that has to be sent back to the company to get a new battery. Does anyone know about this?

Replies

• carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I'm interested in the FT4 as well. I have only read that it has to be sent back. I would like to know more too.
  • sirphilipe
    sirphilipe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just bought the FT7 on Ebay for $135 Australian. Hreat HRM. Extremely easy battery change. All you need is a strong fingernail or bread knife to open the battery compartment. Same on the chest link thingy.

I totally recommend it.
  • paulagabay
    Options
    The FT4 I have read can be changed by the owner. I have always bought new ones though when the batteries die. I have a drawer full of heart rate monitors that I am going to take to the jewery store so see if the guy there has the right batteries. I love the FT4
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the FT4 battery does not really have to be replaced by the manufacturer. Maybe, if you get a warranty or something, you can take it back to the store to get it replaced. I bought the FT7 from Best Buy and got the 2 yr warranty, so they will do the maintenance for me.

Best. Purchase.Ever.
  • writenina
    writenina Posts: 35
    Options
    I just got the FT4 - the battery can be changed by the owner.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    One difference between the FT4 and FT7 is that the FT7 can be used with a dock to load data directly to the polarpersonaltrainer.com web site. Very useful for me.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    in the manual for the FTF4 is says that they prefer if you have them change out the battery b/c they like to test certain functions while they have it but that there are directions posted on their website for how to change it yourself if you prefer.

hope that helps.
  • miatavixxen
    miatavixxen Posts: 373
    Options
    Here via the customer information on the FT4. They only RECOMMEND that you have it replaced by an authorized polar service center as they will check for water resistence, etc. The batteries last about 2 years.

Changing Batteries

To change the battery yourself:

Change the sealing ring of the battery cover every time you change the battery. You can purchase the sealing ring/battery kits at well-equipped Polar retailers and authorized Polar Services. In the USA and Canada, the additional sealing rings are available at authorized Polar Service Centers only. Keep the batteries away from children. If swallowed, contact a doctor immediately. Batteries should be disposed of properly according to local regulations.

When handling a new, fully charged battery, avoid clasp-like contact, i.e. simultaneously from both sides, with metal or electrically conducting tools, like tweezers. This may short circuit the battery, causing it to discharge more rapidly. Typically, short circuiting does not damage the battery, but may decrease the capacity and thus the lifetime of the battery.

1. Open the battery cover with a coin by turning it from CLOSE to OPEN.

2. When changing training computer battery (2a), remove the battery cover and lift the battery out carefully with a suitable sized small rigid stick or bar. However, prefer a non-metal tool for wrenching the battery out. Be careful not to damage the metal sound element (*) or the grooves. Insert a new battery inside the cover with the positive (+) side facing the cover.
    When changing transmitter battery (2b), place the battery inside the cover with the positive (+) side facing the cover.

3. Replace the old sealing ring with a new one, fitting it snugly in the cover groove to ensure water resistance.

4. Put the cover back on and turn it clockwise to CLOSE.

5. Re-enter the basic settings if you changed the training computer batteries.

And there you have it! i LOVE my polar FT4. :D
  • rgalloway49
    rgalloway49 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    On the FT4 I think it is recommended that the manufacturer (or an authorized jeweler) change the battery because it is water resistant to 30m. The owner can change it easy enough, but there is a seal that needs to be in there correctly for it to remain water resistant.
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When I bought mine, I was told it has to be sent in to make sure it's sealed properly in case you want to use it when you swim. The ft7 has a diary that keeps track of your exercises for a week at a time. I have the ft4 and love it. I'll probably send it in for a new battery - it should take less than a week to get it back.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Question: I am on Sportchek.ca and they are calling the FT7 an ENERGY POINTER...what does that mean? Will it still calculate my burn during a workout?

Whats the difference between an Energy Pointer Monitor and a Heartrate Monitor?
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    i just got the FT 80 and its a great help...it does everything the major functions are weight training and fitness training....it is my trainer that i cant go to the gym and get harrassed by.......the only thing it doesnt do is get me moving (but it does have an alarm to tell me when its time to exercise:)
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. That really helps with my decision. I know I don't need the FT7 because I have no desire to upload data to my computer and track it. I just want to know what's happening during my current workout. So I can assume that all of you like your choice of brand for your HRM, Polar?
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump!