Is it better to eat late or not at all?

Options
So it's 10 pm and I still have 906 remaining calories. Yes, I know this shouldn't happen and I should have things planned but I didn't. My question is do I go ahead and eat something even though it is so close to bedtime or do I just brush my teeth and go to bed?

Replies

• qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Got any nuts
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    To be honest I'd end up going to sleep but I don't know if thats the "right" answer. Make a smoothie!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat something. If you are not hungry, brush your teeth.
  • lkyeomans
    lkyeomans Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No nuts in the house.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you eat? Metabolism doesn't stop because you're asleep. I eat until 1 or 2 in the morning. I'm more active at night, so that's when I also do my workouts. It hasn't hurt my weight loss.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    We farm and ranch so our meals are always late. We just ate dinner and it is 8:23pm here. It is really hard to eat earlier, but we do tend to eat less when we eat late.:smooched:
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry?

If you're hungry, have something.
    If not, don't force it.
  • shawnaloeppky
    Options
    If you've got that many calories to go I think you should eat SOMETHING, but nothing major ... I can't sleep if my stomach is growling I don't know about you... you don't want to eat that entire 900 calories but maybe something under 300 calories that has some protein... just a suggestion.
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Eat a bowl of healthy cereal or something so it tides your stomach over until morning. That or else you're going to wake up starving and want to gorge in the morning. Your body is still burning calories while you sleep, so start it off right.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I would eat something, or else I'd wake up in the middle of the night with my stomach rumbling! Don't eat a lot, but something would be good. I just ate a banana myself and had a small glass of unsweetened almond milk. This always seems to satisfy me.
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If u got all those cals left, id say prob eat them! if you have the calories for it and arent already over, eating later isnt a big deal. its all about calories in cals out so if you have the calories for it, just bc its late aint gonna hurt nething.. it will hurt you more in the long run if your not eating enough. if your not hungry at all, im sure you could get away w not eating em and be okay though, as long as you dont do this every night. Are they actual calories? or are those calories burnt thru excercise?! if its calories from excercise, i wouldnt worry much about it if your not hungry just let em go. most people I notice really dont eat many of their "extra" excercise calories even tho everyone always says we are supposed to! people tell me all the time, EAT THEM and then ill look at their food diarys and they themselves are hardly eating back any of them! so it just confuses me more..! if your hungry and u know u got those calories, go ahead and eat something if your not hungry and feel like u would hafta force it, i wouldnt worry about it. just dont get in the habit of leaving that many calories over every night or it will prob hurt you in the long run
  • DOCwilliams
    DOCwilliams Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    if you are serious about reaching your goals.GO TO BED !! Try very hard to have good/healthy snacks thru out the day.Do not get to 10 PM and start thinking about food. Good Luck !!!!! u can do it !!!
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    What time do you go to bed? I dont go to bed until 1130-midnight, so I eat my dessert around 9, 930. If you are going to be up for a bit, try some nuts or almonds. I eat the 100 calorie pack blue diamond cocoa roasted dark chocolate. Sometimes, if Im hungry but its getting late, Ill have half of the bag so my tummy isnt grumbling all night . Hope this helps!
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    go ahead and eat its not harmfull for your body to eat late, just dont stuff yourself with things that are heavy....thats hard on your metabolism while your sleeping
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    it's 8:30pm here.. i just had supper... and i know i still have a snack planned that i will likely have in about an hour or two.

If this is not a daily occurence *being way below net calories) then eat of you are hungry, otherwise don't.
    Doing that occasionally is not going to hurt you ..it's if it becomes a regular 'thing' that the potential problem begins.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    if you are hungry eat.

Otherwise you may wake starving and over compensate in the A.M.

Or

wake in the middle of the night starving and not be able to sleep.

If you don't eat, prepare something healthy. So that if you do wake up hungry you'll have a healthy option all ready prepared and don't end up making bad choices because it's the middle of the night and you really just want to eat something so you can get back to sleep.
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat.

If not, don't.

easy peasy. : )
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Try a large glass of chocolate milk, some peanut butter, cheese, etc (good protein, high fats).

For most people, eating late is not going to cause a problem. Some people have trouble sleeping eating late, but most don't. That said, if this is a rare occurrence, just make up what you can tonight, maybe eat a bit extra tomorrow, and try to plan better next time. :wink:
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Agree 100%
    If I am hungry, I eat, regardless of time or calories remaining. If I am not hungry, I would go to bed. I also try to keep in mind that if I am hungry and I'm going to eat I don't need a large meal at the time when my day is winding down and I need less fuel.
  • NguyenTJ
    NguyenTJ Posts: 35 Member
    Options

DITTO!!