This is all new to me

I just joined this website in hopes to be able to track the progress I WANT to make in losing weight. I have 3 young children and am afraid that I will not have the time to dedicate to myself to lose weight. Does anyone else feel guility if they try to set aside time to focus on themselves and not the house, the kids, the husband? How did you overcome that guilt and get started on a new you???

Replies

• I just joined this website in hopes to be able to track the progress I WANT to make in losing weight. I have 3 young children and am afraid that I will not have the time to dedicate to myself to lose weight. Does anyone else feel guility if they try to set aside time to focus on themselves and not the house, the kids, the husband? How did you overcome that guilt and get started on a new you???
  • U can do it , you have to become a planner and find time some way some how. Give no excuses and make time . They need you to be here when they are grown so it is vital . believe me im 170 lbs over weight , and Im gonna do this and be happy for me first .
  • I agree, that I am not doing any of us any good if I am not happy with myself.
    Thanks and goodluck to you.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    You have to think of yourself. Eating healthy does not take time from your family. Exercising can be done as a family.
    You have to want this, and if that it what you want, you will do it.
    Positive thoughts and little steps, and you will succeed:flowerforyou:
    And remember-It's not a diet....It's a lifestyle change:flowerforyou:
  • Making myself a priority is definitely a new concept to me. I am a stay at home mom of a four year old and have a hard time buying clothes or even getting a haircut. I finally had a revelation that my whole family would be happier if I took the time for myself to do what was important to me. If it's getting in shape then that's even more of a reason to feel good about it, because of what that will mean to your family now and in the future. The healthier and the more energy you have, the happier you will be and you can be that much of a better mom and wife. That's my philosophy anyway. We are eating dinner at least an hour later every night and my husband has to start it when he gets home from work so I can go work out. I would never have been able to realize that I needed to make myself happy too, if he hadn't encouraged me. Hope you have the same kind of support and know that you really are doing them a favor by doing this for yourself.

Good Luck and stick with it!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    :flowerforyou: You can absolutely do this.

Welcome
  • It just seems like it is so much easier said than done!! I KNOW I can do it, I just need more time in a day it seems. I am just getting started though so I hope it will be easier. Lucky you that he cooks dinner, mine is at work all day (he works doubles 6 days a week) so I have to bring the kids to the gym after work.
    Thank you for the vote of confidence, sometimes you just need to hear that making time for yourself is OKAY. ANd in the long run everyone else will be happier too!!!
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    My mom tells me all the time "YOU COUNT TOO!!!!!!":flowerforyou:
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Hang in there.. You can do it. We ARE all doing this...and together we can move mountains! (of fat!)
    Cowboy
  • Mother knows best huh?
    And great comment of moving mountains of fat, Ha-Ha
  • Your situation is different from mine, but the philosophy is still the same. I can't imagine how hard it must be to find time to go to the gym. Maybe the first step could be working out once a week, when it's most convienient. I heard someone say recently that no one does big things, they do lots of little things that, when looking back, turn into a big thing. Also helpful, the cliche "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step" Sounds cheesy, but it's helped me stick with my diet and working out lately. I would think that would apply to any situation. Hope it helps you too! I'm rooting for ya! :flowerforyou:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    I too have struggled with finding time for myself, but not finding time for myself is how I ended up here! Making a lifestyle change that will last includes making time for yourself! I'm lucky in that I found a gym that has childcare, but I also try to work out at home while the kids watch their morning cartoons or a movie. I also enrolled my 3 year old in an unparented class at the gym and take my 1 year old swimming and to the gym while she's in class....it's not an intense workout, but it counts and for that day, that's all I have time for! Plus I think spending time playing with my kids at the gym or swimming teaches them about living a healthy active lifestyle! And last but not least....prepare meals in advance. Make double and freeze half for a later date..............hope that helps! Good luck to you!
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    I had this dilemna at first too, but I know my husband and children will be sooo proud of me when I have lost the weight I want to lose. I'll be able to run round after the kids and the dog and it'll be a whole new life - I can't wait !!!! :wink:

Now I make up extra and let the family tuck in with me, the boys especially enjoy new foods - and healthy eating so I'm really lucky there. My hubby, well, he's a different matter, he is a fussy eater, won't eat much in the way of meat, and doesn't like a lot of veggie meals - so it's interesting, he's a big fan of pizza, fish, chips - junk food! So I buy the healthy eating options, he's happy to compromise.

As for exercise, I take the dog out during the day when the family are out - she loves a long walk, the longer the better - although, I come home nackered, she's ready to go again!!! :grumble:

I just started a new job, as a carer in the community which also entails walking between clients homes, so I'll get plenty of exercise.

Your not alone with this worry, we all start off with it, our families will always have a place in our hearts, and exercise and new eating lifestyles can be for the whole family - nowhere does it stipulate that it's a one man (or woman) band.

Good luck :smile:
  • The gym I am visiting on Sunday does offer child care with the ability to watch them from a monitor screen on each machine. I have yet to see how that is gonna work!! But it sounds like what I would need to put myself at ease while making time for myself. Seeing that they are okay and having fun will take the guilt out of leaving them. And I do leave them, I work out of the home part time 3 days a week. I TOTALLY agree with you that they will be happier when they see me happier. I know I will feel great when I can wear something nice instead of my baggy sweats and t-shirts. (I work in my own office and can wear just that to work too, so I have fallen into wearing that every day!) My oldest always tells me that I look beautiful when all I have done is actually put on jeans and a sweater and blowdryed my hair instead of the everyday ponytail!!! Ha-Ha. I am eager to get started. I am working on counting calories and that is how I found this AWESOME site. My problem is that I am not getting 1500 calories a day. In order to loose weight you have to consume the same amount of calories every day right? And call me crazy but learning how to read and count calories seems IMPOSSIBLE! I guess I should have paid attention more in health class years ago. LOL. But when you are counting calories, do you add the calories from fat to the total calories? or do you just take the total calorie count and use that for the item? Sorry if this sounds silly, but I just am not sure about all of this stuff!!!