For the Moms Out there---> Stretch Marks

Options
Okay so im a newer mom (my daughter is 11 months old), and Im just wondering when, if ever, do stretch marks fade? I've lost most of the baby weight and have about 15lbs to go...my baby pooch is skrinking, but i still have yucky white stretch marks (I use cocoa butter everyday still). Any idea or suggestions???

If i have to live with these things forever, id rather know now so i can get used to it :-(

Replies

• tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    More than likely...they are there to stay. Its ok...I cried to!
  • 1111renee
    1111renee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am 11 years postpartum with twins........LOL and I have had them since...........faded some, but tan fat is better than white fat :)
  • dodoodoodo
    dodoodoodo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i have an almost 8 month old and mine have faded some but i still have them, ugh. don't know if i'll ever be able to wear a bikini again :(:(
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I know u dont like them but they will prolly always be there, but they will fade. Just think of them as beauty scars from ur baby :smile:
  • twilks11
    twilks11 Posts: 29
    Options
    As hard as it is they never truly go away..they will fade with time but I still have mine and my youngest is 12. I used coca butter for 5 yrs straight and still have them..Best of luck..
  • chelledmal
    chelledmal Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My son is 9 months old. Mine are still purple! I will say this though, you may have to learn to live with it :) I have stretch marks on my legs from about 10 years ago just from growing a few inches one summer. They are not nearly as noticiable, more like little "canyons" haha. Oh the joys of being a woman!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they're heriditary. They might fade a bit over time, but they won't go away.

Try vitamin E oil or keep with the cocoa butter.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    They will always be there. Like everyone else says they will fade with time.

I call mine my tiger stripes!! *rawr* :laugh:

Plus, I look at it this way....if I have a rockin set of abs, who cares if I have stretch marks?!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The ones I have from my daughter (2 1/2) have faded some, but I can still feel them. I had a few on my sides that were huge and red/purple for a long time and the color has faded but the skin is still definitely stretched. The ones I have from my son (11 months) have faded, but two pregnancies with stretch marks have my belly kind of gross. I'm planning on getting pregnant again, and we're planning on twins, so it's not getting better any time soon! My husband and I have resigned ourselves to the fact that I'll need a tummy tuck and breast lift/implants, and I'll have that done when the next baby/babies are in either preschool or elementary school. I just have to find a good enough surgeon so that my scarring won't be too bad.
  • raznaya1234
    raznaya1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have three kiddos and sadly, I still have stretch marks from my first. I really like using Palmer's Cocoa Butter for Stretch Marks. It's helped me and it smells good :) Hope this helps!
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    The only way to get rid of them is with some awesome expensive surgery. Sorry hun.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    They don't go away. Sorry. I got them BAD with my son BUT bio oil and mederma helped me to make them a little lighter in color and less dark. Also tanning.
  • lisabernard
    lisabernard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    my kids are 19 and 15 and I still have mine :-(. I was searching the store yesterday for something to help make them go away and I did see something by Mederma, but it was $40 for a very small tube. Made me wonder if it would actually work....... Just didn't want to risk that much money to find be disappointed if it didn't. Has anyone tried it?

- Lisa
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sadly, on their own, stretch marks fade to white but never go away. Keeping them moisturized improves the look of them on the surface. I don't know if that fake tan stuff makes them look better or not, you can check into that, it might. However there are a couple of things that do work. First, I'm pretty sure Retin-A (prescription strength) works on light, not too deep ones. You have to stick with it because you go through a really uncomfortable dry, itchy period for a while, and if it's a dry area it might always be kind of uncomfortable. I tried it years ago on my boobs and it actually made the marks go away. It's also expensive, though (especially Retin-A micro which is less drying), since it's not prescribed for that and not covered by insurance. Talk to a dermatologist about that. Also, "tuck" surgery fixes them (tummy tuck for example, anything that stretches the skin back to where it was), but that also leaves scars (though apparently very faint if it's done well).

By the way you can get them from gaining and losing weight (where mine are from, from a long time ago), not even a lot of weight, not just from having kids.
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    I heard that if they're purple or reddish brown that you have hope.. I had purpleish stretch marks on the backs of my thighs and immediately began an intensive workout/diet regime to get rid of them, and they did go away completely. The silvery white ones, however, are scars. (I have those too). And I don't even have any children! But don't worry, most women have them.. I read about 90%. That includes skinny girls too :wink:. I think we pay more attention to them than any one else though!
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I have a 7 year old and twin 3 year olds and my stomach looks like a road map. They are so bad even though they have faded they still look AWFUL! I have just decided if I can look good in a tankini I will be happy without showing my stomach. It is just something you will have to live with but they will look better on a flat ab than a fat ab LOL.
  • maherrera
    Options
    they're here to stay! :(
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I also have an 11 month old...and a 6 yr old. I got stretch marks from my first and thankfully the ones I got from my second one just extended slightly off the ones I already had. So yeah I still have them, they're white now and have faded somewhat but they're still there. I have used cocoa butter, bio oil, vitamin E, mamma butter (or something like that) nothing has really worked. I did exfoliate with one of those feet brushes that have 2 ends one of them is a white rock-looking end, used aveeno in the shower and vitamin e capsules after...that has helped the most. If you do try it don't exfoliate to hard and if you "accidentally" do (I know I did thinking it would work better) give it a few days before you do it again.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    tried mederma too..it didn't work :(
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had stretch marks from before I got pregnant (gained a lot of weight in my early 20s and then lost 70 lbs the year before I got pregnant)...so now I can use the excuse that they were from pregnancy and not from my rapid weight gain :)
    I think that you've just got to embrace them...they may fade and they may not - but if you're fit and healthy, you should have nothing to worry about!!! Focus on the fact that your body produced a wonderful little one and your stretch marks are your battle scars that you wear with pride!!!
    (Also, a little self-tanner doesn't hurt!!!)
    Keep up the great work!!! We momma's have to be here to support one another :)