Quinoa anyone?

Options
Have you tried quinoa? What's it like? I'm trying to find an alternative for brown rice and came up with this. Is it better than brown rice? Do you know of other alternative for brown rice? Where do you buy your quinoa? Is it much more expensive than brown rice? Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• carolynmittens
    Options
    it's very similar to cous cous but much healthier, it's technically a seed and it's a complete protein which also contains fiber. you can get it now at most grocery stores if they have a "natural" section, and you can always find it at whole foods or health food stores. if you're looking for a brown rice alternative you could also try barley or kamut - they are super healthy also :)
  • Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Most grocery stores carry quinoa... even costco carries bags of organic stuff. I know many grocery stores carry it as well in their bulk bins. It is not expensive, and is a great source of protein! It has a slightly nutty flavour to it, but will take on whatever you pair it with. I have had it as a breakfast cereal, salad, rice substitute... my kids call it baby rice.
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i was so excited the first time i tried it...then i tasted it...then i spat it out! everybody's taste buds r different...lol...
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's also extremely inexpensive, even cheaper than brown rice.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love quinoa!!! It doesn't really have much flavor, so it takes on whatever you add to it. It's technically not a grain, but as someone else said it's a seed. I think it has the texture of the tips of brocolli. I buy mine at Whole Foods, but I've seen it at Trader Joe's as well. It's not too expensive and a little bit goes a long way. I cook one cup (dry) and it makes about 4 cups cooked. So even if it seems more expensive than rice, you get a lot for your money. I like to eat mine w/ sauteed red peppers and onions, but I think you could add almost anything savory or sweet.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    It was as easy to make as rice and took the same amount of time. It has a nuttier flavor. It is a complete protein. My hubby and one of my four kids liked it...they don't usually go for the healthier version of things...they prefer white rice to brown rice...since hubby is the biggest problem we end up making both...but they liked this....
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    White Quinoa is the cheapest. My kids love it and so do I. Red Quinoa is good, but my hubby did not like it much. Black Quinoa is the healthiest but quite a bit more expensive.

White Quinoa:

1 cup quinoa I use ancient harvest
    1 3/4 cup chicken broth
    3/4 cup lemon juice
    1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
    1 green bell pepper diced
    1 red or yellow bell pepper diced
    1/2 red onion diced
    3 cloves garlic diced

in a stock pot saute all the veggies with 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt. after about 5 min add juice and broth. Once boiling add Quinoa and cover. Cook on low about 15 min.

In separate skillet brown shrimp with olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper. Cook about 10 min Add to Quinoa the last 5 min of cooking.

Then enjoy!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I was afraid of quinoa for forever, until I finally took the plunge last month. No idea what I was fretting about. I prefer it cooked in stock instead of water if I’m going to eat it on the side. I have stuffed it in burritos and used it in wraps.

My favorite way to have to was in this quinoa salad. I ate it like fiend: http://www.marthastewart.com/283997/quinoa-and-corn-salad-with-pumpkin-seeds . My husband really loved this recipe: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/beef-potato-and-quinoa-soup.html .
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    bump they all sound great :)
  • shorty702
    shorty702 Posts: 57
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think i'll take the plunge as well and try it. I might buy a small bag for starters, in case it's not to my liking. I live in a fairly small city, so I hope I can find a store that sells it. And I didn't know there were 3 colors of quinoa, interesting. 1 cup uncooked=4 cups cooked? wow! Thanks for the recipes as well!
  • shorty702
    Options
    For those considering barley and/or quinoa. 1 cup of cooked quinoa = 254 calories. I cup of cooked barley= 194
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I I love barley for breakfast. 1 cup uncooked also = 4 cooked cups. I put it in my little baby crock pot and cook it over night. I add cinnamon and vanilla while it is cooking. It is great for breakfast.

I add some cream, butter and hazelnut agave nectar.
  • Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    For those considering barley and/or quinoa. 1 cup of cooked quinoa = 254 calories. I cup of cooked barley= 194
    Although, in that same cup Quinoa has 9 grams of protein, and Barley only has 3.5 grams.... so if you are trying to eat higher protein the extra calories are worth it!
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    I love quinoa! My favorite is putting some mushrooms and a little feta cheese in it, so yummy! It's pretty bland, so you have to doctor it a little. I also like eating it wth some cinnamon, dried cranberries, and blueberries for a breakfast oatmeal-like dish. So many things you can do with it!
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    quinoa also comes as pasta which is great. you can cook the quinoa in chicken stock to add more flavor to it (I use a low sodium chicken broth) or you can toss a handful into your soup and cook it in your soup juices.

lately I've been using millet instead of rice. millet has tons of healthy attributes (just google it) and totally performs as rice would. I cook 1 cup of millet in 2 cups of chicken broth until all the liquid is absorbed. Its very flavorful.

I most of my food a a local natural foods coop, but you should be able to find millet at a whole foods type place as well.

good luck and happy eating!
  • shorty702
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes! Looking forward to trying it.