Late Night Snacking

Options
I would estimate that around 50-70% of my calories are consumed in the last 4-6 hours of the day, which I already know isn't good - and a lot of that is due to after-dinner snacking. How do you guys stop the late-night cravings, or what do you substitute? As a student, I definitely have my fair share of late nights working on assignments and studying for finals, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• reggie0126
    Options
    i drink a glass of water instead of food or i eat a fresh piece of fruit.
  • elifefull
    elifefull Posts: 46
    Options
    I snack on fruit, so it can cut my sweet tooth cravings.
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Jello or jello sugar free pudding snacks...they are low cal
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    A cup of tea or low-cal hot chocolate....and I keep my hands busy doing cross-stitching so it takes my mind off the fact that I want to snack. I've also got post-its in my kitchen that ask if I really want that food!
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting with the whole weight loss thing, but as a college student as well, I know the feeling. I have access to a ton of free food on the first floor of our building as well. What I'm planning on doing is working out at like 11 at night because after I work out, I'm never hungry. I can also come back and study for another two hours without feeling tired.
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I eat soy yogurt, it tastes delicious and it's packed with protein so it keeps me full. And like stated above, water. Even if u really feel like something sweet, drinking water really helps. Before i get my cravings I always try to fill up a big bottle that I can sip on while watching TV, and just curve the munchies completely that way :) Also working out whenever I've considered getting something unhealthy from the fridge, has worked. I always tell myself "Ok, if u HAVE to eat one, do at least 20 sit-ups first, and then think again" I do it and usually really don't feel like snacking after. It won't work for everyone but it works for me :) Good luck!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I would estimate that around 50-70% of my calories are consumed in the last 4-6 hours of the day, which I already know isn't good - and a lot of that is due to after-dinner snacking. How do you guys stop the late-night cravings, or what do you substitute? As a student, I definitely have my fair share of late nights working on assignments and studying for finals, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The effects of meal timing are minuscule as long as you are in a hypocaloric state. Eat when you want as long as you are under your maintenance and meet your daily macros.
  • bINcontrolAC
    Options
    I have completely cleaned out my fridge/pantry of all the sweets and snacks I had. Now its filled with Sugar-free Jell-O, fresh fruit, nuts, steamed/fresh vegi, and water. I make sure I have a few different choices to snack on each day so I don't get bored of it and dream about snacks with high calories/sugar. First a few days were depressing but now after a week, I'm getting use to it.
  • britt_fit
    britt_fit Posts: 169
    Options
    I hear ya! I'm a student too and often when I'm studying I'm up really late. The best thing ever for me anyway is stove-popped popcorn! I have a microwave popper that can pop the kernels. Want to know the best part? 15 calories per cup!!!! I think it's delicious and it gives me something to munch on when I have the munchies :smile: Also dry cereal is great because you can get a fair amount for not too many calories. My current favorite is Cinnamon Burst Cheerios.