Joined today... Need Help! I've been working out everyday!

Options
:mad:
Hello all
I started working out about 2hrs cardio everday and have since gained 5lbs. My stomach is super big and bloated? I am trying to up my calorie intake becuz I think my body is hanging on to the little i have been eating. Plus I am not sleeping well at night. I have a trip to Hawaii in 2 weeks and was hoping to LOSE 5 lbs not gain!! Major frustration! About 4 years ago I stopped working out all together and dropped 20lbs. This is why I have been afraid to start back up again- Can anyone relate? I am trying to stay the course.. But it makes me want to stop exercising.! :sad:
thanks for reading..
Jade

Replies

• stressjunkie
    stressjunkie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's important to eat enough calories when exercising because your body will do just that, the metabolism slows down and it starts hanging onto anything you eat. Also, you aren't getting the nutrition you need if you aren't eating a healthy well balanced diet. This website warns you should never consume less than 1200 calories.

Some people when they start exercising will gain muscle which weighs more than the fat that's been burned, so if you are by chance on the lean side already, this is another thing that could be happening. Also, it isn't good for the body to do cardio every day. It is good to add in strength training and occasionally your body needs a break to relax. Try doing cardio every other day instead, that might help you out some.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    are you drinking enough water?? Clean foods? Your body is likely retaining water... I would step it down to less time. There is no reason you should be doing 2 hours of cardio at once. Your body needs recovery time to make progress so make sure you are taking that time to "rest" and that you are eating nutrient dense foods to aid in recovery..... Viewing your diary or getting details on your workout would help in giving you some feedback. Send me a message anytime if you want a second look. :-D You can set a password on your journal if you only want certain people to see it. I would love to help if i can. Good luck!
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    2 hrs seems like a lot to me. My trainer has me doing about 35 minutes on the treadmill.
    heart rate 130 for 20 minutes
    140 for 1 minute
    130 for 2 minutes
    150 for 1 minute
    130 for 2 minutes
    160 for 1 minute
    130 for 2 minutes
    170 for 1 minute
    130 for 2 minutes.
    cool down
    After a month, I told him I can go 1 hr instead of 30 minutes and he said stick with the 30 minutes at the correct heart rates, it was better for you. no need to kill yourself.
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ok Why is your stomach super big and bloated? thats my main concern
    whats your calorie intake now?
    Dont stop exercising you may need to throw in more than just cardio..
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    2 hrs seems like a lot to me. My trainer has me doing about 35 minutes on the treadmill.
    140 for 1 minute
    130 for 2 minutes
    150 for 1 minute
    130 for 2 minutes
    160 for 1 minute
    130 for 2 minutes
    170 for 1 minute
    130 for 2 minutes.
    cool down
    After a month, I told him I can go 1 hr instead of 30 minutes and he said stick with the 30 minutes at the correct heart rates, it was better for you. no need to kill yourself.
    I don't understand this method? Do you have physical limitations? Pushing beyond your comfort zone IS OK!
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had a simmilar situation. I worked out 3-4 times a week for 30-45 a day and didn't drop a lb in 2 months. I swithced up my diet a bit in Feb. and lost 2 lbs. I joined at the very end of Feb. and have already lost 10 more lbs. Counting all your calories keeps you honest. I still workout 3- 4 times a week, but now I know when I can have some chocolate or some other food reward, and when I've already eaten too much and better hit the gym hard to burn off the extras. It completely boils down to your calories in and calories out.
  • jesster64
    Options
    140 for 1 minute
    130 for 2 minutes
    150 for 1 minute
    130 for 2 minutes
    160 for 1 minute
    130 for 2 minutes
    170 for 1 minute
    130 for 2 minutes.
    cool down
    I don't understand this method? Do you have physical limitations? Pushing beyond your comfort zone IS OK!
    no physical limitations, but work midnights so tired most of the time. My trainer said 35 minutes was a good workout 5 times a week, achievable and sustainable with my schedule. Doing aerobics for 2 hrs seems like overkill. More like breaking your body down than just getting rid of fat.
  • jade3599
    jade3599 Posts: 22
    Options
    I know I shudn't expect miracles. I have to work on loving my body as is and stop berating it all the time. I know that being healthy and FIT is more important than necessarily dropping lbs. or looking skinny-minny. I think my 'muscle memory' is strong becuz i used to work out soooo much. So You think I shud work out less? And eat more?
    :noway:
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    The eating more completely has to do with WHAT you are eating. Clean healthy foods, grains, lean proteins, veggies, fruits, legumes, nuts, low fat dairies.... good food with high nutrient content. :-D I suggest you do more than just cardio, or mix up your cardio.... but again, I don't know what you are doing now....
  • jesster64
    Options
    work smarter(2 hrs is a long workout every day), eat some more, and stop stressing. And enjoy hawaii
  • LYNNPETTY93
    Options
    Hi, I have a question..
    How much dairy do you eat?
    Reason why I ask it this...
    Last year I had gotten really sick with acid reflux.
    First of all, I didn't know what was going on with my body. The pain was just out of this world.
    I thought it was my heart because I had gotten a gas bubble around my heart, and the doctor said it would past.
    But they came back and said I had acid reflux.
    At the time.. I was eating yogurt 3 times a day, and drinking my smoothies and eating "RAW".
    But this is what I notice..
    Everytime I tried to eat a yogurt. My body would cramp up. Like "TOM" was around the way. EVERYTIME..
    So I stop eating all dairy for 60 days, and my body got better and off the acid refluxs meds as well.
    Check your diet for the bloat problem...
    Also, if you are taking in a lot of fiber.. You could giving yourself 5 pounds of gain as well.
    The body needs around 64 to 70oz of water perday when you are eating loads of fiber. To help flush the system.
    Also, when you are working out with weights and hard cardio... for 2 hours.. You need to up that water intake.
    You will start to retain water if the body isn't getting enough for your muscles, organs, and body tissue.
    So up the water, and dail back on the cardio. Your body is "STRESSING OUT"
    Lack of sleep and pushing it into over drive will give your body a melt down..
    The list can go on and on to why you haven't lost and why you have gain weight.
    What is your calorie intake?
    What is your BMR?
    What is your daily burn with exercise?
    If you are eating around 1200-1400 and working out like that..
    Your body could be in starvation mode, and holding on to any fat that goes in as well..
  • jade3599
    Options
    No doubt I believe my body is stressing out! I have a very strict hypoglycemic diet.
    No or low sugars only complex carbs and protein/fiber. I can only eat fiber rich fruits. I have recently stopped all wheat and gluten and only eggs are allowed for dairy. I have almond milk for my oatmeal. I eat sweet potatoes and sunflower seeds. Occasional scrambled eggs. Edamame (soy beans) and bell peppers for a snack. NO starches, NO fruit juices, NO cheese or yogurt, NO Cereal, I eat a lot of brown rice and black or red beans. I don't eat past 8 o'clock. I cud up my water intake but I think I need to do a liver cleanse becuz body is retaining a lot of water.
  • SLwrites
    SLwrites Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, those are some pretty intense restrictions. Are you working with an MD or at the very least, a nutritionist? I can't imagine your body is getting everything it needs to keep up with that amount of cardio every day. What's your calorie intake? Also, livers don't really need any cleansing, that's a myth told by people who want to sell you stuff. Just don't do anything to hurt it and it will be fine.
  • jade3599
    Options
    I had the bloating problem in February when I upped my water to about 80oz. a day.. I gained about 8lbs. I had previously been drinking NO WATER. MOSTLY WINE... (BAD PLACE I WAS IN).. :grumble: So actually I did a natural cleanse I dropped the 8lbs within the week and then some... So the kind of cleanse I did- worked for me.
    For a few weeks I was fine and losing weight but then fell off the wagon for about 3 weeks... Started drinking wine at night again.. :(
    But since am determined to stay away from the alcohol and think that is a HUGE PART of why I need to cleanse again and and get those toxins out of my body..
    I have really appreciated all the tips and concern! thanks all!
  • jade3599
    Options
    I had the bloating problem in February when I upped my water to about 80oz. a day.. I gained about 8lbs. I had previously been drinking NO WATER. MOSTLY WINE... (BAD PLACE I WAS IN).. :grumble: So actually I did a natural cleanse I dropped the 8lbs within the week and then some... So the kind of cleanse I did- worked for me.
    For a few weeks I was fine and losing weight but then fell off the wagon for about 3 weeks... Started drinking wine at night again.. :drinker:
    But since am determined to stay away from the alcohol and think that is a HUGE PART of why I need to cleanse again and and get those toxins out of my body..
    I have really appreciated all the tips and concern! thanks all!