What do you guys do around Holidays diet wise?

Options
With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up sooner than I realized. What do you guys (and gals) do for dieting?

My husband and I plan to step up the stair climbing and such to work off extra calories that morning, so if we over do it, we have some calories already burned off.

Thanks for your info!:wink:

Replies

• mamajones
    Options
    With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up sooner than I realized. What do you guys (and gals) do for dieting?

My husband and I plan to step up the stair climbing and such to work off extra calories that morning, so if we over do it, we have some calories already burned off.

Thanks for your info!:wink:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I do pretty much the same thing you are doing. If I know I'm going to eat a little extra, I just put a little more oomph into my workout that day...and hope it cancels it out.:ohwell:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Personally I eat! *LOL* Which is why I'm here...
    I guess I would say that it's healthy to chow on holidays because otherwise you're going to feel left out and eventually u WILL just pig out. When I say chow, I mean try to pick out the healthiest things to mow down on, like the white meat turkey and the peas...and maybe just have small servings of the butter laden mashed potatoes, biscuits and stuffing :)
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I eat.

:drinker:
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    This will be my first time to actually keep on going through the holidays, so I've been wondering myself what I was going to do and I think for starters, I'm going to cut down on the amounts of candies/cookies/breads/desserts and all the extras I bake! Every year I find myself in the kitchen eating all the leftovers of that stuff! My kids and DH will have a fit if I tell them, so I will not let them know and see if they notice:happy: For me, it's going to be a matter of making my mind up and sticking to it! I will eat on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas, probably anything I want, but after that...:noway: :noway: :noway:
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I still eat, just smaller portion sizes of the "healthier" choices. I can't deny myself or I'd be setting myself up for failure.
  • MiaBellaFaith
    MiaBellaFaith Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Cry:sad:
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I let myself splurge a little, but only at parties or on holidays. I don't let myself have christmas cookies ALL of December, for example, only at xmas parties or on the actual holiday. Also, don't be pulled in by "limited time" stuff, like pumpkin spice lattes, or other things that are only available in the fall. Just because they only sell it for a few months doesnt mean you have to eat it.

Also, a good tip I learned in Women's Health Mag, that works well for me around Thanksgiving, is to load your plate with healthy stuff, like fresh veggies, white meat, etc. Then put a small portion of stuffing or cheesy mashed potatoes, or whatever your fav unhealthy thing is right on top. It makes your plate look more full, and makes it look to other ppl like you aren't dieting (keeps that pushy Aunt off your back lol) but still keeps you mostly healthy.

If I'm going to go to a party that I know will be super super unhealthy, I'll eat some veggies before I go, so I'm not so super hungry, which helps me control myself and avoid such binging.

But, it is a holiday. On the ACTUAL DAY, give yourself a break, enjoy yourself. You won't ruin or save your health in a single day, it's about accumulating good health over the years.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Also, don't be pulled in by "limited time" stuff, like pumpkin spice lattes, or other things that are only available in the fall. Just because they only sell it for a few months doesnt mean you have to eat it.

Yes I do! :laugh:
  • blondie456k
    blondie456k Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am part of a family that loves to eat, so If you don't, you feel left out. So I do a little extra in my workout to cancel extra calories. I know that with family meals there are a lot of things to eat so I try a little of everything BUT in tablespoons (excluding vegitables that are healthy NOT the bacon and green beans! ) That way your plate is full and you feel as if you got a little of everything. I usually estimate about 50 cal per tbsp. some things are healthier than others so it usually balances out. (You know those home made caramels are not 50 cal but it's usually a safe bet). I hope this does well for you! ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS!

Kirsten
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    MiaBella you beat me to it! When I read the topic my first thought was "Cry"! But realistically I go online and look for lighter versions of what I would normally make. Then I just eat small portions and exercise a little more. Honestly though when we are all together, we talk so much, that it takes along time to eat the meal so I don't eat as much. We usually make Turkey for Thanksgiving and again for Christmas so at least it's not red meat. If I make it a lighter version I usually don't tell the family and they don't seem to notice either.
  • msce2
    msce2 Posts: 35
    Options
    I was just wondering this as well. Thanks for all the great ideas!!!!
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    This year I'm going to be hitting the gym really hard the day before Thanksgiving and the day after. I also plan on going on a walk the day of! Plus we are doing a late lunch whichs means I'll end up only have two meals that day instead of the normal three we have.

For Christmas I'm hopefully going to be at my goal weight so it will be mantaining! My step dad and also lost a lot of weight so we're already planning on going bike riding a few times. Plus we don't have HUGE Christmas dinners like most people and we don't make a lot of sweets so I don't think I'll have it as hard as some.
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You can plan ahead and if you are going to family or friends house bring some healthy side dishes and appetizers.....
    Sometimes its good to eat something healthy before you show up to a gathering so you dont eat alot of other stuff that may not be to great.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: It's gonna be tough for me because I love me some Thanksgiving leftovers! But I can do this. I think I can :sad: I think I can :sad: I think I can :sad: . . . .
  • STACYESPARZA
    Options
    :sad: :sad: It's gonna be tough for me because I love me some Thanksgiving leftovers! But I can do this. I think I can :sad: I think I can :sad: I think I can :sad: . . . .
    Dont bring any leftovers home if you are going to a familys get together.....
  • STACYESPARZA
    Options
    Sorry I cant spell
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Dont bring any leftovers home if you are going to a familys get together.....

The leftovers are already at home. For awhile it was just my son and I but now my daughter and her family live in the town next door so maybe we can have Thanksgiving at their place and leave the leftovers with them. :devil: shhhh don't tell her, she posts on here sometimes too. :bigsmile: