Losing soooo slow... HELP!!!

Options
I have read through so many posts on here and learned so much that I thought maybe someone could throw out some ideas to me that maybe I hadn't thought of. Just a quick bit about me... I am 37 and 5'7" and currently weigh about 185. I started with MFP in December (well, not sure when I joined but that is when I really started working the program.) At any rate, since December 10th I have only lost 8 pounds. EIGHT... that is it. Isn't that a REALLY slow weight loss for almost 4 months?

I track my food 6 days a week (and usually eat about the same thing on the 7th day so...) I am exercising more and more. I have been walking (briskly) 2-3 days a week. Doing some light weight training 2 days a week and have also thrown in some running/interval training 1-2 days a week. Now, I will totally admit these are not marathon workout sessions but usually try to do 30-50 minutes at a time.

As for calories I have almost always stayed right at what MFP recommends which is 1670. I will be totally honest and I know myself well enough to know that I will never be the person who works out hours every day or who only eats 1200 calories a day. I can see myself doing what I am doing now, LONG TERM which I think is important. So, does that just mean I am destined to a very slow weight loss journey? Does anyone have any ideas of maybe something I am missing that I could do that may make a big difference?

Don't get me wrong... I am thrilled that my weight is going down and I feel better than I have in a long time. I just wish I could bump the losses up a bit. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Not sure 1200 is enough! You should eat your calories from exersise back! on days i know i'm going to the gym, i log my exersie in the morning , then have bigger meals those days!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have felt your pain!!! I average about 2-5 pounds/month... and I so wish it were more!! But slow and steady wins the race!

You sound like you've got a good routine and habits down, so that's good!

One thing that really helped me was the ChaLEAN Extreme workout. Now while I know the program is a little pricey, you can use the same concepts. She lifts HEAVY weights with fewer repetitions (usually 10-12)... and it's pushing yourself to the failure point to really build up those muscles. As a girl, you can't bulk up - so don't worry about that!! I did see a HUGE difference with the measuring tape - and the muscle helped burn more fat more quickly... Something to consider. :-)
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I hear you and feel your pain. Maybe you should,for one day a week,drop your calories to 1200. That woyld shock your metabolism and cause it to jump start it. I did that and it worked. I lost 22# since Jan 3rd. I NEED to lose more but maybe b/c of the slowness with you and me,it will stay off longer and easier. If you find the answer,could you please message me. Thanks.
  • sbchasin
    sbchasin Posts: 14
    Options
    You don't indicate what your NET calorie intake is....

Is it 1670 or something less than that?
  • chrishillfl
    Options
    Are you spacing your meals out to every 3-4 hours? That might help.

Also, you may want to change your profile to a lower exercise setting, then add your excercise only on the days that you do it. This will lower your calories for the days you are not excercising.

Changing your workouts may also kick start some additional weight loss because I think our bodies get used to what you "normally" do.

Sounds like you are doing good so far. You should be definately be proud of your progress.
  • dmb0174
    dmb0174 Posts: 31
    Options
    You don't indicate what your NET calorie intake is....

Is it 1670 or something less than that?

Yes, usually my NET is right around that. Lately, I have occasionally been as low as 1350 or 1400 NET but that is the exception not the rule.